Should he live? Should he die?

tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 4:20 am
okay, i'm sure there's a few people that know what i'm talking about. if not, you can the article provided to get a hint of what this is about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4486178.stm

i think that his later works of good deeds are of enough weight to warrant a reprieve of his death sentence and just make it life in prison. don't let him go free...but allow him to continue to do good....and if he stops once the death penalty is taken off....fry his ass for being decietful. seems fair enough...
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/02/2005 4:43 am
If he id really doing that much good then yes he should live out his days in prison. I've seen Redemption btw good movie.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/02/2005 4:47 am
While one could argue that he's saved many lives by changing so drastically, I believe that, without bringing his victims back to life, there are some crimes that cannot be undone.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 5:01 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWhile one could argue that he's saved many lives by changing so drastically, I believe that, without bringing his victims back to life, there are some crimes that cannot be undone.

by that same token, though, if he's now doing good works for society and effecting a change for the positive....would that not be worth keeping his life instead of executing him while other scum who just lay about remain in jail for equally harsh crimes.

i'm not saying that he should ever be let free or that anything can make up for the lives he's taken away*, but i am saying that it would seem that it'd be to the detriment of society for him to be executed at this point.

*there's actually disputes that his court case was even fair but that's another discussion for another day
# 4
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 5:12 am
IMO, anybody who is truly sorry for their crimes are willing to pay the punishment theyve got coming to em. Eye for an eye.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 5
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 5:29 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyIMO, anybody who is truly sorry for their crimes are willing to pay the punishment theyve got coming to em. Eye for an eye.

interesting. you have every right to hold that opinion but can you explain your through process with it some? are you coming from more thinking like "well if this guy gets off, everyone else will try to get off." or just purely and simply revenge?

the reason why i ask is because i'm trying to understand your reasoning because i can't help but see it as anything but wasteful to kill him off when him spending his life in prison would give him the same penalty and allow him time to do more good works for society. maybe that's a naievity (i know i spelled this wrong, someone help me out here) about me...but i did say if he ended up just doing that for the pity vote on him, i say fry him. afterall, it'd become pretty obvious if it was just a front.*shrugs* that's just me and i know that's just you...just trying to get a little more out of it if there is more to it. if not, i'll just let it be.

edit: i just saw 3rd degree said something along the same lines and he's welcome to reply to this too if he wants.
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/02/2005 5:33 am
If you really want help with grammer it should be: maybe that's just being naive, but I did say... :D
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 5:54 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusinteresting. you have every right to hold that opinion but can you explain your through process with it some? are you coming from more thinking like "well if this guy gets off, everyone else will try to get off." or just purely and simply revenge?

the reason why i ask is because i'm trying to understand your reasoning because i can't help but see it as anything but wasteful to kill him off when him spending his life in prison would give him the same penalty and allow him time to do more good works for society. maybe that's a naievity (i know i spelled this wrong, someone help me out here) about me...but i did say if he ended up just doing that for the pity vote on him, i say fry him. afterall, it'd become pretty obvious if it was just a front.*shrugs* that's just me and i know that's just you...just trying to get a little more out of it if there is more to it. if not, i'll just let it be.

edit: i just saw 3rd degree said something along the same lines and he's welcome to reply to this too if he wants.

Basically, my thought process is if someone is truly sorry for commiting an action, they will be prepared to pay the price. Why would you beg for life if youve taken that right from 4 other people? Why should mercy be had on you? Thats my whole deal: youve taken the right from someone else, why should you deserve it, regardless of how much youve changed your lifestyle?
# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 5:59 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyBasically, my thought process is if someone is truly sorry for commiting an action, they will be prepared to pay the price. Why would you beg for life if youve taken that right from 4 other people? Why should mercy be had on you? Thats my whole deal: youve taken the right from someone else, why should you deserve it, regardless of how much youve changed your lifestyle?

alrighty. i'm not sure if he's begging for his life or not...from what i've read about it so far, it seems more that everyone is pushing it to where it currently is...along with those activists who are against the death penalty. i'm not one of those, by the way. i very much believe in the death penalty but i see extenuating circumstances in this one case where it might not be the wisest course of action.

you are very on point, though that when he killed those people he did give up his right to live.

personally, though, i think they should execute charles manson before this guy. but that's life for ya...a guy actually realizes his mistakes and tries to save lives is put to death while a psychotic murderous lunatic is kept alive and even has parole hearings.
# 9
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 6:03 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusalrighty. i'm not sure if he's begging for his life or not...from what i've read about it so far, it seems more that everyone is pushing it to where it currently is...along with those activists who are against the death penalty. i'm not one of those, by the way. i very much believe in the death penalty but i see extenuating circumstances in this one case where it might not be the wisest course of action.

you are very on point, though that when he killed those people he did give up his right to live.

personally, though, i think they should execute charles manson before this guy. but that's life for ya...a guy actually realizes his mistakes and tries to save lives is put to death while a psychotic murderous lunatic is kept alive and even has parole hearings.

No kidding. Charles Manson is a twisted son of a beach.
# 10
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 6:06 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyNo kidding. Charles Manson is a twisted son of a beach.

have you ever heard about his parole hearings? they basically go like this.

::hi charles how have you been?

::fine, thank you.

::now what would be the first thing you did if you got out of prison?

::i'd kill every one of you and your families.

and that's pretty much exactly how they all go...no hyperbole.
# 11
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 6:09 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypushave you ever heard about his parole hearings? they basically go like this.

::hi charles how have you been?

::fine, thank you.

::now what would be the first thing you did if you got out of prison?

::i'd kill every one of you and your families.

and that's pretty much exactly how they all go...no hyperbole.

Havent heard that, but dont doubt it. The guy was and is one sick mofo.
# 12
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 8:04 am
Originally Posted by: CW14How did Williams end up with five Nobel peace prize nominations? :confused:

probably his work in trying to stop gang violence or his children's books.

i doubt it was the 4 murders...but you never know. maybe they were nazis and communists!
# 13
SPL
SPL
12/02/2005 9:10 am
Regardless of his actions now, he shouldn't be put to death. The death penalty is simply wrong in my opinion.

How is death a punishment? Life in prison with no chance of parole, now that's punishment.
# 14
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/02/2005 11:17 am
What does killing him solve?What does killing anyone solve?

Would that make up for his crimes?

NOW,at the same time,if I were to be attacked by two or more people(or one very intent person)in a viscious manner,I would take a life in defense to save myself.Hesitate and I could die.Is my life worth more than his?No,but I believe I should protect my own at all costs.

Capital punishment is difficult...people who sit there for years on end..those people that are executed might not be the same person inside or out that commited the crime.
Try once,fail twice...
# 15
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 2:13 pm
What does keeping him alive solve? Youve infringed on someone elses right to life so how is it justice if you receive the right that youve removed from someone else?

Life in prison is nothing. Prisons arent even harsh anymore.
# 16
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/02/2005 2:35 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyWhat does keeping him alive solve?

Nothing more than killing him would. I've heard it's actually cheaper to keep people in jail for life than to execute them, but I haven't seen any of the actual numbers.

Youve infringed on someone elses right to life so how is it justice if you receive the right that youve removed from someone else?

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

Life in prison is nothing. Prisons arent even harsh anymore.

When was the last time you were in a federal pen?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 17
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 2:41 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiNothing more than killing him would. I've heard it's actually cheaper to keep people in jail for life than to execute them, but I haven't seen any of the actual numbers.

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

When was the last time you were in a federal pen?

I also heard its cheaper if you keep them in jail, due to the appeals and such that go into the process of the death penalty.

Pray to God I dont get thrown in jail cuz Id be someones bitch, but the prisoners nowadays have way too many freedoms. They watch tv, play sports, workout....Doesnt sound like too much punishment to me.
# 18
SPL
SPL
12/02/2005 3:13 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyThey watch tv, play sports, workout....Doesnt sound like too much punishment to me.

Well, if you don't enjoy life outside of jail, I can see how this might not seem like much of a punishment. But anyone who has somewhat of a taste for life realizes that being jailed for life is just aweful, no matter how many activities you can come up with to keep your mind occupied.

I just don't see how death is a 'bigger' punishment than life in jail. And yes, it's a fact that the automatic appeals process makes executing someone more expensive than keeping them in jail for life. Not to mention that the justice system is pretty much flawed to begin with; among all the bad guys, ever innocent people have, and probably will continue to be executed.
# 19
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/02/2005 4:57 pm
Is it just me, or is anyone caught up in the surrealness that only The Terminator can save his life?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.