noise.....

concrete chaos
concrete chaos
11/03/2003 5:36 am
my set up is like this at the mo: strat into digitech distortion pedal into marshall avt 100.........

problem is the amp on its own doesnt gimme feedback at all even when staying real close to the amp. soon as i use the pedal i get too much noise in the background...if i mess around a little with the sound its ok but i have to keep it on a real low volume which makes the string hitting sound more than the notes themselves..[and i dont beat my guitar]

i try standing far away...but im limited to space in my room...

any ideas from where this massive noise build up is mainly from..sounds a lot like darkthrone recordings with that kxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in the background.
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
11/03/2003 6:06 am
Probably coming from your computer monitor or TV. If you don't have a LCD Monitor for your computer, and have just a regular one, it will create a god awful noise through the amp.

Try shutting off the monitor while playing.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/03/2003 11:25 am
I used to have the AVT100 and thought the feedback was great, what settings are you using on OD1 and 2?

# 3
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
11/03/2003 10:44 pm
i dont have a comp in my room......so its not that...

and when i use only od and od 2 on my avt theyre perfect...

its when i use the distortion pedal [appliance separate from amp] that it creates lots of noise .......

i could turn the volume down but i dont like to hear the strings i like to hear that warm loud tone ..

and as for settings i usually have bass on half and low treble [but not too low just not too high cus it pierces my ears].. i always have the gains on high.. and volume first quarter turn. not too loud. somtimes louder. depends on the time
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/03/2003 11:58 pm
Fluorescent lighting can also get picked up by strats, the single coils are notoriously noise. You could try a guitar with humbuckers ! Humbuckers are inherently noise canceling hence the name.

Cables, cheap cables have bad shielding so that is a potential noise source.

Have you checked the battery in your pedal, low batteries can get noisy before they die.

Another thing to try is shielding. You can get copper foil (or nickle paint) for lining the internal cavity of your strat and this will cancel noise.

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
SPL
SPL
11/04/2003 12:04 am
Do you happen to be using one of those generic adjustable power supplies for your pedal?
# 6
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
11/04/2003 12:32 am
i have the didigtech psr 2000 ac adapter with pedal and my strat has 2 single coils and a humbucker..........dimarzio...floyd rose 2..

about the flourescent lights i only have one bulb very low wattage cus i dont really like a lot of light......

# 7
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
11/04/2003 1:20 am
whats that hairband theory to not make the strings ring out,,,,,,,,place a hairband near the top of the neck...

is there a way to do it cleanly.....

and also when i use distortion pedal i keep my guitar on clean....
# 8
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
11/04/2003 5:56 am
It's not a theory, it's just what some guitarists do.

You take a hairband, a thick one, like you would use to wrap a womans hair in a pony tail.

Then, you slide it over the neck around the first fret. What this does is mutes the strings you arent playing, but it can also take away from one's ability to be able to mute strings.

When you're done with your tapping/sweeping lick, you just slide the hairband off of the first fret onto the headstock and continue playing.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/04/2003 6:11 pm
Sounds like your equipment should be good.

Do you mean you're getting like a "whooooosh" sound that's always in the background? If so, then try turning up the volume on the pedal and turning down the volume on your amp. If it's an actual noise, like "zzzzzzzzt", that's probably a sign of ground loops, 60hz hum, or bad wiring.

If you're somewhat technically inclined, here's a link for you.

GuitarNuts - Shielding a Strat

You'll need to do some shopping at RadioShack and WalMart. Instead of aluminum foil or tape or paint, I used aluminum oven liners. I tried tape, and oven liners were waaay easier to manage.

Even if this isn't your problem, everyone should shield their guitars. There are so many benefits, it makes me feel dizzy just thinking about it.... uh oh.... whoa.......
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
Cedarkill
Cedarkill
11/14/2003 5:20 pm
Ok...by what you've said, I gather you mainly have a problem with feedback and some background noise, but your main concern is that you're getting a lot more feedback running through the pedal rather than straight into the amp, right??? If this is the case then I may be able to added some info to help ya' that I don't think others have said, maybe they have...but here. I've had these problems, it's just the way the pedals work and process the sound. i'm sure they're is some big technical reason for it and terminology, but extra noise and FEEDBACK especially, just comes with the territory when adding distortion, especially if it high gain, and effects. If I understand correctly, your pedal is a digitech multi-effects...if so, look for some kind of noise gate or noise suppressor on the unit, most processors are supplied with some kind of noise suppressor. If you have the manual, that could always help you navigate through the processor, but you should find something along those lines. If you find it, just mess with the settings until your feedback problem fixed. In most causes, when you crank the noise suppressor, you'll also loose someoutput, ultimately taking away some of that "bite" from your sound and some bass if you use a lot of bass. So, you'll have to tweak the soise suppressor and distortion levels and settings, to find a happy place in the middle where the sound is what you like and the feedback is restricted some. Now, if your processor doesn't have a supressor or gate of some sort, you can always buy some variation of one. I'd recommend the rocktron HUSH gate, they're a few different versions, but it's a great gate. It doesn't attack your tone and sound like a lot of gates do, which means less tweaking and more time playing. I have a rocktron Chameleon 2000 rack processor and it has the HUSH system on board. It works awesome and is simple to use...so check out your system, see if you can tweaks some stuff, if not, I'd say check out one of the HUSH gates...you can pick them up used for not that much at all.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.