Great Musicians

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/22/2003 11:39 pm
I've gotten to the point in guitar that I can play basically whatever I want; I'm a competant (sp?) lead guitarist, as well as a competant rhythm guitarist. I play about 5 hours a day, on average. Lately, I've been getting in somewhat of a rut in my lead guitar skills; so what I did then was improve my rhythm ability...After about a month, the rut dissapeared, and this chain of events happened a few times until I became what I am now.

My fingering technique (left hand technique) is exquisite, a very articulate yet melodious style, without distortion. For rhythm, I do alot of "Bob Weir" type chords (Bob Weir is the famous Rhythm Guitar Player of The Grateful Dead, The Other Ones, RatDog, The Dead, etc), which are basically Jazz chords with leading tones and extensions, etc, attached.

Okay, skipping the bull****, I've been getting alot of inspiration from Uobuo Neutsou (or something like that), the guy who wrote the Music for Final Fantasy 7,8,9,10, actually I think he wrote it for every single one, as well as some other tunes; The tunes he writes are pretty simple (well, not all), but allow for plenty of room to expand, which is something I like.

Now, I'm not a shredder, and I'm not a flashy guitarist; I'm humble in real life (although I do admit that sometimes I get carried away with wordplay on the internet...Probably one of those temporary lack of maturity on my part), and I play my part. Ian Anderson is huge for me (Singer/Flute player for Jethro Tull), I really like his flute playing, and he's one reason why I'm going to be "going MIDI" in the next year or so.

But I've sucked alot of the inspiration-life-blood out from many guitarists (Eric Clapton, Dave Gilmour, Santana, Garcia, Hendrix, Page, Django, Charlie Christian, B.B King, Trey Anastasio, Wes Montgomery, John Mclaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale) as well as many non-guitarists (Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Bill Monroe, David Grisman, Merle Haggard, Woody Guthrie, etc), and as well as many authors (yes, books do have influences; Ray Bradbury, George Orwell, Kurt Vonnegut Jr, Ken Kesey, come to mind).

However, I've come to the point where I feel that only my right-hand technique can be improved at this point, and that that's the only way I will be able to proceed even further into the depths of music. It's funny because if you look at my list, alot of those guys are relatively flashy guitarists; It's one of the contradictions I have.

Anyways, to the point;

"Who are some great musicians that I haven't named?"

I've been listening to Chopin, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, and Debussy a bit lately as well, and find their music fascinating, too.

I'm looking for more guys (non-shredders, non-flashy guitarists, if possible) to listen to.

Also, do you think it's possible to reach a point where your right hand technique needs to improve in order for your playing to improve? my right hand technique is pretty good, but i can see some flaws in it (for example, i don't use 'perfect' alternative picking, just alot of it).

Thoughts appreciated

~Incidents

# 1
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
09/23/2003 12:03 am
I perfer Brad Paisley and David Sanborn for my non-hard rock fix. Brad is an amazing country guitarist and Dave... well when I played sax he was God to me. He has some good guitarists playing with him also.

Shhhhh... But don't tell anyone... I don't want it to ruin my rep... Ok?
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/23/2003 12:12 am
Haha, no problem man;

I'm glad you mentioned Paisley, i'm a huge fan of country, and while I don't really think I'm influenced by him, I like his works, and maybe i'll start.

I'm also glad you mentioned a non-guitarist, David Sanborn, because i find it fun to use saxophone phrasing on the guitar, more "breath-like" and "airy", i guess you could say. Thanks.

Oh yeah;

I changed my right-hand technique; Previously, i kept my hand close to the neck (for speed, plus it's impossible to miss a note), now I have it anchored at the bridge, with my pinky and index finger anchorded to the bottom of my humbucker; This slows your speed down, but i can already tell the benefits of doing this. It forces you to be a great phraser, it allows you not to think about the strings you are playing. I don't know how to explain it, but it's genious, especially with the 2 fingers below the humbucker.

Anyone else do this?
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/23/2003 2:27 am
Larry Carlton..."Last Nite"(mca), you won't regret this one.
Robben Ford......"Handfull of Blues"
Micheal Brecker..."Micheal Brecker", Micheal is the Coltrane of the 21st century
Anything by Chick Corea
This is a good place to start for inspiration.
Oh, and if you want to hear something cool check out Paco de Lucia, not the b.s. he did w/McGlaughlin and DiMeola, but his own stuff. Pick up one of the anthologies, good place to start, I prefer antholgy 2.

And let me say this before everybody else does...Malmsteen, Petrucci, Via, Randy Rhoads, Micheal Angelo, etc, etc...
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/23/2003 3:18 am
Thanks!

I've been a fan of Brecker for a few months now, i like "Delta City Blues"; i think it was on the soundtrack for the movie "Chicago", i can't remember. Good tune.

~Incidents
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/23/2003 4:22 am
My greatest musicians are sort of dated. The most naturally gifted musician of all time has got to W.A. Mozart. Expecting something alittle more recent? Yeah well that's too bad. :D J/K Beethoven also was a great musician. Ok, some more recent fellows. Charlie Parker was an amazing musician, amongst many others during that era. Jimi Hendrix is still one of the most gifted musicians on the guitar. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Bob Dylan among the best songwriters. Of course Schubert, the godfather of songwriting. Now for someone you don't know of so you may be interested in something new to check out. That would be 'ME' of course!! 'LOL' ...yeah I got nothing.

As for right hand technique, you can always improve. The beauty of guitar is you NEVER know it all, and there's always infinite room for improvement. You can try writing out some random weird rhythms in odd time signatures with alot of quick rests. Even devise different patterns of strumming. Try simultaneuosly picking strings with your pick and your other free fingers, sort of like classical guitar but with a pick. I'm sure you can think up ways to challenge yourself.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/23/2003 5:26 am
i can recommend Robert Fripp, Roine Stolt, Vernon Reid (Living Colour) and of course Jeff Beck

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
Cody_King
Cody_King
09/23/2003 6:21 am
Check out Malice mizer- its a Japaniese Classical/industrial, wired differnt kind of music, not super flashy but differnt, if you like FF Music you might get a kick out of them.
# 8
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
09/23/2003 11:23 am
Never mind Micheal Angelo, Malmsteen etc. To hear guys getting the most out the guitar just check out what these fellas can do with an acoustic and no trickery. All have phenomenal right hand techniques.

Joe Pass - JP's probably the most versatile player Ive heard. duets, trios, full bands, solo, accompanist, Django-type picking, simultaneous bass/chord/melody fingerstyle. For the unitiated check out 'Virtuoso' 1 and 3.

Jerry Reed - a mate of Chet Atkins and a writer of fine and funny songs. Developed his 'claw' technique. Check out 'Me and Chet/Me and Jerry'. 2 masters at work.

Tony McManus - mixes up a whole bunch of folk styles - celtic, Quebecois, Breton - throws in a bit of blues and jazz for good measure. Has done 3 albums. All recommended.

Martin Taylor - English jazz maestro, although he incorporates folk, blues and hi-life. Even outdoes the mighty Joe Pass in the simultaneuous bass/chord/melody department. His version of Earl Klugh's 'Kiko' on 'Portraits' is phenomenal. His main influence is jazz piano king Art Tatum.

Martin Simpson - US-based English player. not just guitar, but banjo, ukelele, mandolin etc. Sort of Ry Cooderish. the most perfect crystal clear tone.

Tommy Emmanuel - check out 'Only'. Just 1 guitar. Another mate of Chet Atkins. Major league star back in his native Australia. Amazing right hand technique. His hands have to be schizophrenic to play the way he does. Great live too.

Leo Kottke - should need no introduction. Essential listening for any guitar freak. His fingerstyle 12-string playing with slide is just something else.

Adrian Legg - another US-based Brit.Supported the G3 tour (Satch, Vai, Johnson period). Mainly plays electro-acoustic mixing up country, classical, blues, rock.I think he must have 4 hands, each with 10 fingers by the sound of his playing.

[Edited by Fruitbat on 09-23-2003 at 06:31 AM]
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/23/2003 1:50 pm
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
My fingering technique (left hand technique) is exquisite, a very articulate yet melodious style, without distortion.

I'm humble in real life

~Incidents

To quote iiholly: "hmmmmm...."

At least you got the rockstar attitude down pat; now all you need is a steady gig!

[Edited by iamthe_eggman on 09-23-2003 at 08:53 AM]
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/23/2003 4:03 pm
Try Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits). Good with both classical and electric guitars, tasteful soloist, good improviser and generally holds back on distortion....one of my early favourites.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/24/2003 1:26 am
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
My fingering technique (left hand technique) is exquisite, a very articulate yet melodious style, without distortion.

I'm humble in real life

~Incidents

To quote iiholly: "hmmmmm...."

At least you got the rockstar attitude down pat; now all you need is a steady gig!

[Edited by iamthe_eggman on 09-23-2003 at 08:53 AM]

No, I was simply telling it how it is; That's not blowing it out of proportion at all. I mentioned that my right-hand technique wasn't perfect.

Also, I do have a steady gig, actually three gig locations, all steady. I don't have the rockstar attitude at all, I'm afraid you've been mistaken, my friend.

# 12
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/24/2003 3:01 am
[QUOTE]
No, I was simply telling it how it is; That's not blowing it out of proportion at all. I mentioned that my right-hand technique wasn't perfect.

I think he is talking about the way that you addressed your left hand technique as being exquisite and so on. Not the words of a humble musician, especially since your praising yourself. One piece of advice though, "the second you think your great is the second you truly stop striving to be better, and believe me there's alot ahead of you no matter how good you think you are now."
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 13
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/25/2003 10:08 pm
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
[QUOTE]

I think he is talking about the way that you addressed your left hand technique as being exquisite and so on. Not the words of a humble musician, especially since your praising yourself. One piece of advice though, "the second you think your great is the second you truly stop striving to be better, and believe me there's alot ahead of you no matter how good you think you are now."

I disagree; wordplay can be taken in any number of ways, and i in no way meant it to mean that.

my dad was talking about something and said the word exquisite, and it was a while since i said the word, so I wrote it down; misunderstandings, happen all the time.

# 14
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
09/25/2003 11:34 pm
Here is someone else who is just a wicked, WICKED musician but no one ever talks about is Neil Zaza... I just love his stuff as far as guitar music goes...

http://www.neilzaza.com

So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 15
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/26/2003 3:23 am
I just ran across Richie Kotzen...absolutley amazing.Check him out.Just search for him on yahoo or somthing...his site shouldnt be hard to find.

Later!
Try once,fail twice...
# 16
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/26/2003 3:53 am
from wat i read ur into the melody like style or somthin like that..for improvement on ur right hand put down ur electric guitar and pick up a classical guitar..i probly love my classical more than my eltric..ur right hand will then develope better..it made it easier for me to play eletric but thats just me
plus theres alot of great classical melodic songs on the classical (not saying there arnt any on the eletric)
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 17
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/26/2003 3:44 pm
Forgot to mention this guy:
http://www.jimmybruno.com
Former teacher of mine, probably one of the best be-bop guitar players alive in the world. Check out one of his cd's, it will have running to your room locking yourself in for hours practicing, realizing how little you actually know. Lot of great free stuff on the website, check it out (sound files, movie files, radio station, articles, etc).
# 18
nasum_human
nasum_human
09/26/2003 8:47 pm
dimebag darrel and zakk wylde, I know you're not a metalhead, but zakk is a big country fan and his album 'book of shadows' has some extremely tasteful leads on there. You cant mention robert fripp without mentioning adrian belew. Andy Summers from the police was an interesting guitarist, as well as carl verhayen (US session player) steve cropper (the rhythmn master) derek trucks (a bright young talent).
Dont get too wound up in trying to incorporate famous guitarist's techniques into your playing, by all means listen and take influence, but add something of your own. Practice the alternate picking until you have it perfect, that's what I did, I realised I was listening to too much music and just playing along. I got myself a metronome and made sure to regiment my practices, left hand and right. If you want to hear mastery of alternate picking, check out john petrucci, the guy is like a machine.
Just practice the areas you feel are holes in your playing until you're happy with them.
Julian Bream is an excellent classical guitarist, and a guy named Chieli minucci from a band called special EFX is a smooth jazz type player with a real laid back style.
Bassists can be an influence too, check out jaco pastoruis, stanley clarke, phil lynott, steve harris and cliff burton too!

hope there's some help in amongst that mess!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 19
u10ajf
u10ajf
09/28/2003 5:22 pm
King Crimson, Indiscipline. Buy it, there's nothing like it. Great songs (very ingeneous and funny) played by stunning musicians.
Rush, esp. 1976-84. Exit stage left is their best album.
Gottschalk - American pianist of 1800s, most cool.
Satriani - at his best this guy rules.
Terje Rypdal - very original guitarist, plays a mixture of jazzy and orchestral stuff. Rocky soloist but uses lots of volume swells. If mountains could sing is a smart album.
Marty Friedman - True obsessions has some great music with eastern scales. Great guitarist.
Chopin, Rachmaninov, Bach. Surely you've heard of these guys.
Allan Holdsworth, Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed and TJ Helmerich, all tops fusion guitarists, stunningly able musicians with impecable technique. sadly Lane's just died.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.