View post (since there is a thunderstorm in NOVA right now (cell phone related))

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
06/26/2006 1:03 pm
I recently went 2 months without a cellphone after having one for about 6 years straight... At first it was annoying to not be able to call people whenever I wanted and to have people ask me what was wrong with y cell phone all the time... Then I kind of liked the ability to hide from people. If I didn't want to talk to somene I didn't have to worry about the guilt of not calling them back or not answering their phone calls. I finally decided to stop being lazy though and went and got a new cell phone... A Sony Ericsson w600i Walkman phone... it's pretty nice. I don't have to waste money on downloading ringtones because it has a built in mp3 player and I can assign my mp3's as ringtones... I also canceled my text messaging... There is nothing more annoying that someone trying to have a conversation with me on a cell phone... using text messaging... I can't stand it. You have a phone in your hand... call me... Don't write 3 page text messages that require me to concentrate and read... I'm too lazy for that. And if you want to talk about a driving hazard.... I see young people (mostly girls) all the time with both their hands on their phones writing a text message and driving with their knees... THAT'S a hazard....

I think the governments are splitting hairs when they start to make things like driving and talking on a cell phone illegal... If they make that illegal they're going to have to make eating and drinking beverages illegal too... along with any other task that distracts you from driving... When do you draw the line? More accidents are caused by people eating and drinking or changing CD's than by people on cell phones....

In Indiana they're trying to pass a law to make it illegal for any driver under the age of 18 to talk while driving... since the main market for cell phones are younger adults..... I don't really care. I always use speaker phone when I'm driving because I'm too lazy to hold a phone to my ear..... And I like it when people stare at me because they think I'm talking to myself... It's funny.