View post (little question..)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
12/02/2003 8:15 pm
It's great that you can read music! I can understand sheet music, but I can't sit down and play a piece at tempo unless it's a simple single line melody like Twinkle, Twinkle or such. I get lost on even easy preludes and such - I have to dissect it note by note. On the other hand, I can take a chord chart and make it sound like a full arrangement on piano or guitar. Chord charts are my forte.

THEORY is what helps. I can play by ear blindly, BUT, if I know I'm in G Major, I know what notes I can use, what chords to generally expect, and how to extend these chords without guesswork - it just takes musical taste in the application. My advice: get a teacher and work on theory! It's single-handedly the most important thing you could learn - better than any lick or arpeggio, because most licks and arpeggios are derived from a theortical formula.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster