View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

JeremyRodriguez
JeremyRodriguez
03/02/2016 5:43 pm
Great thread here indeed! It is true that modes definitely are learned either by relating it to the "parent" scale or by WH patterns, or just by using related scales and raising or flatting certain intervals.

Personally, the easiest way for me it actually a mixture of both, and also depends on what instrument I'm playing lol.

For example, on guitar, I just memorize the patterns. I have yet to actually "dominate my fretboard" (as some say) and be fluent as far as quickly knowing which notes I'm playing.

On saxophone I relate it to either the "parent" scale, or the nearest mode to the one I'm playing. For example, If I'm playing E phrygian, I may think of it as just playing the leading tone into F lydian. Or if I'm playing G mixolydian, I may think of it either as G major with a flat 7 or just playing the C major scale. It all depends on the moment and how much I've been practicing LOL
14 Day Mini Course That Boosted My Alternate Picking by 30 BPM In Less Than a Week at NO COST at www.transformmusically.com

FREE Download of Forsake Me Not's debut single and annual VIP membership! Limited spots at www.forsakemenot.com