Training sore muscles?

acapella
acapella
02/21/2007 9:09 pm
What do you guys think? On Monday I did 100 pullups/chinups (not in a row, haha) and the next day around lunch time I started getting sore arms and back, not too bad. This morning I woke up and there was way more. My back isn't TOO too bad now, but my arms are still really, really sore. I mean, I've been working out for a long time on and off, pretty seriously for long stretches, and they've never been this sore that I can recall. So if they are still this sore tonight, should I do more anyway? The plan was to start doing this three times a week, and I don't want to throw off the schedule. However I also don't want to do it if it'll just be detrimental and tear down more than it builds up. But then some people think you SHOULD train sore muscles because it makes them feel better and whatnot. So what do you think?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/21/2007 9:24 pm
Have you done that many pull/sit up before? When ever I go riding and haven't been for a while, I'm all sore the next few days cause I wasn't use to the workout that you get from riding. Same thing when I first took wieght lifting in gym class. I think you just gotta get your muscles up to par, and 100 sit/pull ups was too much for them to handle.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/21/2007 10:02 pm
yeah, like creta said, you gotta work up to that.

my weight training teacher in school said if you're getting sore, you're doing something wrong.

I say start doing em again, just do like, 50 a day this week.
then go up to like 70 next week. etc. something like that'll work out for you better.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/21/2007 10:31 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaWhat do you guys think? On Monday I did 100 pullups/chinups (not in a row, haha) and the next day around lunch time I started getting sore arms and back, not too bad. This morning I woke up and there was way more. My back isn't TOO too bad now, but my arms are still really, really sore. I mean, I've been working out for a long time on and off, pretty seriously for long stretches, and they've never been this sore that I can recall. So if they are still this sore tonight, should I do more anyway? The plan was to start doing this three times a week, and I don't want to throw off the schedule. However I also don't want to do it if it'll just be detrimental and tear down more than it builds up. But then some people think you SHOULD train sore muscles because it makes them feel better and whatnot. So what do you think?

Okay, here's the deal; the only muscle group that you can work every day and not exhaust are the abdominals. Every other muscle group requires a 24 hour period to build. When you work out (anaerobic), you're actually tearing the muscles down. It's the rest period that is where you actually gain muscle. If you continually have your muscles in a tear down stage, you'll rarely see any improvement.

I always told my students that you know your body better than anyone else. If it's just a general muscular soreness from exertion, then you might want to give it a go. If it's PAIN, then no, you rest. You probably pushed too much for an initial start up. When you do that sort of thing, do pyramids. You won't do as many and you'll get twice the workout. Do one set of twenty, then two sets of fifteen, then two sets of ten then six sets of five but do the last ones AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE. You're muscles will be screaming when you're done but the possibilities of doing permanent damage is very slight.

I try to do 500 situps a night and 200 push-ups (on top of a 3-5 mile run) and that's how I try to train. Pyramids hurt but they build quick and you don't have quite the risk of injury. I know that when I do a large set like you described, when my body starts to tire, I end up doing to exercise sloppily and that's when you get hurt.

:)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/21/2007 10:47 pm
Im curently in gym and have lost close to 30 pounds and brought my body fat from 23% to 9.6%. Im here to tell ya when you start working those muscles at first you will be increadibly sore. Me personaly worst was the back of the arm (notice it mostly when washing my hair the next day). I do weights every other day due to the fact I do a rounded workout (arms, chest, legs, etc). I try to do my big cardio (45 min at least ) on my non weight days. I agree with Hunter... if its sore and its been 48 hours go for it. If it hurts dont do it at all till your over it. Just dont do it every day. Give those muscles a solid day to rest. You will get better results. Good luck.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
02/22/2007 12:18 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60When you work out (anaerobic), you're actually tearing the muscles down. It's the rest period that is where you actually gain muscle. If you continually have your muscles in a tear down stage, you'll rarely see any improvement.

Bingo.

When I was playing basebll in college we would have pretty intense workouts in the offseasons... The best kind of workouts hit your legs, core (abs, back, chest), and arms.... It's best to cycle the workouts. Here's what we did pretty often:

Monday: Arms and light cardio (running)
Tuesday: Legs, Core, long Cardio (before working the legs)
Wednesday: Arms and light Cardio
Thursday: Legs, Core, long cardio (before)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Legs, Core, Arms, Cardio
Sunday: Rest

Just to give you an idea of a layout... that's just what we did. Some people do less and some people workout 7 days a week.
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/22/2007 2:49 am
I say go for it. Then your muscles will be destroyed and I will be the strongest Greasy Knot!

......after Luke.
# 7
acapella
acapella
02/22/2007 3:38 am
Yeah, I know the difference between soreness and pain. I also know how muscles break down and build up. Which is why I decided that I won't do them tonight. I figure if my arms are still that sore they aren't done building up yet from last time, so I shouldn't break them more. Like hunter said, that's basically what I had been thinking.

Trust me fellas, I know what I can do and can't do, I've been doing this for a long time. I was wondering if anybody knew scientific reasons to go one way or the other, and of course personal accounts are always helpful. Thanks for the advice everyone.

And Brendon, the only thing that will be destroyed is YOU, by my HUGE MUSCLES.
# 8
ren
ren
02/22/2007 9:17 am
I've overdone it at the gym, and ended up more or less unable to move.... usually in the shoulders / biceps so I can't even put a shirt on.

Lying down and not moving for a couple of days seems to work... :p

I now take it far easier - because if I can't play my guitar, I'll lose my home.... and then I'd get rained on....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
clewnii
clewnii
02/22/2007 11:03 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaWhat do you guys think? On Monday I did 100 pullups/chinups (not in a row, haha) and the next day around lunch time I started getting sore arms and back, not too bad. This morning I woke up and there was way more. My back isn't TOO too bad now, but my arms are still really, really sore. I mean, I've been working out for a long time on and off, pretty seriously for long stretches, and they've never been this sore that I can recall. So if they are still this sore tonight, should I do more anyway? The plan was to start doing this three times a week, and I don't want to throw off the schedule. However I also don't want to do it if it'll just be detrimental and tear down more than it builds up. But then some people think you SHOULD train sore muscles because it makes them feel better and whatnot. So what do you think?

Stretch your muscles after you're done practicing. It helps to prevent some of that soreness. Thats the only advise >I< can give you. That includes before and after guitar-practice aswell. And if you usually dont stretch, then it should hurt.. abit.
# 10
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/22/2007 7:30 pm
Remember, your body only becomes stronger while you're resting. Working yourself to death won't do you any damn good without the proper nutrition and rest.

If you want to look strong and build speed, flexibility, and explosive power always bulk lift. Endurance lifting won't do any of that for you very well.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/22/2007 7:46 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraHow come it's only the abs that you can work every day?

I'm qurious as well.

What about the heart?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/22/2007 8:06 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60I try to do 500 situps a night and 200 push-ups (on top of a 3-5 mile run) and that's how I try to train. Pyramids hurt but they build quick and you don't have quite the risk of injury. I know that when I do a large set like you described, when my body starts to tire, I end up doing to exercise sloppily and that's when you get hurt.

You are diesel. I used to do 200 situps and 50 pushups and I thought THAT was good...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 13
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/22/2007 8:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYou are diesel. I used to do 200 situps and 50 pushups and I thought THAT was good...

I shouldn't destroy the myth but that's not in a row. (Hangs head in shame). I usually do 4 sets of 50 pushups and 5 sets of 100 situps. Now back in the day, I could actually do 100 push ups at a time but now, not so much.
# 14
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/22/2007 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraHow come it's only the abs that you can work every day?

Wish I had a scientific answer for that. (Are you listening Doc Simon?) But that's what I've always been told. Has to do with being the core muscles and the fact that everything you do uses your abs whether you know it or not. They are just designed to roll constantly. Yeah, they get sore but you can't exhaust them.

Good point about the heart. I should revise that statement, huh?
# 15
acapella
acapella
02/22/2007 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60I shouldn't destroy the myth but that's not in a row. (Hangs head in shame). I usually do 4 sets of 50 pushups and 5 sets of 100 situps. Now back in the day, I could actually do 100 push ups at a time but now, not so much.

Jesus, man. You did 100 pushups IN A ROW? Even 50 is crazy lots to me. The most I ever got up to was 40, and that took me 8 months of training, and then I didn't do them for a week and I couldn't do them anymore. So, wow.
# 16
aschleman
aschleman
02/22/2007 8:22 pm
One of the best things you can do for yourself is go to a GNC or something like that and get a multi-Vitamin supplement. I worked at a GNC for about 6 months to help out one of my friends that was managing one and that's the one thing that I learned while working there. Taking a multi-vitamin will help the resting period along and give your body all the nutrients that it gets deprived of when you're working out.
# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/23/2007 8:55 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaJesus, man. You did 100 pushups IN A ROW? Even 50 is crazy lots to me. The most I ever got up to was 40, and that took me 8 months of training, and then I didn't do them for a week and I couldn't do them anymore. So, wow.

HA, I used to do 50 in a row all the time. You poon.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 18
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/23/2007 10:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonHA, I used to do 50 in a row all the time. You poon.

OMG, I just laughed so hard beer shot out of my nose! I haven't seen anyone called a 'poon' in a long, long time....thanks for the laugh!
# 19
acapella
acapella
02/24/2007 8:34 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonHA, I used to do 50 in a row all the time. You poon.

How much did you weigh at the time?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.