View post (Great Musicians)

View thread

nasum_human
nasum_human
09/26/2003 8:47 pm
dimebag darrel and zakk wylde, I know you're not a metalhead, but zakk is a big country fan and his album 'book of shadows' has some extremely tasteful leads on there. You cant mention robert fripp without mentioning adrian belew. Andy Summers from the police was an interesting guitarist, as well as carl verhayen (US session player) steve cropper (the rhythmn master) derek trucks (a bright young talent).
Dont get too wound up in trying to incorporate famous guitarist's techniques into your playing, by all means listen and take influence, but add something of your own. Practice the alternate picking until you have it perfect, that's what I did, I realised I was listening to too much music and just playing along. I got myself a metronome and made sure to regiment my practices, left hand and right. If you want to hear mastery of alternate picking, check out john petrucci, the guy is like a machine.
Just practice the areas you feel are holes in your playing until you're happy with them.
Julian Bream is an excellent classical guitarist, and a guy named Chieli minucci from a band called special EFX is a smooth jazz type player with a real laid back style.
Bassists can be an influence too, check out jaco pastoruis, stanley clarke, phil lynott, steve harris and cliff burton too!

hope there's some help in amongst that mess!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)