Should he live? Should he die?

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/02/2005 5:29 pm
Any bets on what Arnold will decide?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/02/2005 7:25 pm
Originally Posted by: SPLRegardless of his actions now, he shouldn't be put to death. The death penalty is simply wrong in my opinion.

How is death a punishment? Life in prison with no chance of parole, now that's punishment.

death is a punishment for those who have no regard for life because they normally value their own enough to not want to die and death is much more dissuading than cable tv, free meals, and doing nothing for the rest of your life. some people actually commit crimes like murder just for a chance to get a life sentence. how messed up is that?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/02/2005 7:36 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyI also heard its cheaper if you keep them in jail, due to the appeals and such that go into the process of the death penalty.

Pray to God I dont get thrown in jail cuz Id be someones bitch, but the prisoners nowadays have way too many freedoms. They watch tv, play sports, workout....Doesnt sound like too much punishment to me.

Well, they do get raped and shivved...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/02/2005 7:37 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiAny bets on what Arnold will decide?

Look at his approval rating. In liberal California, he's going with life in order to boost his numbers into a more salvageable range.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/02/2005 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWell, they do get raped and shivved...

to say the least.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/02/2005 8:42 pm
shivved? :confused:
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/02/2005 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Leedoggshivved? :confused:

Knifed with a makeshift stabby.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/02/2005 8:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Leedoggshivved? :confused:

Assaulted/slain with an improvised sharp/pointy weapon.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/02/2005 9:24 pm
Lacerated with an impromptu item made with the purposes of puncture in mind.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 9
monkeypie420
Monkeypie
monkeypie420
Monkeypie
12/02/2005 10:39 pm
Well, this one has me coming outta the quiet corner where I usually lurk.. Re Tookie-- re ANYONE who was convicted in a court of law in California in the 1970s..

My dad was a homicide detecive in SoCal in the 1970s and I swear that on more than one occasion he bragged about saying 'whatever it took to put that puke behind bars' I heard his partners say much the same thing. These idiot pigs lied as a matter of course. Maybe they really believed that the ends justified the means, maybe they really believed the alleged perpetrators did what they were accused of and lying was justified if it got 'em off the streets. But the fact IS, cops lie. A lot.

What I'm saying here is, just because someone was found guilty in a California court doesn't mean they received a fair and honest trial. Cops are not to be trusted *just because* they're cops. Far from it. I grew up around cops (to me, 'pigs' for good reason) and I've never met a more dishonest, lying, racist bunch of jerks since.

I believe that Tookie has done enough time. His works in prison have more than redeemed him from anything he may or may not have done 30 years ago. Let the man go free. He says he didn't kill the people he's imprisoned for killing. Knowing what I know about California cops.. I believe him.

Preparing to Duck,

--monkeypie
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/03/2005 2:12 am
Originally Posted by: 3rd_degreeburn"He took those peoples right to live without care. I feel we should do the same."

But thats the mindset that killed those people in the first place.

and what does keeping him alive solve?It saves a life...mabey instead of killing someone we could try the opposite and save one.

Something that came to mind..my mother just came in,we talked and she hugged me.I love her greatly and if someone killed her,I would be pissed beyond pissed.

But then I thought...how would my mother treat that person?My mother would cry at the thought of someone being executed..she would want to see them think normally and benefit someone even if in a very miniscule way.It wouldn't honor her to kill them...I don't think it honors anyone.
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/03/2005 2:31 am
What does honor have to do with anything?
-A.H.
# 12
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/03/2005 2:36 am
As in "honor my mothers life"...no,not like "honor my masters wishes".

People put things on graves,get fancy coffins and tell the offender to burn in hell...if my mother was murdered I would like to show kindness in honoring/in the fashion my mother would treat someone.

Mabey honor isn't the right word to use?I personally don't believe in honor...its more like "respect".
Try once,fail twice...
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/03/2005 2:42 am
If my mother was murdered the perp would be written about in medical journals.
-A.H.
# 14
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/03/2005 3:00 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiIf my mother was murdered the perp would be written about in medical journals.

Haha,yeah,if I was there,the guy would beg for lethal injection.

The thing is,I'm not sure I could stay violently pissed for 20 years...does a murderer stay one his whole life(in a mental sense)?I think of morgan freeman in the shank redemption when I say that...

I knew a murderer...he is now a pentacostal pastor.As much as I dislike the "church" and the religion,he has turned his life around in the last 20 or so years and lives a life of servitude.
Try once,fail twice...
# 15
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/03/2005 4:46 am
Should he live or die eh? Well neither I'd say...I say the system is flawed and he should already be dead shortly after his conviction and maybe a quick appeal or 2...I mean seriously, death row for 30 years? He shouldn't have even been given the chance to turn his life around. That said, I don't think anything changes now either. Guilty as charged. But I see others' points that there are worse fates than death, yet I don't think it's the jails we have now.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 16
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/03/2005 4:59 am
Originally Posted by: monkeypie420Well, this one has me coming outta the quiet corner where I usually lurk.. Re Tookie-- re ANYONE who was convicted in a court of law in California in the 1970s..

My dad was a homicide detecive in SoCal in the 1970s and I swear that on more than one occasion he bragged about saying 'whatever it took to put that puke behind bars' I heard his partners say much the same thing. These idiot pigs lied as a matter of course. Maybe they really believed that the ends justified the means, maybe they really believed the alleged perpetrators did what they were accused of and lying was justified if it got 'em off the streets. But the fact IS, cops lie. A lot.

What I'm saying here is, just because someone was found guilty in a California court doesn't mean they received a fair and honest trial. Cops are not to be trusted *just because* they're cops. Far from it. I grew up around cops (to me, 'pigs' for good reason) and I've never met a more dishonest, lying, racist bunch of jerks since.

I believe that Tookie has done enough time. His works in prison have more than redeemed him from anything he may or may not have done 30 years ago. Let the man go free. He says he didn't kill the people he's imprisoned for killing. Knowing what I know about California cops.. I believe him.

Preparing to Duck,

--monkeypie

i actually extremely briefly mentioned this and about how many people are questioning whether or not he even got a fair trial and if he's actually guilty. i definately think it'd be worth investigating...at the very least, all death sentences and murder trials that were held during such a period....but then again, that'd probably bankrupt the state considering just how massive such corruption could have reached in terms of how many people.
# 17
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/03/2005 5:44 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdHe shouldn't have even been given the chance to turn his life around.

that's a rather disturbing statement. your eagerness to kill makes me uneasy.[/still thinks the death sentence should remain in law]
# 18
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
12/03/2005 6:03 am
i believe prisoners should "pay back society" .......actually work while doing time. sitting around playing cards and lifting weights??? gimme a friggin' break. make them do something for society. if i didn't have to work 40 plus hours a week it would be nice to find the time and energy to get buff and play cards. i think if they knew they had to work in prison for nothing, they would think twice about going....maybe. in the tookie case, i don't know the evidence against him, so i don't know.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 19
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/03/2005 6:06 am
Hell man...I live in the National Captial of "Capital" punishment. Texas doesn't mess around (generally). I mean seriously...if it's ok to kill him right after he did it, I don't see how it changes any since then. So why wait that long to begin with?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.