View post (Quest For Good Solid State Blues Tone)

View thread

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/18/2007 8:46 pm
Ok fellas, I'm gonna attempt to slowly accumulate the effects pedals needed for me to get a decent blues tone on my solid state amp. The amp is a silly little Line 6 Spider II. But I figure if I add enough pedals and effects and bypass the amp, I should be able to get a decent tone on it...or correct me if I'm wrong. But what would you recommend I get. I've looked at plenty of rigs and I always see the Ibanez Tube Screamers and such, but I've been told thats not to manipulate a solid state to sound like a tube, but to enhance a tube amps sound. So I really don't know where to start.

I want to get a tone that ranges from an Allman Brothers like smooth, southern rock tone, to a beefy SRV tone. I have to accumulate in the way of pedals because I can't afford to drop 2 grand on an amp at any given time. So I figure, hundred here, hundred there, and I can work myself up to a decent sound.

Any suggestions? Or do you think I should just get some self discipline, and do it the right way and start a fund for a good amp? I highly doubt I'll go down that road because I don't have any self discipline with my money so suggestions about effects pedals are much appreciated.

Thanks for any input.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.