Guitarist Brian Welch leaves koRn

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/05/2005 9:00 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovWho says they haven't?

They have?If skimming around in saucers and abducting average people for anal probing is the height of their intellect,then its better if they never make a confirmed landing.
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 12:17 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartSpace travel...

So far we havn't encounterd any life beyond our own planet or been encounterd...any idea why its taking our cosmic brethren so long to find us?

Who says they would want to.

Judging by the way we treat each other I cant say I'd blame them. Our propensity for chase things /ideas / people we don't understand up a tree, (to be set fire to at a later date) give rise to some of the most documented events in history.

Cant say I blame them ! If I were intelligent enough to do interstellar travel Id stay well clear of this place !

Anal probes, man they are just screwing with us !!
(Bad pun I know)
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 12:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI'm pretty sure "Dante's Inferno" is a novel... And I'm pretty sure it wasn't created by God... :confused:

Inferno is art of "The Divine Comedy" which is particularly interesting as it is one of the earliest recorded works of fiction.

This is interesting as it open a window on the sort of things people were thinking at the time.
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/05/2005 1:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon
This is interesting as it open a window on the sort of things people were thinking at the time.

Well it shows what kind of influence the church had at the time.

I would imagine a more intelligent race would desire creative expansion and earth would be a decent world to include in such a galactic society...within 500 to 2000 years after contact,I think humanity would no longer suffer from its own flaws.

Humanity no doubt has two potential extremes it can reach...one good and one bad,extinction or expansion.Contact with another race of like creatures would be a massive step in the right direction...the way we are going it will take thousands of years(and a few more world wars)before we expand beyond our own little rock.

I really think a sub-division of the united nations should be made in a worldwide collective effort to build space colonys and habitation efforts on other planets.
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 2:08 pm
I really like you optimism however Im not sure I share it !!

Personally I think we'd be too busy fighting amongst our selves about who owns the place we have colonized. And then would come the lawyers and then the soldiers !

Anyway who is to say that another life form would be friendly ? They may see us as a bunch of walking hot-dogs sitting on a gold mine !!

At least that would unite people I guess !!

Oh me and my bleak view of humanity !
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/05/2005 2:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonPersonally I think we'd be too busy fighting amongst our selves about who owns the place we have colonized. And then would come the lawyers and then the soldiers !

Anyway who is to say that another life form would be friendly ? They may see us as a bunch of walking hot-dogs sitting on a gold mine !!

At least that would unite people I guess !!

Oh me and my bleak view of humanity !

Well,like I said,at the rate we are going,it will be a long time.

If we encounterd a superior race of creatures that wanted us dead...well then we are kinda screwed.But we all are anyway(unless you have an anti-death machine...)

Amazing in this 'modern' age that our life expectancy is so low...I would rather enjoy the prospect of having a few hundred years to learn and master guitar.
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 4:09 pm
ahh some ying to your yang.

Remember that the birth of modern cell biology (and hence understanding at a molecular level why cells and organisms die) is still very young. When you consider that until 1954 the structure and biological significance of DNA was unknown, we as a species are not doing too badly !! In the last 50 years we have not only gone to the moon but also mapped the human genome (that is the entire genetic information within the human population !).
# 7
koRn_freAk
koRn_freAk
03/05/2005 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraReligion...ugh Ā¬_Ā¬'

couldn't agree with you more
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/05/2005 4:54 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartThey have?If skimming around in saucers and abducting average people for anal probing is the height of their intellect,then its better if they never make a confirmed landing.

Who says they can't observe from space? Or send down small, unobtrusive probes to quietly observe?

I mean, from an acedemic point of view, they'd want to study without being noticed.

Then there's the consideration that they could be waiting for us to get to a certain level of technological advancement before making contact. Maybe we live in too much of a galactic jerkwater to be noticed or maybe, as Dr. Simon pointed out, they've come, they've seen and they've said "to Hell with these assholes."

Maybe in two weeks we'll pick up a transmission of the Alpha Centaurian equivalant of The Simpsons, dig the artwork but think the dialoge is boring.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Angus lover
Angus lover
03/05/2005 5:09 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovWho says they can't observe from space? Or send down small, unobtrusive probes to quietly observe?

In fact, they're behind you RIGHT NOW.
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/05/2005 7:19 pm
aliens... lol. yeah, the history channel has some great shows on the subject, some of which are out to prove that aliens aren't real, while other shows are trying to prove they are. pretty interesting... but almost all crop circles have been explained away as hoaxes. they are actually very easy to make. but they definately have some interesting stuff on that channel. I liked their one theory, that aliens have been here for a while now, and the government knows it, and allows them to abduct people... okay, this said that the reason why we have gotten so much technology recently is from the aliens, they are giving us technology in exchange for people for reproductive purposes, making strange human-alien hybrids... it was very interesting, and at this point, I still don't know what to believe about aliens...
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/05/2005 8:39 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsaliens... lol. yeah, the history channel has some great shows on the subject, some of which are out to prove that aliens aren't real, while other shows are trying to prove they are. pretty interesting... but almost all crop circles have been explained away as hoaxes. they are actually very easy to make. but they definately have some interesting stuff on that channel. I liked their one theory, that aliens have been here for a while now, and the government knows it, and allows them to abduct people... okay, this said that the reason why we have gotten so much technology recently is from the aliens, they are giving us technology in exchange for people for reproductive purposes, making strange human-alien hybrids... it was very interesting, and at this point, I still don't know what to believe about aliens...

You don't possibly believe that with the billions of other galaxies and trillions of other stars and planets that there isn't a remote possibility of life on one of them? You do realize that belief wouldn't contradict your religious convictions, right?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 12
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
03/05/2005 9:04 pm
I believe in life out in space in ditant galaxies, but not aliens. Many people think that life in outer space means big green thingies with large heads (Resembeling Jolly). Not me.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 13
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/05/2005 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYou don't possibly believe that with the billions of other galaxies and trillions of other stars and planets that there isn't a remote possibility of life on one of them? You do realize that belief wouldn't contradict your religious convictions, right?

I said I still don't know what to believe, I haven't really decided whether I believe in them or not... I believe that there is a possibility of other life out there in space somewhere, a good probability of plant life, and a possibility of some intelligent life, but more intelligent then humans? I have my doubts... I'm not saying there isn't... but, I just don't know at this point. like, why would God make the world, and give us a bible saying how much he loves us more than anything else, and then make something better than us?

but like I said, I still don't know what to belive about that at this point... at this point, I don't rule out the possibility, nor do I think it is likely...
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 14
SPL
SPL
03/05/2005 10:09 pm
Life has been proven to have existed/exist on mars...

If it can happen in our tiny little insignificant solar system, I'm pretty sure it can happen elsewhere.
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/05/2005 10:57 pm
Originally Posted by: SPLLife has been proven to have existed/exist on mars...

That is not true. Even if you include bacteria as life (which I do) no one has concluded that such life exists on Mars. I don't know if you're getting your news from The Sun or Weekly World News, but we have not yet proven that life exists or has existed on Mars.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 16
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 11:04 pm
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marslife.html

NASA seems to think there was !!
# 17
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 11:10 pm
Do you know the expression.."sit a thousand monkeys down at the thousand type writers and eventually you will get the works of shakespeare".

Well here we have an infinite time span.

That's a lot a time to deal with and a lot of weird and unlikely stuff can and does happen.

Most humans are not very good at dealing with these sorts of concepts as they have little bearing on catching lunch.
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/05/2005 11:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonhttp://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marslife.html

NASA seems to think there was !!

This is just proposed, not proven. My point is not that it's impossible that life is or was on Mars, I'm saying that they have no hard proof. This is merely speculation, albeit the evidence POINTS in the direction that there MAY have been life on Mars, but it does not PROVE it. I would LOVE for science to find hard proof.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 19
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2005 11:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonThis is just proposed, not proven. My point is not that it's impossible that life is or was on Mars, I'm saying that they have no hard proof. This is merely speculation, albeit the evidence POINTS in the direction that there MAY have been life on Mars, but it does not PROVE it. I would LOVE for science to find hard proof.

Do you know the moon is made of rock ? Have you ever been their ? How do you know it is not made of green cheese ?

Again the specter of probability and the burden of proof raises its ugly head.
The hard evidence that has been provided is that NASA have found three very improbable phenomena all in a very improbable proximity.

Do you know what Ockham's Razor is ?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.