View post (the hidden code)

View thread

SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/28/2006 11:42 am
The reason theory is important is that in the Western European style of music,it is very structured.One could build a house without knowing how to read a tape measure,but the result would be inferior to one who did know how to read a tape measure.I believe one can get away without reading music,but you have to have a foundation of basic musical understanding to be more than a backyard twanger.

The best way I can describe theory in a nutshell is comparing it to a clock.For example: start with any note,in this case A,which represents 12 o'clock,A# would be 1,B is 2,C is 3 and so on.In A minor,the notes that fit are A-12,B-2,C-3,D-5,E-7,F-8,G-10.In Amaj-A-12,B-2,C#-4,D-5,E-7,F#-9,G#-11.Note the only differences between Amaj and Am are the 3rd,6th,and 7th interval.95% of all music is based on this major/minor system.Think of scales as numbers on a clock,and barring the occasional chromatic "blue" note,must maintain it's scalar integrity.Given my example,C# WILL NOT WORK in the key of Aminor.However it is completely apropiate in Amajor.This is theory,a single note can make the difference between right and wrong.And that is why theory is important,it seperates the musician from the novice.