GT Solo Assignment January '08

equator
equator
01/03/2008 9:11 pm
Hi guys here is the backing track. Download it from my page and record your guitar solo over it.

About the track.
Key: Cm
Tempo: 100 bpm
Chord progression: Cm7 - Fm7 - Cm7 - Abmaj7 - G7 - Cm7
All instruments are panned to the sides; so, you can use center.

( P.S. I know for a fact that Soundclick members can download the mp3, but if the download is not available for non members just let me know and I’ll send it to your email )

Download the mp3

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/03/2008 10:59 pm
Really like this one man, not overly technical but tight, should allow the lead to breath. Plenty of options for direction too. Hope to get the time to submit something, will do my best to get an evening free to record. Should be very interesting to hear the various takes on this one.
# 2
Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
01/06/2008 11:26 am
Originally Posted by: equator
Chord progression: Cm7 - Fm7 - Cm7 - Abmaj7 - G7 - Cm7

I am having a real problem with that progression especially with the AbMaj7 chord - it sounds 'really' out to me! In fact, I am really having trouble just listening to the backing track because it sounds so out. I also cannot hear the change to the G7 chord - it's probably because my ears are totally made out of wood :(.

Sorry guys, but I'll have to sit this one out.

Cheers,
V.
# 3
equator
equator
01/06/2008 6:28 pm
That’s weird… I can hear the chord changes just fine. Anyway, I added Rhythm Guitar to the track. I hope that helps to make the chord changes more noticeable.

Download the mp3

equator's Music Page.

# 4
seazer
seazer
01/07/2008 1:19 pm
Hi to everyone for the New year hope to see regulars and some new players have a go,can only be good for you.Guys here are great.

This month's back track sounded pretty straight foward to me I can hear the changes fine but I try to feel them, maybe Vercingetorix you could try the feel of song more than just sound of changes just an Idea.

Its good to be back ;) for this month I played straight out of little Vox into mic and then comp no post processing this time It just felt nice and live as it was.Played with RG470 and tapped strat sound. Hope you like.

GT_Jan_cm7blues

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=724014&content=music
# 5
equator
equator
01/07/2008 10:34 pm
Hey seazer; welcome back, man. I’m glad you ’re participating this month.
I recorded my solo today. I did a single take; so, there are no small segments or overlapping parts.
Hope you guys like it. :)

equator

equator's Music Page.

# 6
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/09/2008 4:55 pm
Nice track EQ. I did a quick one and I have some missed notes and ring out but for now it will have to do. Not the best tone but I didn't have time to tweak my pod.

I'll have to check everyones takes later. :cool:

Bar Chord Nick
# 7
Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
01/13/2008 2:48 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorThat’s weird… I can hear the chord changes just fine. Anyway, I added Rhythm Guitar to the track. I hope that helps to make the chord changes more noticeable.

Download the mp3

Aha. The rhythm guitar really added the missing ingredient to the track. I think I may be able to submit something now.

Thanks for that equator.
V.
# 8
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/13/2008 5:09 pm
Here is my first attempt. I butchered it pretty bad. I just picked the C Melodic Minor scale and pretty much just ran up and down in a diagonal pattern. I think there are a couple of good parts. I just need to take some time and work on it. But here is the first take. There are plenty of mistakes. Feel free to give any advice you might have.Jan GT Solo
# 9
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/13/2008 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by: seazerHi to everyone for the New year hope to see regulars and some new players have a go,can only be good for you.Guys here are great.

This month's back track sounded pretty straight foward to me I can hear the changes fine but I try to feel them, maybe Vercingetorix you could try the feel of song more than just sound of changes just an Idea.

Its good to be back ;) for this month I played straight out of little Vox into mic and then comp no post processing this time It just felt nice and live as it was.Played with RG470 and tapped strat sound. Hope you like.

GT_Jan_cm7blues

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=724014&content=music

Hey Seazer I really liked your take on this one. Great sound and some really cool blues rock licks. Your take on your RG470 sounds much better than mine on my RG770. :)
# 10
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/13/2008 5:26 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorHey seazer; welcome back, man. I’m glad you ’re participating this month.
I recorded my solo today. I did a single take; so, there are no small segments or overlapping parts.
Hope you guys like it. :)

equator

Hey Equator thanks for getting the backing track out and getting this going again. I thought the GT Solo Assignment was going to die a slow death. Anyway nice solo. You had a very different take on it as usual. Very Progressive sounding. :)
# 11
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/13/2008 5:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickNice track EQ. I did a quick one and I have some missed notes and ring out but for now it will have to do. Not the best tone but I didn't have time to tweak my pod.

I'll have to check everyones takes later. :cool:

Bar Chord Nick

Hows the Cigar Box guitar? I still have not tried to make one. But I still want to try one of these days. Do you still play yours? Anyway nice solo sounded really good. :)
# 12
equator
equator
01/13/2008 6:18 pm
Hey guys. Time to review the solos submitted so far.

Seazer. I really like your take man. Nice tone and good rock/blues playing.
I listened to your take and picked up my axe and learned some of your licks :cool: . Thanks for that man, it gave me some new ideas to incorporate in my playing.

Bar Chord Nick. I always enjoy your riffing style man, you did a good job overall and your tone choice was excellent. I’m gonna steal some of your licks too. :)

FingerSpasm. I liked the opening passage, good timing and phrasing there; after that, it seemed like you were playing nonstop scalar sequences, sacrificing your phrasing as a result.
Most of the notes were in key, but I think that the Abmaj7 chord was giving you a hard time.
I can tell you have been working on your speed and your recording skills, just don’t forget to slow down a bit and workout your phrasing too. ;)

equator's Music Page.

# 13
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/13/2008 9:50 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorHey guys. Time to review the solos submitted so far.

I listened to your take and picked up my axe and learned some of your licks :cool: . Thanks for that man, it gave me some new ideas to incorporate in my playing.

Bar Chord Nick. I always enjoy your riffing style man, you did a good job overall and your tone choice was excellent. I’m gonna steal some of your licks too. :)

FingerSpasm. I liked the opening passage, good timing and phrasing there; after that, it seemed like you were playing nonstop scalar sequences, sacrificing your phrasing as a result.
Most of the notes were in key, but I think that the Abmaj7 chord was giving you a hard time.
I can tell you have been working on your speed and your recording skills, just don’t forget to slow down a bit and workout your phrasing too. ;)

You are right about the scalar sequences. I have been doing nothing but long scale sequences over the last month sticking to alternate picking ala Paul Gilbert working on my speed and timing. It has hurt my phrasing. But I plan on slowing down soon and maybe playing some blues to get that back. But I have been on a mission to work on my shredding skills. Thanks for the input!
# 14
equator
equator
01/13/2008 10:08 pm
Yeah, you have made a lot of improvement on your speed, alright. And as far as I can tell you are keeping the beat; so, kudos for that. And most definitely, playing blues and picking up an acoustic guitar every once in a while will bring the phrasing back to your playing. :cool:

equator's Music Page.

# 15
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/14/2008 12:10 am
Originally Posted by: equatorYeah, you have made a lot of improvement on your speed, alright. And as far as I can tell you are keeping the beat; so, kudos for that. And most definitely, playing blues and picking up an acoustic guitar every once in a while will bring the phrasing back to your playing. :cool:

Hey man thanks! Listening to guys like you on here has kept me inspired. I have always admired the way you always seem to have a totally different take on a song than anyone else. Always very progressive. Thanks again for the comments.
# 16
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/14/2008 12:14 am
I was inspired by the blues type solos that were turned in. So I did a 2nd take that is short and more blues oriented. Again very sloppy and I want to stress that I am doing this take after listening to Seazer, Bar Chord and Equator. I just wanted to see what I could come up with and maybe get some advice. Please do not use this take on the end of the month voting process.2nd Try
# 17
seazer
seazer
01/14/2008 10:54 am
Thanx for comments guys and thanx for your time and effort on the tracks Equator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by equator

I listened to your take and picked up my axe and learned some of your licks . Thanks for that man, it gave me some new ideas to incorporate in my playing.

Cheers mate anything in particular you would like to know only be to happy to help out with any licks you like__but if you work them out all the better :cool:
I enjoyed your take wasnt bluesy parse but grooved along more santana style cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerSpasm
Hey Seazer I really liked your take on this one. Great sound and some really cool blues rock licks. Your take on your RG470 sounds much better than mine on my RG770.

Thanx for that man, you are playing my Holy Grail guitar I been after one for yonks but at the right price just out of reach in my bay bidding.I spose I could hit my brother up for his 770 red when his deperate for money but he seems to have slowly butchered it with all his half finished projects on it poor thing (guitar that is) :D
Good to see you incorporate what you have been practicing into your track I find that happens to me alot what I have been practicing somehow finds its way in to my gt tracks even if totally different to the back track I try to make it fit.By the way the lick I did about 1.32 to 1.36 is a Paul Gilbert thing I was working on this month.You are on the right track leaning that stuff then incorporating into your style.Very adventurous track for you this month good stuff.

Bar chord Nick__Nice Groovy feel you have going,I could get straight into got me tapping along with it, good timing and structure.You have a nice feel for the blues style. Good stuff man.
# 18
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/14/2008 12:19 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorYeah, you have made a lot of improvement on your speed, alright. And as far as I can tell you are keeping the beat; so, kudos for that. And most definitely, playing blues and picking up an acoustic guitar every once in a while will bring the phrasing back to your playing. :cool:

Hey man thanks for the input. Playing some acoustic is on the agenda. :)
I agree with Seazer about your solo. I was reminded of Santana and Pink Floyd. A very good mix in my opinion. Keep up the good work.
# 19
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
01/14/2008 12:26 pm
Originally Posted by: seazerThanx for comments guys and thanx for your time and effort on the tracks Equator.
Quote:

Cheers mate anything in particular you would like to know only be to happy to help out with any licks you like__but if you work them out all the better :cool:
I enjoyed your take wasnt bluesy parse but grooved along more santana style cool stuff.

Thanx for that man, you are playing my Holy Grail guitar I been after one for yonks but at the right price just out of reach in my bay bidding.I spose I could hit my brother up for his 770 red when his deperate for money but he seems to have slowly butchered it with all his half finished projects on it poor thing (guitar that is) :D
Good to see you incorporate what you have been practicing into your track I find that happens to me alot what I have been practicing somehow finds its way in to my gt tracks even if totally different to the back track I try to make it fit.By the way the lick I did about 1.32 to 1.36 is a Paul Gilbert thing I was working on this month.You are on the right track leaning that stuff then incorporating into your style.Very adventurous track for you this month good stuff.

Bar chord Nick__Nice Groovy feel you have going,I could get straight into got me tapping along with it, good timing and structure.You have a nice feel for the blues style. Good stuff man.

Seazer... Thanks for the comments. I got lucky when I got my RG770. A friend was moving and decided to sell a bunch of his stuff. I got my Red one for $350.00 its a 1991 or 92. Its the one guitar I will probably keep forever. Has the red lightning bolt inlays on the fretboard and the floyd rose. I went through a phase about two years ago when I was starting out where I thought that buying a different and better guitar would make me a better player. So about 6 or 7 guitars later I realized that it was just going to take lots of hours of hard practicing and not a new guitar. But they do look good hanging on the wall.
Glad to hear another person using some Paul Gilbert in their playing. I think he is one of the best. His new CD Get out of my Yard is brilliant. Just got the tab for all of it and the instructional DVD. Once again thanks for the input. :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.