View post (i saw this and i though wow)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2008 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoI was kind of wondering how he wired his guitar- e.g, would it have been easier for him to play the way he does if he was wired righty while playing lefty. I googled him, and he mentioned in an article that it was difficult for him to find a lefty acoustic.

In any case, this guy is amazing. Was just looking at your tutorial, Kevin. I've tried tapping, but for some reason, I can't get the tapped tones to keep ringing, and it's not for lack of a good guitar/pickups/amp. I just don't know what's wrong.

When I took some lessons from Lenny Breau many years ago, he introduced me to his unique way of playing artificial harmonics he'd pick with his right hand 12 frets above what he was chording with his left, so I was pretty familiar with chord shapes with my right (picking hand).

Even with the exact same setup as another guitar player, I can't do anything but the most basic 1 finger tap, in my case meaning just hammering the string with my index finger. So I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong. I know it's me, not the responsiveness of the equipment.

I listened to your mp3- what was your setup? Pedals? I have a mess of pedals also. I'd appreciate any light you could shed. Not that I'm not working on a whole mess of other stuff. I've returned to playing after a big layoff, but I'm really interested in tapping! Nice to meet you, Kevin. Thanks in advance-I'll be looking at your other tutorials when I can.

It's partly to do with very low action and using a bunch of compression to even the notes out. I usually use a bit of reverb and chorus to sweeten the sound up a bit. Last but not least, I put a hair braid 'crunchy' thing around the 3rd fret to stop the open strings from running on.
I think I go over all that stuff in the first chapter of the tapping tutorial.

Other than that it's just tons and tons of practice. Ya have to train your right hand to be almost equal in technique to your left so it takes forever to get your skills up.