View post (Sweeping - should I bother?)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/16/2006 11:50 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusThanks for the advice, everyone. :) I'm still not sure whether I want to do it or not, though. It's that I'm a very idiosyncratic player - okay, I'm a complete weirdo! I'm the only player I know personally who plays exclusively with my fingers, and my influences are fairly unusual - I play psychedelia, pop and funk as well as jazz and rock, unlike the other players I know. I was just a little worried that I wouldn't be able to fit in with the others if I didn't know the most popular techniques, like sweep picking (my legato and alt-"picking" are both fine, but I don't use them in the same way as the others :( ). I guess I'll have a go, and if I can't get comfortable with it, I won't bother with it. Thanks again. :)

Sometimes the best style that meshes with others is a style that stands out from the others. Just because they sweep doesn't mean that you won't blend well with them. But I say give it a whirl anyway. You never know, you might enjoy doing it, or you might decide that you just didn't enjoy it.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.