Sweeping - should I bother?

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/16/2006 8:57 am
On the weekend, I got one of my first opportunities to jam on the guitar with a player other than my teacher. He was much better than me, so I mostly stuck to rhythm and let him play lead. Towards the end, though, he said that he wanted to try out a head that he'd come up with, so he switched to rhythm and asked me to improvise over it. So improvise, I did. He said that I was good (although I think he was just being kind), and he was surprised that I didn't know how to sweep arpeggios. He seemed to use a fair bit of sweep picking in his leads; he said that I should learn to sweep pick myself if I wanted to sound better. I don't know about this - I'm not much of a speed freak, and besides, I play fingerstyle, so I don't know whether it's even possible for me to sweep pick. What do you guys think - should I learn, or isn't it worth my while?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
05/16/2006 10:11 am
hey dude,

It's pretty hard (impossible?) to sweep pick fingerstyle. In my opinion I wouldn't bother with sweep picking until you've got a good speed with both your legato and your alternate picking, especially the latter.
In my opinion, sweep picking is in no way necessary to play good melodic fast solos, they always just sound like showing off, so until you're pretty good with your fundamentals I wouldn't bother with it.

(just my humble opinion, I'm sure others feel the opposite)
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/16/2006 11:07 am
when you start playing with a pick it's probably good to practice sweep picking no matter how frustrating it is, it's just handy you know. but no necessity for it really, but it lets you do cool things fast. Why do you play fingerstyle? Personal preference or force of habit? IMO picks are way better for solo's and i can neva get as much punch out of my guitar if i play with my fingers.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2006 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian Vickershey dude,

It's pretty hard (impossible?) to sweep pick fingerstyle. In my opinion I wouldn't bother with sweep picking until you've got a good speed with both your legato and your alternate picking, especially the latter.
In my opinion, sweep picking is in no way necessary to play good melodic fast solos, they always just sound like showing off, so until you're pretty good with your fundamentals I wouldn't bother with it.

(just my humble opinion, I'm sure others feel the opposite)

It's not impossible... just a tad harder. Check out any video of John Mayer play Neon...... he sweeps while finger picking pretty much the entire song. I would also imagine it's a pretty common technique used in classical guitar playing. I've seen some videos of Classical players playing pieces by Paganini.... in which you almost have to sweep....

But I agree... Sweep picking isn't a necessity to you being a good guitar player. It depends on what kind of music you're into... If you don't wish your style to revolve around playing the most mindless, emotionless, and tonally disconnected notes possible....... then I would say don't be concerned with learning a lot of sweeping... I myself can sweep effectively... better than most I'd say.... But when I play the biggest sweep I usually use is a three string sweep... I don't play fast and often times a big six string sweep sounds way out of place... Especially in a blues or rock setting... which I mostly play. If you want to be a metal God.... start learning and practicing this second though.
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/16/2006 3:59 pm
Sound advice all around.

It was especially good to see that you are branching out of your comfort zone by playing with others.

Never be embarrassed if some one is better. Just PLAY!!!

Personal preference will always determine what "style" you play. Sweep picking ( arrpegios ) are good to learn.

Try using a finger pick on your thumb if you still want to keep to your tradional method of playing but experiment on something different -- you will be amazed at the different ideas that will come to you.

The arrpegios are good to know and can be incorporated in more of a warm up setting since it will help you focus more on finger placement ( one note per string) and string recoginition (basically can you hit that string every time with out looking and with confidence). Also play/practice them at different speeds and stick with the 3 string variety yo begin with.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/16/2006 4:07 pm
Personally, I sweep a piss load, so I wouldn't be able to go without it, but it's pretty much things like that that help me have my own style vs. someone else and their style. You pretty much have to decide for yourself what you want to be good at and spend the time to make that good. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to sweep. It just depends on what you want to be good at.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/16/2006 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusOn the weekend, I got one of my first opportunities to jam on the guitar with a player other than my teacher. He was much better than me, so I mostly stuck to rhythm and let him play lead. Towards the end, though, he said that he wanted to try out a head that he'd come up with, so he switched to rhythm and asked me to improvise over it. So improvise, I did. He said that I was good (although I think he was just being kind), and he was surprised that I didn't know how to sweep arpeggios. He seemed to use a fair bit of sweep picking in his leads; he said that I should learn to sweep pick myself if I wanted to sound better. I don't know about this - I'm not much of a speed freak, and besides, I play fingerstyle, so I don't know whether it's even possible for me to sweep pick. What do you guys think - should I learn, or isn't it worth my while?

Mark Knopfler fingerpicks, and his style is almost entirely arpeggios and double stops.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 7
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/16/2006 7:27 pm
Thanks for the advice, everyone. :) I'm still not sure whether I want to do it or not, though. It's that I'm a very idiosyncratic player - okay, I'm a complete weirdo! I'm the only player I know personally who plays exclusively with my fingers, and my influences are fairly unusual - I play psychedelia, pop and funk as well as jazz and rock, unlike the other players I know. I was just a little worried that I wouldn't be able to fit in with the others if I didn't know the most popular techniques, like sweep picking (my legato and alt-"picking" are both fine, but I don't use them in the same way as the others :( ). I guess I'll have a go, and if I can't get comfortable with it, I won't bother with it. Thanks again. :)

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/16/2006 8:05 pm
I did a little sweeping in my May GT solo. You don't have to use sweeping as a means for speed but more for fluid arps. That's how i see it anyway.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/16/2006 11:50 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusThanks for the advice, everyone. :) I'm still not sure whether I want to do it or not, though. It's that I'm a very idiosyncratic player - okay, I'm a complete weirdo! I'm the only player I know personally who plays exclusively with my fingers, and my influences are fairly unusual - I play psychedelia, pop and funk as well as jazz and rock, unlike the other players I know. I was just a little worried that I wouldn't be able to fit in with the others if I didn't know the most popular techniques, like sweep picking (my legato and alt-"picking" are both fine, but I don't use them in the same way as the others :( ). I guess I'll have a go, and if I can't get comfortable with it, I won't bother with it. Thanks again. :)

Sometimes the best style that meshes with others is a style that stands out from the others. Just because they sweep doesn't mean that you won't blend well with them. But I say give it a whirl anyway. You never know, you might enjoy doing it, or you might decide that you just didn't enjoy it.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 10
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/17/2006 7:37 pm
Here is an example of an easy one to learn that sounds pretty cool and can help you decide if you want to pursue more.

This is stone age ( I prefer pencil/pen and paper) and because of this I have made it simple.

Here'goes and I hope it helps:

Last three strings.

This is played in the third fret position**but as all closed patterns go it can be played anywhere. Find out what is most comfortable for you**

Numbers represent frets and numbers in () represent "suggested fingering".

Use a down stroke to hit each note and let ring.
**recomend playing very very slow at first to really hear the notes**

Slide from 6 to 9 (pick or Hmr On).

Pick again but in an up-stroke (legato or pick) back down.

Done! :D

E l-----------3-(1)-(sld)--6-(1)--9-(4)--6-(1)---------------
B l-----5-(3)-----------------------------------8-(3)--------
G l6-(4)------------------------------------------9-(4)-6-(1)

This is even more archaic. But I also like to see patterns --it helps you visualize what you are playing--"be the ball" (what movie/movies?)

Here is the Pattern

E l-3-l---l---l-4/6-l---l---l-5-l---
B l---l---l-2-l---l---l-7-l---l---
G l---l---l---l-1/9-l---l---l-8-l---

Closed "box" pattern. Numbers represent the order that the fretted notes are played.

Hope it helps.

# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/17/2006 7:54 pm
Is sweeping when you down-pick when going to higher strings and up-pick when going to lower strings?
# 12
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/17/2006 8:13 pm
more or less, yeah.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 13
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/17/2006 8:18 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckIs sweeping when you down-pick when going to higher strings and up-pick when going to lower strings?

Pretty much, but you're not really making individual pick strokes. You give one solid downward push through all the strings and the same for the alternate direction.

Hulk Smash!!

# 14
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/17/2006 8:19 pm
Whew! had to edit the first post :eek: I hope it looks better.

earthman. This could be considered a yes/no question.

Yes
The principle of the sweep it a down stroke upstroke pattern--actually think of an overly exagerated cartoon of some one sweeping the floor-- the motion lines forming the arc.

This is what your pick hand should be "doing". The number of notes played per string can vary for each different "sweep". This will actaully rely more on the person doing the sweeping. i.e. how good is your legato and Hmr Ons and where are "you" in terms of your playing ability.

NO
To get all technical and to spend the next 1 hour writing a chapter :rolleyes: lets just go to the bottom line--

A "sweep" is an arrpegio (I know I suck as spelling ).

A string of notes.

I way to sweeten up something. or if played very slow a way to buy some time while improvising.

Example 2(easiest)-- Play a standard C chord in the open position. Now -- Only pick-- in this order-- 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string,4th string, and 5th.

Use palm mute and try to play this as fast as you can.

Dude! you did it, basic sweep

think of any chord you know. even a -- Dsus2 b13 -- Write out the notes starting from Beginning root to Ending root. and find a way to play those notes in a closed "box" position and you can play a "sweep". How Alex Lifeson you wanna get is on you.

I'm off my soap box.

I hope this helps and rock on!!!!

# 15
Fret spider
Fret spider
05/17/2006 8:37 pm
fi am personally trying to learn ton sweep at the moment and i would learn it, but i am also pretty much exclusivly a pick player.

on the other hand i would also like to be able to play fingerstyle properly, cos i aint very good at it and cant improvise in it at all.

i guess its just wether u feel that you can fit sweeping into the way you play and if it would serve the solo to do this. theres no point just putting it in there if it doesnt suit your style, unless u can adapt your style, or the way you sweep pick.

overall i would learn it cos u can then play with more variety, but i also want to be able to play everything :D , and i guess thats a bit overly ambitious
# 16
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/17/2006 8:40 pm
Thanks for the post, Jimmy :) . I won't have time to try it out 'til tomorrow, but I'll be sure to give it a shot.
Oh, and rep points are forthcoming!

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 17
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/17/2006 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderfi am personally trying to learn ton sweep at the moment and i would learn it, but i am also pretty much exclusivly a pick player.

on the other hand i would also like to be able to play fingerstyle properly, cos i aint very good at it and cant improvise in it at all.

i guess its just wether u feel that you can fit sweeping into the way you play and if it would serve the solo to do this. theres no point just putting it in there if it doesnt suit your style, unless u can adapt your style, or the way you sweep pick.

overall i would learn it cos u can then play with more variety, but i also want to be able to play everything :D , and i guess thats a bit overly ambitious

Amen to that !

What sounds good :cool:

Your not alone. I wish I could play everything.
What is that saying --When in doubt....fake it?

But never overly ambitious. Never think that, where would Zapa be?

# 18
mmcintosh
mmcintosh
05/18/2006 4:13 am
dont worry man , it a emotion dont just play as many notes as you can, playing less is sometimes more look at slash now hes the man well thats my 10 cents worth peace out
# 19
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/18/2006 1:01 pm
Should you learn sweeping? Absolutely. If you are interested in learning to play the guitar proficiently you should try to master all techniques. If you are happy playing the way you do and are not that interested in exploring new avenues then don't bother.

As for advice on sweep picking, pick an arpeggio then work out the same notes in different positions. You will find that you can play the same arpeggio about 4 different ways in the same key. You will quickly discover which way suits you presonally - stick with that shape and keep practicing untill you get it. It takes time, took me about a year of solid playing to get a double octave arp licked and I was already playing for a good few years before that.

The sweep picking I use in the track in my sig file http://mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=4890 involves a number of different approaches/shapes, depending on the hand position from the previous group of notes. I particularly like stringing big arpeggio sections together during a lead part as it adds the bit of flair that floats my boat;-)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.