since there is a thunderstorm in NOVA right now (cell phone related)

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
06/26/2006 2:16 am
I thought I'd share this bit of information, which I found amusing and sad.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060623074409990004&cid=2446

The cell phone craze is ridiculous. Everyone I know uses a cell phone. I don't understand the whole idea. I know it some cases it may come in useful, and if you don't have one you might end up very angry at yourself. How often are these situation going to occur.
People driving with cell phones also presents another danger. I mean how important is a phone call that you have to endanger yourself, and the drivers around you. The only place I know of that gabbing on the phone and driving is illegal at is in the Washington D.C. With slow moving traffic there, I'd consider it one of the less dangerous places to drive and talk. On interstates and highways, it just seems ridiculous. Nothing anyone has to say is that important (with a few exceptions of emergencies.)
Ring tones are done as well. No one cares about what music you like or what sound clips you find amusing. But people might as well keep flushing their money down the toilets to personalize there phone. Don't forget the cute phone cover one must get.
Don't talk on your cell phones in the rain. Geez!

# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
06/26/2006 2:25 am
i agree... its all bs...but it does help being able to be contacted all the time...other than that...nth else
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/26/2006 2:31 am
Here in Jersey they recently made it illegal to talk and drive unless you use a hands free headset. I hate it when people are on their phones because they either drive like an old person or drive like an a******. So whenever I pass someone and they're on their phone I make the "hang up the phone" motion to them. They get so pissed and I love it.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/26/2006 3:44 am
I never use mine. Last thing I want when I'm driving around is having somebody calling to bug me or asking where I am. I go out to get away from crap like that.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
06/26/2006 1:03 pm
I recently went 2 months without a cellphone after having one for about 6 years straight... At first it was annoying to not be able to call people whenever I wanted and to have people ask me what was wrong with y cell phone all the time... Then I kind of liked the ability to hide from people. If I didn't want to talk to somene I didn't have to worry about the guilt of not calling them back or not answering their phone calls. I finally decided to stop being lazy though and went and got a new cell phone... A Sony Ericsson w600i Walkman phone... it's pretty nice. I don't have to waste money on downloading ringtones because it has a built in mp3 player and I can assign my mp3's as ringtones... I also canceled my text messaging... There is nothing more annoying that someone trying to have a conversation with me on a cell phone... using text messaging... I can't stand it. You have a phone in your hand... call me... Don't write 3 page text messages that require me to concentrate and read... I'm too lazy for that. And if you want to talk about a driving hazard.... I see young people (mostly girls) all the time with both their hands on their phones writing a text message and driving with their knees... THAT'S a hazard....

I think the governments are splitting hairs when they start to make things like driving and talking on a cell phone illegal... If they make that illegal they're going to have to make eating and drinking beverages illegal too... along with any other task that distracts you from driving... When do you draw the line? More accidents are caused by people eating and drinking or changing CD's than by people on cell phones....

In Indiana they're trying to pass a law to make it illegal for any driver under the age of 18 to talk while driving... since the main market for cell phones are younger adults..... I don't really care. I always use speaker phone when I'm driving because I'm too lazy to hold a phone to my ear..... And I like it when people stare at me because they think I'm talking to myself... It's funny.
# 5
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
06/26/2006 2:46 pm
yea i have a friend that can do like 5 things at once while driving..and its really scary to sit in her car...driving a manual car, while talking on the phone and sometimes putting on lip gloss at the same time...i dont know how she does it..
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/26/2006 6:09 pm
Originally Posted by: aschleman
I think the governments are splitting hairs when they start to make things like driving and talking on a cell phone illegal... If they make that illegal they're going to have to make eating and drinking beverages illegal too... along with any other task that distracts you from driving... When do you draw the line? More accidents are caused by people eating and drinking or changing CD's than by people on cell phones....

But the problem is that after a lot of people get into accidents, one of the first things said is I was on my phone or I was dialing a number and when looked up....Not many people have trouble drinking/eating while driving, your moind isnt else where compared to a cell phone.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
pure
pure
06/26/2006 6:44 pm
I think cell phones are cool.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 8
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
06/26/2006 7:45 pm
Food and beverages have been around longer than cell phones.

My friend got in a car accident answering his cell phone. He was driving and it vibrated in his pocket, so he looked down to get it. Someone stopped suddenly, and he rear ended them. Luckily no one was seriously injured. He did get his knee launched through the dashboard though, and walked around with crutches for a while.

# 9
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/26/2006 8:43 pm
I've had a cell phone for 5 years now and must say it's a blessing and a curse. I love and hate being able to talk to anyone at anytime...
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/27/2006 2:40 pm
Even with a hands-free rig, a phone call is very distracting. People try to visualise the person they're talking to, and that takes a lot away from their attention to the road. If you don't think so, consider that when people are looking intently for something like an address, they always turn down the radio so they can concentrate. A phone call is a lot more involving than listening to the radio.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
06/27/2006 3:55 pm
I think it depends largely on the person. I myself, don't find it difficult at all to talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time... especially with a hands free unit. I drive with one arm all the time.... A year or so ago when I was still playing baseball in college my right shoulder always hurt so bad that I got use to driving with one arm all the time. I think that a large factor in traffic accidents involving cell phones stems from the large increase in the amount of children and adultst that develope Attention Defecit Disorder. There have been plenty of studies to show that ADD has been on the rise for the last 15 years. Steadily climbing almost exponentially. I believe that could possibly have something to do with it... I mean no offense to anyone who has the disorder. I have a lot of friends that suffer from it.

My point is that it varies from person to person and their specific abilities to multitask and their brains capacity to process information continuously...
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/27/2006 4:06 pm
People who have their cell phones on all the time are so whipped by the Man.
# 13
pure
pure
06/27/2006 5:37 pm
I am probably the only person at my school without a cell phone
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.