Modes from a different view

joshbeetler
joshbeetler
11/27/2011 9:52 pm
I love how Pentatonics act so perfectly as a skeleton to all the Modes.

Once you get familiar with the tiny differences between the modes, you can interlace them with pentatonics and use the notes of the different modes interchangebly.

You can some really beautifuly/outthere stuff using modes, chromatics and pentatonics.
-Josh Beetler

"When you face the sun, the shadows always fall behind you"

-Hellen Keller
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/28/2011 3:24 am
I missed this before!
Originally Posted by: greyghoast17...how do I learn and memorize all those different modal finger patterns in all keys both major and minor?
... Is it memorization or hearing the sound?

You've kind of answered your own question there. It is a combination of playing it and hearing it. After playing it & hearing it, practicing it, memorizing it over & again, if you are paying attention, at a certain point it becomes second nature & you being to hear the modes when they are being used.

This tutorial deals with listening for the unique sound of each mode as well as shows a neat trick for using the pentatonic boxes to help simplify playing & memorizing them.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Go slowly, take your time, be patient with yourself. It's not something that happens quickly. But as long as you keep working on it, it will eventually happen!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
brenoazzi
brenoazzi
06/24/2012 12:27 am
Hi dvenetian,

excellent point of view!
:) Azzi.

Be kool and stay free.
# 3
TravisWright
TravisWright
04/15/2013 6:21 pm
There is a big difference between playing the right scales and sounding good because it's safe ( most guitarists do this ) AND actually SAYING SOMETHING MUSICALLY!! ( most guitarist do NOT do this )

Do you want to just sound good or do you want to connect with your listeners?

The modes are more than just scales and positions of the scale pattern in relationship to the key we are in. If you are really serious about gaining more musical freedom on the fret board and on ALL instruments... this is necessary to know.

Most professionals to rock stars know maybe only three or four different scales period. But they know their major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor scales and all 7 modes in each like the back of their hand and how to transition smoothly and musically sound between each.

It is a lot of work for most. True. It doesn't have to kill your fun. So, take your time. It is very exciting to finally understand not only what your favorite music influences are doing, how they do it, but why they choose it and why you (and everyone else) feels that way too when you listen to it. Even if it is... I don't know why but it just sounds so COOOOOOL!! True. But you will know WHY and how to not only duplicate but INNOVATE and CREATE your own stylings in their manner or your OWN. You can echo or be the source. THAT is truly fun!!!

Everyone plays for different reasons and everyone wants what they want. True. Challenge yourself to learn your modes. Start in the major scale and you will have more than enough ear and mind candy to help you create endless soloing possibilities on the lowest levels. The highest levels you will understand the relationships of every note's individual sound and how that makes us feel and it will translate to EVERY instrument and help you relate better to other musicians!!
# 4
TravisWright
TravisWright
04/15/2013 6:44 pm
ps... thanks dvenetian for starting this. I hope this adds to your thread in a most positive way.
# 5
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
05/15/2013 7:21 pm
I notice modal discussions spawn and die frequently in other forums. People love talking about them and taking turns trying to explain them. I found there is a group of music theory purists who try to dispell any way of learning modes except by memorizing the intervals. To me this is just crazy.
Learning theory should be about finding the easiest, most practical way to apply concepts.
# 6

09/18/2013 3:50 pm
yeah i so want to learn all their is about mode's how to use them ect.but i think i am chewing more then i can swallow.back to the basic...
# 7
JeremyRodriguez
JeremyRodriguez
01/02/2014 2:34 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetianRather than keeping the modes in order, I prefer to divide them by gender.
Minor modes with the minor scale and Major with Major.
Minor scale modes;
Dorian mode, minor scale with a #6th.
Phrygian mode, minor scale with a b2nd.
Aeolian mode, natural minor scale (not altered).

Major scale modes;
Ionian mode, Major scale (not altered).
Lydian mode, Major scale with a #4th.
Mixolydian mode, Major scale with a b7th.

Notice how each gender share 1 unaltered mode, 1 # and 1 b on both sides.
Take these modes and put them in a parallel key. G Ionian, G Dorian, etc.....
Use G as a tonal center and play the modes with G as a base in your chord structure; G Maj, Gmin7, etc... the possibilities are endless.
Take a look at the Pitch Axis Theory thread and you'll see how they relate.

This is the best way for me to look at modes. It is much faster than having to relate it to the root of the major scale. I have never seen it like this though. Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
14 Day Mini Course That Boosted My Alternate Picking by 30 BPM In Less Than a Week at NO COST at www.transformmusically.com

FREE Download of Forsake Me Not's debut single and annual VIP membership! Limited spots at www.forsakemenot.com
# 8
redrok57
redrok57
04/18/2014 7:54 pm
looks like i can learn alot from dvenetian. guess i should get back to basics, so i can understand this better and get the feel of practing these modes in real time. very good work my friend.
# 9
jaeler
jaeler
12/23/2015 9:56 pm
Reverse Engineering Modes

By trade I'm a keyboard player, so I have a fairly good technical knowledge of music theory. About 26 years ago, I had a question on modes. (music theory at cc, aced class) It was the only question on the finals I missed. I correctly deduced that modes were based on major scales at another interval. (this was way beyond scope of the lesson, I used my theory) My mistake was I placed those intervals along the major scale. I'm reviewing modes atm, and so I want to answer the question correctly. This is important, because it gives an easy way to extend the range of mode scales.

I'm using the root of C. A dorian is a a#/Bb scale, a Phrygian is a G#/Ab scale, a Lydian a G, a mixolodian is an F scale, the Locrian is a Db/c# scale (major)

This means a dorian will always be a #6, phyrgian a #5, Lydian a 5, Mixolxdian a 4, and a locrian a #1 (major)

Hope this helps.

(can also add, a major scale always has a relative minor from the 6th, so that would make a c aeolionan an Eb scale or a #2) (bit confusing, an A minor is a Cmajor, which is what I mean by a relative minor) Also good to know, because you can use a 6 minor to extend range as well. Of course It would have to be the 6th off of the alternate scale, so a mixolodian scale off of c would be a d minor,(or an F major) I'll let you figure out the math from there, but mode interval + 6minor

and feel free to correct if I'm wrong on any of my math. Pretty sure this is all right though.

BTW, the basis of my deduction is that modes follow the pattern of the major scale, whole, whole half, whole whole, whole, half, just at a different increment, so they must correspond to a different major scale. (we don't count the root note in all this, which is why only seven counts)

Can also add the importance of modes. As a keyboard player, I don't really think about them, I just follow the chords. Now If I'm playing a Cminor a Gminor and an Fmajor, that's a dorian scale. Its not the same as a Cminor, just a one note difference. I've moved from Fminor to Fmajor, just a single half step from Ab to A, and that makes a big difference.

Part two after discussion

Might have found something even better, that works off your jazz chords. I reverse engineered my prior calculations. I asked the question, what modes would follow the C scale. The answer accounted for the weird chord pattern in my prior calculations. This is where I made my original mistake, I oversimplified the math. (I was actually answering the wrong question, they asked me what is the 5th note of a D dorian scale, don't know, don't care, I was working on the scale conversions. I think the answer would be A which is easy cause I'm working with c, a B dorian, lets see, A major scale, need to look at piano, F#) I checked it on the scale finder, I was correct.

Back to the original question, what modes would follow C scale? The answer is obvious, if C and A are taken by major/minor scales, only 5 options are left, 5 modes. D, E, G, F, and B so a D dorian, an E Phrygian, an F Lydian G myxilodian and a B Locrian.

So following jazz chord progession from F, that gives me an F major, a G dorian, A Phrygian, Bb Lydian. C myxilodian, D minor, E locrian, and an F major, all the same scale, which would be a 15 fret scale run. (of course from there comes the tough part, I'll have to figure out how to translate that into pentatonic scales, would appreciate any help in that regard.)

I'll look up those tutorials as well, just learning a mode (and chord mode) a week, I'll get confused if I add more than that
# 10
JeremyRodriguez
JeremyRodriguez
03/02/2016 5:43 pm
Great thread here indeed! It is true that modes definitely are learned either by relating it to the "parent" scale or by WH patterns, or just by using related scales and raising or flatting certain intervals.

Personally, the easiest way for me it actually a mixture of both, and also depends on what instrument I'm playing lol.

For example, on guitar, I just memorize the patterns. I have yet to actually "dominate my fretboard" (as some say) and be fluent as far as quickly knowing which notes I'm playing.

On saxophone I relate it to either the "parent" scale, or the nearest mode to the one I'm playing. For example, If I'm playing E phrygian, I may think of it as just playing the leading tone into F lydian. Or if I'm playing G mixolydian, I may think of it either as G major with a flat 7 or just playing the C major scale. It all depends on the moment and how much I've been practicing LOL
14 Day Mini Course That Boosted My Alternate Picking by 30 BPM In Less Than a Week at NO COST at www.transformmusically.com

FREE Download of Forsake Me Not's debut single and annual VIP membership! Limited spots at www.forsakemenot.com
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.