i saw this and i though wow

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 5:32 am
Didn't mean to change the tone of your thread, but since this is your thread, I'll answer here. If the chat gets too long, maybe we should start a new thread in the open discussion forum. I'd think there's plenty of guitar players into martial arts also. My 2nd instructor was a guitar player.

I've been practicing WC almost as long as I've been playing guitar- so that makes it about 34 yrs. I've had only 2 instructors; first one I wont name, but my 2nd instructor was a first generation student of Duncan Leung, a disciple of Yip Man. I'm in a few of his instructional videos he put out some years ago. I had no interest in learning the pole and butterly forms, so I can't say I've learned the whole system. I was a student for over 10-12 yrs, then I was given permission to teach. I was an assistant instructor for my first teacher for awhile, then I quit his school, because I felt he was using me just to teach . I then taught privately for awhile (didn't charge). I've cross-trained in Aikido, boxing, kali, grappling. Learned how to apply a proper choke from Royce Gracie. WC, like music, is a never ending journey. I miss the workouts, and doing chi-sau, but there's no one I can work out with. When they learn who my teacher was, they beg off. I've managed to break my pinky on my fretting hand a few times, never set right, so I sometimes have a problem fingering certain chords. To tell ya the truth, I wish I had stuck with Tai Chi. My father was a master at it, but I was into all that flashy stuff like most kids.

WT, eh? Leung Ting has produced some really good fighters. I don't like the BS politics of WC/WT; it's like "who's the best guitar player?" I've always told my students, it's not the art, it's the fighter. When they got too cocky, I'd smack 'em around to teach them some humility. I'm all for full contact sparring; if you don't know what it feels like to get hit, you'll never last on the street, imo.

Music and WC, never will give either up! I'm now teaching my son both. Catch you on the boards! :)
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.