The Simpsons vs Family Guy

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
11/21/2005 2:02 am
i think both of these shows are great, but personally i like the simpsons better, although family guy is a lot better than some of the newer simpsons episodes, which is to be expected after 16seasons, but older simpsons like seasons 1-9 to me just cantg be beat by family guy, even a lot of stuff from up to the 14th season and a few from even 15 or 16, most people think family guy is way better but i have to disagree, i dont think it will ever make me laugh like a lot of simpsons episodes have,i love fg's stupid humor but the simosons wins my vote, im not saying family guy copied the simpsons because it is definetely not a copy but you cant deny that the simpsons has influenced family guy at least a little bit, it rediefined animated comedy
you have to see some of the similarites,ill just stop now though just to avoid getting possibly flamed...
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/21/2005 2:09 am
I'll put it like this. I used to like the simpsons, but like you said, after 16 seasons it's just the name. The humor hasn't changed much, it's just the same thing and seeing such a lack of evolution just kills it as a whole for me. The later episodes remind me of the earlier episodes and vice versa, so it's just something that doesn't bloom for me. Family guy is pretty obviously influenced by the simpsons, but it still seems to have a style of its own and so long as they don't go haywire with it I'm ok. But what does my vote count? I don't even watch tv.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/21/2005 10:27 am
Simpsons has had 19 seasons, not 16.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/21/2005 7:23 pm
both are pretty funny shows ive laughed like crazy over- but as said by Cryptic, after awile simpsons got monotonous. family guy hasnt been around so long, so its still new, fresh and funny. (some more than others.) although that new american dad show... i havnt watched it but its made by the same people it looks like alot of the same humor

anyone watch that show?
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
SPL
SPL
11/21/2005 7:33 pm
Love both, but I've come to like Drawn Together lately. :-)
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/21/2005 7:49 pm
Agree with everyone that the Simpsons has gotten somewhat monotonous. Of the two, I think the Simpsons has more "classic" episodes, (but then it does have some 16-seasons on Family Guy), but I think Family Guy still has a lot of life left in it to keep going, should it be brought back on air. Hard to cast my vote either way though, since I think that The Simpsons in its day is far superior to Family Guy, but equally with Simpsons' on going monotomy I've recently prefered to watch Family Guy.
Do I really have to choose?...Can't I just be greedy and like them both?

Haven't seen American Dad myself, but several friends of mine (big fans of The Simpsons and Family Guy) have highly recommended it...

To throw stones in though, personally, if it was an option, I'd go for Futurama as one, if not the, all time favorite animated series of mine. That, or the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - now that was an animation series!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 6
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
11/21/2005 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonSimpsons has had 19 seasons, not 16.

no, they're on the 17th season right now
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/21/2005 8:17 pm
The Simpsons is the Jimi Hendrix of cartoons. Newer ones are better, but wouldn't be around without the simpsons trailblazing first. As far as I can recall, the Simpson was the first cartoon to cater to Adult humor. Also, the simpsons became way better when it went from being "the bart" show to being "the homer" show.

South Park is my favorite cartoon for 8 years running!
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/21/2005 11:19 pm
Simpsons.
Hands down.
No contest.
Family guy just uses sick homosexual humour to mask its stupidity. Not that i don't like Family Guy.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 9
SPL
SPL
11/21/2005 11:39 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyFamily guy just uses sick homosexual humour to mask its stupidity.

Lol.

Come on, can't make a statement like that without clarifying what you mean.
# 10
stackny
stackny
11/22/2005 1:20 am
Never been a Simpsons fan. Dont know why, just never really got into it. Family Guy however is freakin hillarious.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/22/2005 3:07 am
Both are hilarious in their own way. I've been a Simpsons fan since they debuted on the Tracey Ullman show and still never miss an episode. The Family Guy kills me. Waaaay too many pop references in there to count. Sure some of the humor is sadistic and strange but hey, almost anything is funny if you approach it right.

American Dad is terrific. Very, very funny. I highly recommend it.

But for flat out laughs per episode, I still have to vote for South Park. I have not seen one episode yet that did not make me howl with laughter at least once. But then again, I love immature humor.

At 45, I think I am the worlds oldest 10 year old!!
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/22/2005 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggThe Simpsons is the Jimi Hendrix of cartoons. Newer ones are better, but wouldn't be around without the simpsons trailblazing first. As far as I can recall, the Simpson was the first cartoon to cater to Adult humor. Also, the simpsons became way better when it went from being "the bart" show to being "the homer" show.

South Park is my favorite cartoon for 8 years running!

Agreed, South park still is hilarious even though its older. Family guy is funny as hell, as well as American Dad. Its like when you think skrewed up things about something and say wouldn't that be funny, Family Guy outs those thoughts into the cartoon which is just suberb. Simpsons need a big boost, its just not the same, mabey they need Conan back.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/22/2005 6:18 am
My favorite animated shows:

1. Family Guy
2. Simpsons
3. Futurama
4. South Park
5. SpongeBob

Honerable mention. American Dad, The Oblongs, King of the Hill.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/22/2005 7:39 am
I'm surprised no one has mentioned American dad...not out as long as the others,but still pretty good.

Family guy does have just the funniest up front stuff(peter taking joe and smashing him around after playing "don't stop believeing")

"lalala,lalala holy crap here comes jesus,and he doesn't look to happy"

mwahaha!

Classic simpson rules as well though...favorites being the "Cypress creek/scorpio" episode and the tree house of horror with the shining parodoy/time machine.
Try once,fail twice...
# 15
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/22/2005 7:52 am
Now that I'm watching it and remember, Harvey Birdman is about as whacked out as it gets.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2005 8:28 am
I've never seen Family Guy, but I couldn't imagine it being better than the Simpsons. Especially the early Conan Obrien days with stuff like the Monorail.

Major drag for me is I've seen every episode so many times I have trouble finding it funny now.... I know all the lines before they come up.

Wish somebody would invent something you could plug into your brain and selectively delete memories some of your favorite movies and tv shows so you could watch em again.
# 17
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/22/2005 9:07 am
It's almost needless to say that my favorite cartoon is King of the Hill. I never really liked it when it came out however many years ago, but then it grew on me. Of the 2 on topic, I gotta go with the Simpsons. But truthfully I don't watch a whole lot of any of them anymore.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 18
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/22/2005 9:19 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeI've never seen Family Guy

Well you have to right now!!!

This was a free download from a DVD distribution company. If I need to change the filename let me know.

Just click openand then extract the file from the zip before you watch it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 19
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/22/2005 9:26 am
Originally Posted by: Leedogg Also, the simpsons became way better when it went from being "the bart" show to being "the homer" show.

I love that, It got so much better when it became "the Homer show" as you put it.

I think The Simpsons is great.Just really good satire,with relevant social/political commentary...it has become a piece of very important American literature...I love it.

also love Family Guy tho...anyone seen Sheep in the Big City?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.