View post (Sweeping - should I bother?)

View thread

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/17/2006 8:19 pm
Whew! had to edit the first post :eek: I hope it looks better.

earthman. This could be considered a yes/no question.

Yes
The principle of the sweep it a down stroke upstroke pattern--actually think of an overly exagerated cartoon of some one sweeping the floor-- the motion lines forming the arc.

This is what your pick hand should be "doing". The number of notes played per string can vary for each different "sweep". This will actaully rely more on the person doing the sweeping. i.e. how good is your legato and Hmr Ons and where are "you" in terms of your playing ability.

NO
To get all technical and to spend the next 1 hour writing a chapter :rolleyes: lets just go to the bottom line--

A "sweep" is an arrpegio (I know I suck as spelling ).

A string of notes.

I way to sweeten up something. or if played very slow a way to buy some time while improvising.

Example 2(easiest)-- Play a standard C chord in the open position. Now -- Only pick-- in this order-- 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string,4th string, and 5th.

Use palm mute and try to play this as fast as you can.

Dude! you did it, basic sweep

think of any chord you know. even a -- Dsus2 b13 -- Write out the notes starting from Beginning root to Ending root. and find a way to play those notes in a closed "box" position and you can play a "sweep". How Alex Lifeson you wanna get is on you.

I'm off my soap box.

I hope this helps and rock on!!!!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]