little question..

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/01/2003 7:36 pm
What would you solo over the basic G-C-D-Em chord progression?

I know I should know this, but I don't. Musta been that year of band I skipped. :/
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Death55
Death55
12/02/2003 9:47 am
hmm, just play what sounds best. I think the blue's scale or any minor scale should work over it.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/02/2003 5:11 pm
Summary for those too lazy to read the below: G Major/Ionian, G Major Pentatonic, G Major Hexatonic, and G Minor Blues are all usuable (but careful with the Blues scale).

The progression is in G Major; depending on the sound you're trying to achieve, you could play G Major (a.k.a. Ionian for you mode lovers), G Major pentatonic w/ b3 and maybe #5 thrown in for spice (think about bending the A and D notes to hit the b3 and #5), or the G Minor Blues scale for a bluesey minor over major type sound. Experiment. I'd say the most likely and ear friendly approach I'd take if playing over a given song with that progression for me would be G Major Hexatonic. That's basically G Major Pentatonic with the added 9th of F#, so it's every note in G Major except for the 4th (C), which usually just clashes unless you play it over a C or Am chord, anyway.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/02/2003 5:17 pm
Oh, a lot of more inexperienced guitarists I know are very comfortable with using the stock Minor Pentatonic chord box to solo, and not much else. If this is the case with you, when soloing over a song in a given major key, you can play diatonically by playing the minor pentatonic box with a root located a minor third below your original root. This is using the minor scale of the relative minor of your song's key. This let you play in a familiar pattern without going out of key. So, in G Major, like you have here, you can play in the E Minor Pentatonic Box.

How'd you get that, Dirt? --- The minor scale located a minor third below a major scale is called the major scale's relative minor. They share the same key signature. A minor third = 3 half steps. G down a minor third is G ---> F# ---> F ---> E, so E is your root for the minor pentatonic box. And to double check me, remember that E Minor is G Major's relative minor. They both contain G, A, B, C, D, E, and F#.

Hope that this helps!
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/02/2003 6:04 pm
I've never really played around with anything pentatonic, but at least that all made sense. Well, almost all of it. I haven't worked through the hexatonic thing yet.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/02/2003 8:06 pm
WOW! Dirt, you made me realize just how musically illiterate I am. I know how to read music and all that, but when it comes to theory or anything other than making something up that sounds good to my ears, I haven't got a clue. I've got to get lessons from somewhere!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/02/2003 8:15 pm
It's great that you can read music! I can understand sheet music, but I can't sit down and play a piece at tempo unless it's a simple single line melody like Twinkle, Twinkle or such. I get lost on even easy preludes and such - I have to dissect it note by note. On the other hand, I can take a chord chart and make it sound like a full arrangement on piano or guitar. Chord charts are my forte.

THEORY is what helps. I can play by ear blindly, BUT, if I know I'm in G Major, I know what notes I can use, what chords to generally expect, and how to extend these chords without guesswork - it just takes musical taste in the application. My advice: get a teacher and work on theory! It's single-handedly the most important thing you could learn - better than any lick or arpeggio, because most licks and arpeggios are derived from a theortical formula.

# 7
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
12/02/2003 9:22 pm
Or Em..
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.