Quest For Good Solid State Blues Tone

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/18/2007 8:46 pm
Ok fellas, I'm gonna attempt to slowly accumulate the effects pedals needed for me to get a decent blues tone on my solid state amp. The amp is a silly little Line 6 Spider II. But I figure if I add enough pedals and effects and bypass the amp, I should be able to get a decent tone on it...or correct me if I'm wrong. But what would you recommend I get. I've looked at plenty of rigs and I always see the Ibanez Tube Screamers and such, but I've been told thats not to manipulate a solid state to sound like a tube, but to enhance a tube amps sound. So I really don't know where to start.

I want to get a tone that ranges from an Allman Brothers like smooth, southern rock tone, to a beefy SRV tone. I have to accumulate in the way of pedals because I can't afford to drop 2 grand on an amp at any given time. So I figure, hundred here, hundred there, and I can work myself up to a decent sound.

Any suggestions? Or do you think I should just get some self discipline, and do it the right way and start a fund for a good amp? I highly doubt I'll go down that road because I don't have any self discipline with my money so suggestions about effects pedals are much appreciated.

Thanks for any input.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
03/18/2007 9:50 pm
It would probably be wise to just save for a good amp. I have a fender deville which I love and it's under a grand too. ($750) It's an amazing amp and the sound quality is awesome. Although, if you really want to get pedals, then I would suggest a blues driver or a tube screamer. One of my friends has been toughing in out with a marshall 50dfx, his ts-808 tube screamer and mxr phase 90. I would have to say its the best sounding 50 watt solid state setup I've ever heard. I myself am currently using a boss sd-1 which is a great pedal, and for the price its probably the best. I hope that helped. Good luck with your pedal search.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/18/2007 10:29 pm
Yeah, you probably give good advice...I could save money and get something relatively cheap and still get a good tone. $750 ain't all that bad. I usually can't accumulate large amounts of cash though due to lack of self discipline and the fact that expenses come up...
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
03/19/2007 3:29 am
Whatever floats your boat. What is your main use of your amp? Do you play in a band, or just play around or whatever? Because if you're in a band you're gonna want a larger amp anyways, but if you are just practicing at low levels, then pedals might even be the way to go.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 4
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/19/2007 4:08 am
At the moment, I'm just noodlin around and recording and such, typically at low levels. But who knows what may become of my status in my travels in the next few years. I doubt many bands are gonna want a guitarist with crap equipment though.... But I'd go the road of pedals for the time being.
# 5
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/19/2007 4:59 am
tube amp.....only way...have you checked www.craigslist.com in your area?? I found this on there tube amp cheap and there usually is good stuff cheap that you can go try and buy directly from the person selling.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/19/2007 5:37 am
That may be the way to go. Thanks Zoso.
# 7
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/22/2007 10:39 am
i have a digitech rp150 it has enough stuff in it to keep ya busy for years ... many great tones though, and all for @ 100 bucks
# 8
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/22/2007 7:59 pm
I've actually got an RP100. I think its older because now they seem to only make the RP100A, but mine is definitely just a 100. The tones are rather tinny and lack warmth. I've tried pretty much everything on it. So I'm fairly convinced multi-effects processors wouldn't be the way to go....
# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/22/2007 9:09 pm
Hey Grizz, check out the Marshall MG100DFX - very reasonable price and it has a nice solid state tone. You can go from shred to jazz with everyhting in between including blues and best of all it won't break the bank. If you have good technique and a nice guitar you will get a very nice tone for the money. I have one and still use it alongside my Mesa rig and Prophesy. BTW the MG100DFX is the amp version, not the head and cab combo. I've read online people complaining because they are the cheap end of the Marshall line but that just pure snobbery if you ask me, the tone kicks ass. Sure a TSL100 will sound better, but at four times the price.
You can find them in just about any guitar shop, pair one up with an Ibanez Tube Screamer and you should have all you will ever need;-)
# 10
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/23/2007 8:50 am
I tried out a Marshall Guv'nor today - not everybody's cup of tea, but I thought it had some gnarly electric blues sounds. It can also give you some straight-ahead rock lead sounds if you turn it up enough.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 11
clewnii
clewnii
03/23/2007 3:05 pm
very nice amp http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html

very nice pedal http://www.tech21nyc.com/gt2.html
# 12
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/24/2007 9:08 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI've actually got an RP100. I think its older because now they seem to only make the RP100A, but mine is definitely just a 100. The tones are rather tinny and lack warmth. I've tried pretty much everything on it. So I'm fairly convinced multi-effects processors wouldn't be the way to go....

thru the amp i found this to be true with the rp150 as well. but thru a stereo..or a power amp with enclosed speakers.. it is very good
# 13
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
03/25/2007 3:18 am
take a look at this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Womanizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal?sku=154701V&src
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/25/2007 4:04 am
Discontinued?? :p

hmm... "solid state blues tone", eh?....
Right, then:

Go ye to eBay.

Lurk ye there, prowling quietly and un-noticed.

Drop a last-second snipe-bid on an old Ampeg G-18 amp, confounding all lesser mortals.

For under $100, fill yer abode with ye sounds pleasing to the ear, smiling blissfully at what ye have wrought for less than the cost of a pedal.

Be happy :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/25/2007 10:39 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsDiscontinued?? :p

Right, then:

Go ye to eBay.

Drop a last-second snipe-bid on an old Ampeg G-18 amp, confounding all lesser mortals.

For under $100, fill yer abode with ye sounds pleasing to the ear, smiling blissfully at what ye have wrought for less than the cost of a pedal.

are ya saying it will part the 'blues' sea
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/25/2007 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwaxare ya saying it will part the 'blues' sea

It'll only work with what you put into it. Ya gotta do your part.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/25/2007 5:35 pm
can we all say ....AMEN
# 18
strat-man
strat-man
03/25/2007 8:58 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsDiscontinued?? :p

Right, then:

Go ye to eBay.

Be happy :D

Darn ye LATS! have you tried gettin a Ampeg G-18 on eBay uk? or any Ampeg for that matter! NON EXISTANT! dam it i can't even find new Ampegs in the uk, they're rarer than rockin horse s**t, and if they do exist, this is the uk so they'll be 4 times the price of us or canada! stop rubbin our noses in it you charlatan you! I'm stickin with me Vox's, and thats all i have to say about that! :D
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/25/2007 9:37 pm
Originally Posted by: strat-manDarn ye LATS! have you tried gettin a Ampeg G-18 on eBay uk? or any Ampeg for that matter! NON EXISTANT! dam it i can't even find new Ampegs in the uk, they're rarer than rockin horse s**t, and if they do exist, this is the uk so they'll be 4 times the price of us or canada! stop rubbin our noses in it you charlatan you! I'm stickin with me Vox's, and thats all i have to say about that! :D

My dear sir, why ever would you wish to restrict yourself to eBay UK? Does one seek gold in a coal mine? For example:

>1973 V-2<

>re-issue SJ-12T<

Even with the extortion racket otherwise known as VAT & Import Duty, a little G-18 would be a reasonable purchase. I can assure you that the couriers rape us Canadians with outrageous brokerage fees, even when there is no Customs Duty charged by the government. It adds significantly to the cost of acquiring these lovlies, but G.A.S. must be assuaged, yes?

VOX makes some excellent amps even now. The >Pathfinder 10<, their answer to the Ampeg G-18, is still being produced, to rave reviews.

"You can't always get what you want - but if you try sometime, you'll find you get what you need."
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.