Your influences,style?

PersevereTheMetal
PersevereTheMetal
08/01/2003 10:03 pm
What derives your playing style? Who really influenced you to play?

For me, I'm not sure how to explain my style, Because i've never really looked at what i do. I'll have to get back to that one. But for my influences:: Chuck Schuldiner is my #1 influence, Just his riffs, His playing style, His abliity to completely sound new and refreshing on ever album floors me. He wrote some incredible lyrics, and was just so into the music that nothing mattered more to him. Pretty damn admirable. My #2 influence has to be Mark Tremonti. Alot of people put him down because he's in Creed but he's so great. He's a really good writer when it comes to his playing, I love how he sets moods with his riffs/chord progressions. And his technical ability is flawless. I've seen Creed live and man, Tremonti could really rip it up. WITHOUT overshadowing the rest of the band/song. 3# John Rzeznik..God he's a genius. He's so damn awesome and he's such a great writer/singer. He never writes two songs that sound the same.Melodywise and tuningwise. I've broken more than a few strings trying to play some Goo Goo Dolls stuff. 4# Satriani & Vai. Some people call them shredders or say they can play a million notes per minute but have no emotional value. I guess they've never really listened to them. Vai's whole "Passion & Warfare" just kicks total ass. He doesn't really show his skill..But his writing and technical ability is increible. I love his melodies and chord progressions. Same goes to Satriani. Great melodies and great chord progressions with kick ass technical ablities to really bring out the best in each song. And they both write some really emotional stuff. OK that about wraps up my playing, Combine those 5 guitarists and you have my playing style...More or less. What about you?
A condemning fear strikes down, Things they cannot understand..An exscuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within.
# 1
Enslaved2Metal
Enslaved2Metal
08/01/2003 10:53 pm
Well i have to say that my number one influence is Jimi Hendrix...he can do anything. his solos are amzing and he could play behind his back with his teeth...ANYTHING! He set the bar for any rock and roller to follow! And I cannot disagree with you about Chuck,Satriani, and Vai they are all very amazing musicians...Yngwie Malmsteen is also a very great musician. I also think that thrash guitarists such as Kerry King, Dimebag Darrel, and Max Cavalera have all influenced me quite a bit as well...as you can see these influences all come together to form the style i play, which is classic/power metal...
...Only one of us walks away...
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/02/2003 5:20 am
my influences are definitly malmsteen and randy rhodes.. when i first mr crowley i knew i had to play the gutiar so i could play like him..randy's music is so influential to me..his great sense of melody allong with some spped made everytihng i wanted in a song..then i heard malmsteen and his chops blasted me away..some people say he just shreds all over the guitar..well good for them i still love his music..to bad randy had to die..i like zack wylde and all but he will never be able to replace randy (not sayin thats what hes trying to do)he is also a great guitarist with some mad chops
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
08/02/2003 3:11 pm
My influences are pretty much any rock or blues guitarist. Especially SRV and JIMMY PAGE.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
PersevereTheMetal
PersevereTheMetal
08/02/2003 9:30 pm
I did forget Yngwie. The first time i heard him i was blown away also. His tone is just perfect. And his technique is just jaw dropping. People have told me also that he can't write and that all he does is shred, Which brings me to the conclusion they've never listened to him. Except MAYBE Far Beyond The Sun or Blackstar. Or some other instrumental. His other stuff is great too.
A condemning fear strikes down, Things they cannot understand..An exscuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within.
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/04/2003 9:22 am
Before I listened to SRV, I sounded a lot like him, because I loved playing the blues with an attitude, much like Gary Moore. After a while, I finally checked out SRV, and he influenced me even more, since it seemed like that was the sound I was trying too achieve.
Also, I have listened to a lot of Van Halen and Satch, and I have tried to get close to Allan Holdsworth's tone.

It gives one weird style, mine...
# 6
PersevereTheMetal
PersevereTheMetal
08/04/2003 6:11 pm
Allan Holdsworth good. Doing some of those chord stretches can be a pain.
# 7
Gainer
Gainer
08/05/2003 5:34 pm
For me, it was Hendrix to start, then Clapton, then EVH...
The list goes on forever now but it started with hendrix.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/05/2003 5:57 pm
I'd love to say David Gilmour, since he's my favourite guitarist and I love his tone, but I come off more like Jimmy Page style-wise.

However, lately my style has been shifting closer to Gilmour; more melodic than pentatonic "shred".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 9
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
08/05/2003 6:51 pm
the two biggest influences on my playing are Yngwie and Jon Scaffer. Yngwie, for his leads and Jon for the rhythm aspect. i think he's one of the best rhytm guitarists out there
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 10
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/11/2003 8:06 pm
Satriani's my biggest influence but it used to be Lifeson (rush) and I learned to do violin and pinch fluently instead of just trying to be a speed demon, I thought it'd allow me to show off less intrusively. Now I don't care;I love sweep picking and tapping. I love strange chord progressions too.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 11
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
08/12/2003 9:33 am
Ive got a pretty broad range of influences from the Eddie/Vai/Satch school through to fingerpickers like Jerry Reed, Albert Lee and Chet Atkins. I like to combine finger picking using a metal thumbpick with sweeping, tapping etc. Comes out a bit like Dixie Dregs. Also really like Tom Morello's stuff. He gets some interesting noises going.
# 12
TPOTRCM
TPOTRCM
08/16/2003 7:47 pm
I'm 21 years old and have been playing every day for about 4 or 5 years. I have yet to take a formal "lesson." Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, i don't know. But I consider my two biggest influences my teachers.
1. Edward Van Halen - the reason i picked up the guitar. His playing has so much emotion and intensity i knew i had to sound like him. VH1 still remains in heavy rotation in my car to this day.
2. Dimebag Darrel - this bastard made my fingers bleed on several occassions trying to master some of his riffs.

The Power of The Riff Compels Me...
# 13
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/19/2003 10:34 am
Bonnie Raitte was the reason I started playing. I've been listening to her since I was a wee one. I also listened to Jewel a lot, and when I began playing I grew from learning all her easy stuff.

# 14
Rubenmatre
Rubenmatre
08/23/2003 9:10 pm
My influence are kirk hammet, james hetfield, satch, vai , zakk wylde and of course Randhy Rhoads.
kirk hammet was the the reason i started to play guitar but i like zakk wylde and randy rhoads the most and my style is a mix of randy wylde me but james hetfield is the rhytm style in my hands
Hail to Randy Rhoads
# 15
sambob
sambob
08/24/2003 1:27 am
My biggest influences are definately Al DiMeola, Shawn Lane, Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, and probably Brett Garsed..and more recently Tony Macalpine, Greg Howe, Paul Gilbert, and a heavy dose of Joe Stump.

I say DiMeola and Holdsworth because those were the first two concerts I went to, they totally changed how I looked at the electric guitar. Even when i was really young I just didn't find pop players like eddie van halen, kirk hammet, randy rhoades very interesting.

As for my style, I've been studying classical guitar for a while, when i started playing electric I only played in that Gambale/Garsed style, but ever since I heard the faster players like Paul Gilbert I spend more time shredding.
# 16
The Other One
The Other One
08/24/2003 2:19 am
okay heres the major list of influences:

Jimi Hendrix
Jerry Garcia
Frank Zappa
Pat Metheny
Steve Vai
Kurt Cobain
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
Alex Lifeson
....What a long, strange trip its been.....
# 17
The Other One
The Other One
08/24/2003 2:22 am
and i left out quite a few:

Jerry Cantrell
Steve Howe
Steve Hackett
Billy Corgan

more left out....im kinda brain dead rite now lol
....What a long, strange trip its been.....
# 18
JamesStrat
JamesStrat
08/24/2003 9:54 am
my first influence was Buddy Holly, then James Dean Bradfield, when I was about 8, now I'm into good stuff:P
Richie Sambora is my main influence, I learn alot from him and I love his style.
also : Satch
Setzer
Malmsteen
Knopfler
Eddie Van Halen
# 19
LordLuzifer
LordLuzifer
08/24/2003 12:16 pm
i'm pretty influenced by vai as for the technique, i bend alot and dfive with the bar and slide in a vai-ish melodic style, and despite the fact that the only old school metal albums i have are 2 black sabbath i'm very influenced by that style, iron maiden, ac\dc, old metallica etc. it shows in my technique alot, quick bends, vibration etc.
petrucci influences me aswell with his divercity, those are really the main elements in my style, but i'm very influenced by just good compositions, and i really feel like all the other instruments are somehow relevant to my playing because of that..
if a song has only one guitar note but it would be composed well i'll be blown away and start playing it.
so i'm verry affected by bands like cradle of filth, marilyn manson, all sort of doom bands and such, and there're definetly bigger influences out there but i love the way it's composed, so that's also a part of me.
i love acoustic stuff too, the key to being a good distortion player is being a good acoustic player.
it's obviously not a necesity, but if you know how to play acoustic, then you really do know how to play guitar, it adds alot of touch and accent to your playing which in many guitarists often gets buried in the distortion.

[Edited by LordLuzifer on 08-24-2003 at 08:03 AM]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.