View post (For those about to quit...)

View thread

Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/16/2006 1:08 am
Originally Posted by: polanskyhe wanted me to learn like the "right way", you know? like first the notes, a bit of finger independence, then started with a little of scales theory, and then, some cords... sounds OK right?

Nope.

1. He should teach you what you want to learn, not what he wants to teach you. That's one difference between a good teacher and, well, a not so good one.

2. How often do you go into a store, pick up some sheet music, read it and start grooving along? I'd say not very often. Music is appreciated by listening to it. Music is all about how it sounds. Learning about music should reflect that: the sounds come first. Even better: the sounds you want to hear come first.

I'm self-taught, because I had a lesson and the guy wanted me to learn some children's song about ants. So I went home and asked a friend how to play a song I liked. Then I taught myself stuff by ear and by watching videos of players who's music I admired. These days I know more theory than most musicians, but that's because over time I developed an interest in it.

I guess my point is: find someone who'll teach you what you want to be listening to, even if it's yourself and the internet. One thing I love about playing guitar is that I can make the music I want to hear. As musicians we don't have to wait for some band to write a song, record it and then release it if we want to hear something different; we can do it anytime ourselves.