For those about to quit...

polansky
polansky
08/15/2006 10:49 pm
I used to be a drummer, when I sat down in my kit I could "see" things, like I can see music in those drums, but now I'm in a struggle with the guitar.

Ok, I have a big trouble, I bought my first guitar in February last year (2005), it's august 2006...and... well... honestly I can't play a damn thing.

My teacher (and former guitar player of my band) was teaching me, he really knows a lot, he is a gifted guitar player (now he's a bit rusty but it's a fisical thing), he wanted me to learn like the "right way", you know? like first the notes, a bit of finger independence, then started with a little of scales theory, and then, some cords... sounds OK right?.

Music theory is insane, I get some things but sometimes it feels like so much to know only to play like really basic stuff, and then the fisical thing, my fingers doesn't seem to respond, sometimes I can move with comfort and sometimes I'm stiff like a wood board.

Quiting has passed trough my mind, and it really gets to me cause I want to do this, I wanna be on a stage, I miss that, I need it.

Is it normal to feel like this?, If practice is the point... how long should I do it?, and should I start right away with my 7 string or should I stick to my 6 string for a while?... I'm really confused. Help.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/15/2006 11:04 pm
Your Guitarist Teacher could be going too deep, too fast.
I started with a chord book and some simple songs - I practiced an hour a day and after 12 months I could play a dozen chords - and yes in the early months, I often felt like quitting
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/15/2006 11:11 pm
I agree. Sounds like too much, too fast. Save the theory stuff for a little later down the road. That's the way I'm doing it. I too started last year, actually last July. Had some lessons with a couple of different instructors but that didn't work out that well. So, I'm instructor shopping again but in the interim, I'm kinda teaching myself. Not the greatest method (for me anyway) but I am actually learning more on my own than I did with my instructors. Heck, it's been a year and I can play a few things, nothing overly complicated, but once you get a couple of songs under your belt, you'll get on a tear.

And yup, practice; there is no substitute.

One thing I figure is that if you have the passion, the desire and discipline, you WILL succeed.

No quitting. Your friends at GT would be very, very sad....
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/16/2006 1:08 am
Originally Posted by: polanskyhe wanted me to learn like the "right way", you know? like first the notes, a bit of finger independence, then started with a little of scales theory, and then, some cords... sounds OK right?

Nope.

1. He should teach you what you want to learn, not what he wants to teach you. That's one difference between a good teacher and, well, a not so good one.

2. How often do you go into a store, pick up some sheet music, read it and start grooving along? I'd say not very often. Music is appreciated by listening to it. Music is all about how it sounds. Learning about music should reflect that: the sounds come first. Even better: the sounds you want to hear come first.

I'm self-taught, because I had a lesson and the guy wanted me to learn some children's song about ants. So I went home and asked a friend how to play a song I liked. Then I taught myself stuff by ear and by watching videos of players who's music I admired. These days I know more theory than most musicians, but that's because over time I developed an interest in it.

I guess my point is: find someone who'll teach you what you want to be listening to, even if it's yourself and the internet. One thing I love about playing guitar is that I can make the music I want to hear. As musicians we don't have to wait for some band to write a song, record it and then release it if we want to hear something different; we can do it anytime ourselves.
# 4
dwreel
dwreel
08/16/2006 5:06 am
Your desire to learn to play guitar Has to come from way deep down with-in you. If all you want to do is impress people, well you will learn a few songs and probably play them good enough. But you won't be able to grow as a guitar player. After a while it will become less and less important to you and you'll move on to something else to "impress people". You have to love the music and enjoy listening to it as you play.
[FONT=Courier New]DW in NC[/FONT]
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/16/2006 5:47 am
Originally Posted by: polanskyI used to be a drummer, when I sat down in my kit I could "see" things, like I can see music in those drums, but now I'm in a struggle with the guitar.[/QUOTE]
This is where music comes from! That vision is a gift.
Treasure it; foster it; care for it and help it grow.

Originally Posted by: polanskyMy teacher (and former guitar player of my band) was teaching me, he really knows a lot, he is a gifted guitar player (now he's a bit rusty but it's a fisical thing), he wanted me to learn like the "right way", you know? like first the notes, a bit of finger independence, then started with a little of scales theory, and then, some cords... sounds OK right?.[/QUOTE]
NO! :mad:
This is the path that leads to playing other people's music, without knowing how to express your own voice.

Originally Posted by: polanskyMusic theory is insane, I get some things but sometimes it feels like so much to know only to play like really basic stuff, and then the fisical thing, my fingers doesn't seem to respond, sometimes I can move with comfort and sometimes I'm stiff like a wood board.

Of course! Music theory is valuable knowledge, but it must always be servant to the Muse; never the Master.

Theory is like the rules of grammar in language. You must know these rules in order to express yourself clearly; to be understood by all who hear you.

But you must have something to say. Without that, grammar and vocabulary just give you better ways in which to say nothing of importance. Feel the music within you. Let that feeling flow from you into the guitar. When you find limitations in your ability to transfer those feelings, then you can seek instruction in theory and technique.

[QUOTE=polansky]Quiting has passed trough my mind, and it really gets to me cause I want to do this, I wanna be on a stage, I miss that, I need it.

YES! Musicians, like any other true artists, do what they do, not because they can, but because they must! You can not truly quit. You "used to be a drummer", and now you are attempting the guitar. You are searching for a way to express what is in you. Even if you move on, still searching, and try a different instrument, you are always moving forward towards finding your voice.
[QUOTE=polansky]Is it normal to feel like this?, If practice is the point... how long should I do it?, and should I start right away with my 7 string or should I stick to my 6 string for a while?... I'm really confused. Help.

Stick with the 6-string for now. A 7-string guitar offers additional range for an accomplished player, but I think it is unnecessary for someone who is just starting to find their way.

And yes, such feelings are normal. I think you need to simplify your life a bit.

Choose a song that you know well enough to sing, and learn how to play the chords for it. Then learn how to play the melody. This song will serve as both a goal and an inspiration. And in learning it, you will acquire the physical dexterity, the knowledge of music theory, and the appreciation of compositional skills that you will make use of for the rest of your musical journey.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/16/2006 5:56 am
I gotta say, I'm on the verge of quitting myself. In a way, I guess I already have. I never really play guitar anymore. I pick mine up about 30 times throughout the day and just hold it. If I do feel inspired to play a note, it buzzes and I quit.

Today I practiced the A major scale for 5 minutes and found it challenging. And this after taking lessons for 3 years.

Los depression.
# 7
ren
ren
08/16/2006 7:55 am
I agree with the other dudes - you need to find a tune you want to be able to play and go learn it. It'll be inspiration in itself. The first song I learnt after the open chords strumming along type stuff was 'Stairway to Heaven'. I considered it a right of passage for a guitar player, and it isn't as hard as you might imagine. Fair enough, the solo might be a bit much but the rest will help you with your chord knowledge and your overall technique. It also give you the ability to repell sales staff in music shops... :D

Earthman, if your notes are buzzing play open strings - maybe 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica intro or similar - might help you get back in to it. I'm a big believer in self fulfilling prophecies - if you pick up a guitar expecting it to go bad, you increase the likelihood that it will.

Polansky, look for a book called 'Chord Chemistry'.... it really helped me back in the day - it'll have you understanding some of the theory but by playing chords rather than having to use a ton of brain power (and the focus here is on the chords, the theory is a nice bonus)... learning can actually be fun :eek: Keep up the drumming as well - having a good grasp of time will help you massively once you get over the hurdles you currently face.

I don't know if it helps you guys at all, but we've all been through this, and we've all come out the other side. It's like everything else, if you want it enough, it'll happen. I've been playing for 20 years, and although my hurdles are different to yours, I still have them.

The best advice I can give as a teacher is, if you're taking lessons and not progressing as you wish, you either need to have another word with your teacher to get him on track, or find another teacher. As Mark has said, the teacher should be taking you where YOU want to go.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/16/2006 8:00 am
I felt the same way as you for about ten of the eleven years that my parents forced me to play piano; that's because, for ten years, I was playing classical music, which I got absolutely no enjoyment out of playing. It was only in the last year that I got to start really focusing on jazz, which I loved to play - subsequently, in a fit of teenage rebelliousness, I gave up the piano altogether and moved onto the bass and the guitar :D. The point is, it's just like the others have been saying - you've got to play music that you like to get anything out of it. If the teacher that you have isn't teaching you what you like, he's probably not the best one for you - see if you can find yourself another one, as hunter said.

Earthman, to cure your bout of guitar aversion - perhaps you could try going to a gig or watching one of your favourite players on video/DVD/internet? I sometimes go through dry patches where I don't feel inspired by anything - then I'll see a player from one of the really good bands at my school playing, and I suddenly can't wait to pick up a guitar.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/16/2006 1:49 pm
When it comes to your "teacher" problem, and sound advice all around, I greatly agree with going to your instructor (it may be hard becuase he is a freind) and let him know what you would like to acomplish.

I "teach" also and the first lesson I have with any of my students is the "Interveiw". This first lesson is more about talking with a potential student and asking them what they 1) already know music, guitar or another instrument 2) do they even want to learn music notation, theory, etc. 3) what style do they want to focus on first (ask themto bring me 3 songs they enjoy and an explanation of why they enjoy it--helps to develop a lesson plan gfor chords, scales, soloing etc. (a good 6 months of lessons depending on the student)
4) gound rules for the student teacher relationship i.e. student must practice (not just 20 minutes before the next lesson) to continue learning and Teacher must relate and instruct the things which we have agreed upon.

I try to keep it a give and take and also realize that eventually the student may come and ask to learn theory and notation but the only thing any new student can think of is "I just wanna be able to play!" We have all been there done that:)

Pol and EB -- quitting is an option. One I don't beleive in but if you are not getting enjoyment now -- take a "vacation" first. Litterally put your guitar away for a week or 2. Don't touch it. Try not to listen to the "guitar inspiring" songs you usually listen to. Give yourself a break. Yes guitar playing is fun, great, awesome and inspiratioal. But it does take work, and as in life all work and no play can make music dull and boring.

Just my 2 cents.

I hate to see others struggle and dealing with the "Quitting Demon". I wish ya'll the best of luck in recapturing your muse.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 10
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
08/16/2006 1:50 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI gotta say, I'm on the verge of quitting myself. In a way, I guess I already have. I never really play guitar anymore. I pick mine up about 30 times throughout the day and just hold it. If I do feel inspired to play a note, it buzzes and I quit.

Today I practiced the A major scale for 5 minutes and found it challenging. And this after taking lessons for 3 years.

Los depression.

LMAO :D

Sorry i know its not funny but i went thru that same phase a while back. I would pick up the guitar, strum a chord, hear a buzz and be like "Screw this man!!". THen i'd drop the guitar and be morose for the entire day. Indeed there is nothing new under the sun :).

As far as quitiing Polansky, dont. Its like the others have been saying, learn to play the type of songs you want to play. I also started taking lessons with this one guy but he was teaching me how to read notes (which i already know since ive been playing paino for close to 7 yrs) and play songs like "Greensleeves" and or whatever the hell its called and "Amazing Grace". After a while i was like "screw this!" and started taking jazz guitar lessons. I already knew my theory so they went well and now im happy (somewhat) with my playing.

Point is man, learn what you want. I dont think Steve Vai, Satriani of B. King started off with "Greensleves" :mad:
# 11
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
08/16/2006 2:26 pm
i started my guitar playing by playing my fav song...ever since it helped me improve my dexterity...and then there was theory..no doubt it is a pain in the arse as it requires discipline...im no theory whore but i am starting slowlybut surely..give up...and i will hunt u down...!!! rather, gt will hunt u down..with pitchforks and strawhats...that right buddy... :D :D

seriously, dont get discouraged...start playing ur fav song...

NOW!!

[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 12
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/16/2006 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by: bunmiadefisayoPoint is man, learn what you want. I dont think Steve Vai, Satriani of B. King started off with "Greensleves" :mad:

I know what I'll be playing today: Greensleeves in the style of Vai, Satch and B.B.! :D
# 13
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/16/2006 4:22 pm
GreenSleves? Greensleves! Whats wrong with that? I learned to play it way back in '87 I just called it "Love me Tender" by Elvis ..... OH CRAP!!! ...quick get the napster and MPA Police and sue Elvis' Ghost and his current estate!!! :D

Just kidding.

Really though. Greensleves, Ode to Joy, and Twinkle Twinkle Little star are still things I teach some of my students. But these students tend to be in the 8-11 year old range and it is easier teaching them this than, the 4 finger exercise for strength and helps them recognize notes on the fretboard and music notation. Plus it focuses on fewer stings but gets them playing "something they know". I would not recomend or try to teach an older student these things -- unless the age is over 30 and they are starting as a newbie. Has something to do with the mentality of each age group and attention span and sometimes it is purely the individual that wants to learn.

Any whoo. Just wondered about all the "greensleve" bashing ;)

******EDIT! BrainFart! I was thinking "Aura Lee" vs. "love me tender". Recomend not to types posts when "on hold"*******
Sorry bout that :(

# 14
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
08/16/2006 5:12 pm
If my instructor had even thought about teaching me Twinkle Little Star i would have unstrung my high E and choked the bugger. :D
# 15
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/16/2006 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusEarthman, to cure your bout of guitar aversion - perhaps you could try going to a gig or watching one of your favourite players on video/DVD/internet? I sometimes go through dry patches where I don't feel inspired by anything - then I'll see a player from one of the really good bands at my school playing, and I suddenly can't wait to pick up a guitar.

Yeah, that's one of the things that works for me. I just have to make sure it's the right people I'm watching....whenever I watch my Led Zeppelin DVD, it just worsens everything. Jimmy Page is too cool for school.

But I am going to see the Chili Peppers in just over a month, maybe that'll get me going. :o
# 16
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/16/2006 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: bunmiadefisayoIf my instructor had even thought about teaching me Twinkle Little Star i would have unstrung my high E and choked the bugger. :D

LMFAO!!!! :D

If an 8 yr. old can take me then I just need to quit myself.

# 17
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/16/2006 9:14 pm
Originally Posted by: polansky

he wanted me to learn like the "right way", you know?

There is never a right way to play. There is a reason Hendrix and Van Halen are what they are.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 18
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/16/2006 9:46 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buck

But I am going to see the Chili Peppers in just over a month, maybe that'll get me going. :o

Don't be embarassed about the Chilli Peppers, man, they're awesome. John Frusciante is a flippin' genius. :cool:
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 19
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/17/2006 1:02 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusDon't be embarassed about the Chilli Peppers, man, they're awesome. John Frusciante is a flippin' genius. :cool:

I'm not embarassed, that was just the closest emoticon they had to an endearing smile. :)

And I totally agree.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.