the hidden code

SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/27/2006 9:02 pm
Most of the really great scale runs and arpeggio sequences are acheived by the addition or omission of a note or two,in the scale or arpeggio.I remember George Lynch's wide-intervallic trick from "Street Fightin' Man",among many other examples.Trial and error and thinking outside the box are the exotic trick/scale seeker's best friends.Adding the seventh (G) to a plain Am Arpeggio can dress it up,if executed properly.As can simply adding a B,and going A B C E from A(5th fret-low E string) all the way to high E (24th fret high E string) and back.As most of you probably know,string skips and skipping notes in a scale itself,is one of the hardest but most rewarding techniques there is.
# 1
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
04/28/2006 1:37 am
if einstien said " imagination is more important than knowledge" then why is it important to learn theory ?? if the great players before created great music just using their imagnation and dream and etc. then why can't we?? i know some are gifted and some are not but i just want your comment guyz. :D
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 2
axemaster911
axemaster911
04/28/2006 10:57 am
Originally Posted by: rightturnonlyI belive that I have found a mathematical code within the modes. It came to me when I heard that the order of scales and or modes was changed by western civilization.All you need is the My hypothesis and a pen and pencil. Not for the faint hearted. RTO :cool:

whole step-whole step-half step-whole step-whole step-whole step-half step

See how perfictly this fits across the page. "Theres your code"
There is 7 diffrent ways you can start this code, and countless ways you can play it, but you cant change it, or rearange it. You either in Key, or your just somewere else. Accidentals have there place though, and in my opinion nessicary for musical evolution. In other words floating out of key at the right time, and place can make some cool sounds, and define your style. Bottom line, when we have mastered the basics we can make up our own code to define our style. Thats making music.
Your definitly on the right track trying to make sence of it all. Learning is the Key. But thats just me.
# 3
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/28/2006 11:42 am
The reason theory is important is that in the Western European style of music,it is very structured.One could build a house without knowing how to read a tape measure,but the result would be inferior to one who did know how to read a tape measure.I believe one can get away without reading music,but you have to have a foundation of basic musical understanding to be more than a backyard twanger.

The best way I can describe theory in a nutshell is comparing it to a clock.For example: start with any note,in this case A,which represents 12 o'clock,A# would be 1,B is 2,C is 3 and so on.In A minor,the notes that fit are A-12,B-2,C-3,D-5,E-7,F-8,G-10.In Amaj-A-12,B-2,C#-4,D-5,E-7,F#-9,G#-11.Note the only differences between Amaj and Am are the 3rd,6th,and 7th interval.95% of all music is based on this major/minor system.Think of scales as numbers on a clock,and barring the occasional chromatic "blue" note,must maintain it's scalar integrity.Given my example,C# WILL NOT WORK in the key of Aminor.However it is completely apropiate in Amajor.This is theory,a single note can make the difference between right and wrong.And that is why theory is important,it seperates the musician from the novice.
# 4
strat-man
strat-man
04/28/2006 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: rightturnonlyTher's only 2 kinds of music Good and Bad. Some people walk the walk and some just talk the talk. It's said that Dajango Reinhardt couldn't read a note, his music is still being studied after some 60-70 years. People threorize It and all but he played what was in his head, A music Icon since 1930. :)

I hear what ya sayin dude :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 5
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/29/2006 12:14 pm
Originally Posted by: SweepFreakThe reason theory is important is that in the Western European style of music,it is very structured.One could build a house without knowing how to read a tape measure,but the result would be inferior to one who did know how to read a tape measure.I believe one can get away without reading music,but you have to have a foundation of basic musical understanding to be more than a backyard twanger.

The best way I can describe theory in a nutshell is comparing it to a clock.For example: start with any note,in this case A,which represents 12 o'clock,A# would be 1,B is 2,C is 3 and so on.In A minor,the notes that fit are A-12,B-2,C-3,D-5,E-7,F-8,G-10.In Amaj-A-12,B-2,C#-4,D-5,E-7,F#-9,G#-11.Note the only differences between Amaj and Am are the 3rd,6th,and 7th interval.95% of all music is based on this major/minor system.Think of scales as numbers on a clock,and barring the occasional chromatic "blue" note,must maintain it's scalar integrity.Given my example,C# WILL NOT WORK in the key of Aminor.However it is completely apropiate in Amajor.This is theory,a single note can make the difference between right and wrong.And that is why theory is important,it seperates the musician from the novice.
I couldn't agree more RTO :)
# 6
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/29/2006 1:42 pm
Originally Posted by: axemaster911whole step-whole step-half step-whole step-whole step-whole step-half step

See how perfictly this fits across the page. "Theres your code"
There is 7 diffrent ways you can start this code, and countless ways you can play it, but you cant change it, or rearange it. You either in Key, or your just somewere else. Accidentals have there place though, and in my opinion nessicary for musical evolution. In other words floating out of key at the right time, and place can make some cool sounds, and define your style. Bottom line, when we have mastered the basics we can make up our own code to define our style. Thats making music.
Your definitly on the right track trying to make sence of it all. Learning is the Key. But thats just me.
I worked your suggestion out and it confirms my own. I checked it against G mixolydian > E phygrain > A Ionian . F- Phrigian. Learning is also fun to me. keeps me outa trouble. Did u see my post #10 @ 1:33. both systems work. ;) why can't i change the order to fit a little trick as to the arrangement of whole & half steps. In pratice the order of the modes stays the same. It is just a fun thing and shows insight. :)
# 7
axemaster911
axemaster911
04/29/2006 5:35 pm
Originally Posted by: rightturnonlyI worked your suggestion out and it confirms my own. I checked it against G mixolydian > E phygrain > A Ionian . F- Phrigian. Learning is also fun to me. keeps me outa trouble. Did u see my post #10 @ 1:33. both systems work. ;) why can't i change the order to fit a little trick as to the arrangement of whole & half steps. In pratice the order of the modes stays the same. It is just a fun thing and shows insight. :)

As far as I am concerned a person can make there music how ever they like, but if your going to be playing along with a band you need to make the other band members aware of your key changes so you all stay in sink. Other than that I say go for it, be creative. But thats just me.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.