Some New Stuff - Take a look

Drew77
Drew77
09/25/2007 2:56 am
Alright i wrote this last night and then just now I re-wrote most of it so its ok.

Tell me what you think.

Just another ride through a cold dead town
across a country side marked by hands pointing down
the trees are all black and they're bark screams aloud
for this black heart that bleeds like rain from a cloud
it soak all the ground and the dead trees drink deep
for their roots betray them and all that they seek
and the black heart just grows like mold in a jar
and it pulse and spews it's acid like tar
he rips from your chest your heart he holds near
and squeezing it tight he fills it with fear

and your heart feels so soft

So your dove deep inside as if to find out
thats its not dark and grey, there was never a doubt
and now buried within this world flat and dead
you find yourself wishing you'd stayed out of my head

and your mind feels so sane

now empty streets a stage and the buildings back-drops
for the play masquerades and the actors are props
and the lights burnt out when the sun left the stage
but the play still proceeds as if nothing has changed

and the audience is rocks

------------------------------------------------

The one line parts are probably gonna be refrain type things and the lines will be repeated a few times.

--

Here is another one I did, it actually goes in that series I mentioned in the other thread if anybody cares but I may as well post it. Why not.

Master Puppet maker checks the broken puppets' strings
their crumpled bodies lay upon the metal floor of veins

and he hopes that some one saw this murder
he hopes that someone heard a murmur
he hopes that someone caught a glimpse
before time turned black and fact to mist

Cauterized with crack pipe crazed gone pilless for too long
suspect slaughter of his daughter lines round him are drawn

The strings that held these puppets breathing
life cut out before it's season
outside he knows there lurks a demon
outside he goes to find a reason

--------------------------------------------

With this I am constraining myself to a story so its been kind of a challenge but thats why I am doing it. It is much different just coming up with a random idea or imagery and writing about it then it is trying to convey a story well enough to be kind of understood but still be fairly ambiguous.

This part of the story is a detective at a murder scene and kind of switches around a lot as far as music goes (at least the way I hear it in my head) so the four line parts are sort of his thoughts and his perspective while the quick flowing two line parts are sort of describing the scene and what is going on/ happened (appears to have happened).

It is a murder suicide btw. I don't know why I wrote such a depressing story but I did, thats actually sorta part of the concept though that this whole situation seems very very depressing and hopeless form our perspective but if you look at it from other less obvious perspectives then pain becomes meaningless. I only mention this because the line:

suspect slaughter of his daughter lines round him are drawn

has dual meanings, ie he is suspected of murdering his daughter plus lines are literally being drawn around him as he is dead too. This is supposed to communicate the idea that it is kind of being assumed a murder suicide (it's not really one) but that the detective doesn't see it that way, as is supposed to be communicated in the next part.

Its a really complicated story, particularly when I put it into lyrics because I am trying to convey all this stuff into some form that may not be immediately obvious but that is still logical and works.

I'm not sure if I've succeeded at all here. Let me know please.
# 1
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 6:58 pm
You certainly have the rhyme going in the lyrics. I don't care for all the doom and gloom stuff. It would be interesting to hear the music.

Are you a musician and lyric writer?

I'm sure there is an audience for this, but it's not my cup of tea.

Thanks for posting it and keep it up. Whatever you do, don't become discouraged by any of my comments. You know how it is. Everyone has there own style, niche, etc. Just because one does care for it, does mean it nobody will.

Keep writing.
# 2
Drew77
Drew77
10/06/2007 2:26 am
Thanks for replying man, and don't worry about hurting my feelings, I just really like to get feed back, no matter what it is.

As far as the doom and gloom, I kinda agree actually... sort of. This stuff is, like I said, really really depressing when I think about it, but it is still stuff I am interested in and as I figured out recently (particularly with my painting) art only really works if you care about what your doing. I have tried fitting into other styles and such and it's not that I can't do it, but I just don't care as much.

I'm really only saying that because I hope it helps people. It seems like a pretty obvious thing but it took me a while to really get it. I couldn't understand why I was so unmotivated to create most of the time, and it turned out that I was trying to do something I didn't care about. I was surprised to find out that it actually (at least for me) takes some thought to really narrow myself down to a style/subject that I care about and that also express what I am trying to express. Probably because I am always trying to go in a million different directions at once.

I know people who's art just flows out of them at a constant pace and it doesn't seem like they have to think about it at all. I wish. And it's not that I'm not creative, I create constantly but because I have no focus and a lot of what I have kinda forced myself to do over the years is stuff that I don't really care about not much ever really makes it to a finished product. I lose interest.

I think this is probably a problem for a lot of people but Im not sure.

Anyways, now I am trying to focus myself on thoughts and feelings that really move me and stuff that I can stay motivated with from begining to end.

I am a musician btw, well first I am a artist (painting, drawing) and then pretty much on the same level as that I am a musician, but I love lyrics.
# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/06/2007 3:39 am
It's very good yes.. I am now listening to Guns'N'Roses - Estranged from Use Your Illusion II. This is what kind of music I am hearing going along with your lyrics, especially the first part of their song where it's quiet and comfortable..

The only thing I had trouble with is some of the imagery you were attempting to convey.. for example the second line "across a country side marked by hands pointing down".. hand pointing down? cactus?.. the imagery is there and it makes me think but just doesn't "gel" for me.. may be if I lived where you do it would make more sense and all that.

I don't know what emotions you are trying to express really.. it could be environmental, it could psychological.. just not sure what you're trying to do here..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
Drew77
Drew77
10/07/2007 1:35 am
its all psychological, I am not describing any physical place. I don't really like that line either though, I am pretty sure that one changed several times to better fit the context. I am gonna rewrite it I think.

Thanks for the comments. :)
# 5
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/07/2007 1:49 am
I believe you have some real talent and being an artist actually contributes to your creativity. What is your art work like? Is it bright and cheerful or does it too possess a dark side? I call it a dark side, I really don't know the terminology for your type music. I don't mean to sound demeaning, I just haven't been involved with this type of music.

It reminds of the old coffee joints were would be poets would recite there latest creations. In most cases their poems wouldn't rhyme and it took a lot of mind activity to decipher what they were trying to say. I really don't want to think that much. That's one of the reasons I like Bluegrass, Country, Folk, etc., because even though the lyrics show some creativity, they are simple and to the point. I mean you don't have to guess the singer loves his truck, woman, dog, bar fights and trains! That maybe a little mean, but you get my point.

I agree a performer, writer, or whatever has to enjoy what he is doing and no matter what it is, if he enjoys it he will become better and better at it. You must realize though, that if you are writing to make an income you must appeal to the majority of the market. Not to say, if you are writing a love song about your high school sweet heart that you can't ad a little of yourself into the lyrics and music. Even Johnny Cash wore black!

If you are writing for only yourself, then I have to ask why? If you believe in what your are doing and love it, and you are good enough, why not put it out there in front of the whole world and reap the profits? Money is not a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with being rich. It's what you do with your money that maybe bad and of course greed is bad.

Well, I better move on. I would like to see some of your paints. Is there a website where I could see some of them?

This has been a lot of fun.

Thanks.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.