Why I love Gretsch guitars!

manXcat
manXcat
04/09/2023 1:43 am

Last year, I found my ultimate tonal niche, my Jazz Ibanez with Super '58s 'right tool for that job' in that niche notwithstanding.

The sound, playability and overall build quality of Gretschs' current Electromatics series ticks every box for me.

I thought this couldn't sound any better than it already does here, yet Gretsch have added even more value with the new FT-5E Filter'Trons  fitted to the current G5422TG! 

Was a truly tough cull buying my first Gretsch, but the double cut won out for me in the G5232T over the also much desired G5230T. Such an outstanding guitar for the money, and did I mention versatile? Laid back sweet neck Black Top Filter'Tron tone.  A few years older model same model (modded with Gretsch Mini Humbucker pickups) Electromatic Double Jet before the logo change, how about TS9 Tube Screamer assisted AC/DC anyone? Edit: A better Rock example of the G5232T's original Black'Top Filter'Tron pickups. Then to this, ersatz substitute for the early Beatles Harrisonesque vibe.

Sharing the magnificence. Love all my chosen instruments, but a Gretsch afficionado for life!

edited
# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/10/2023 2:32 am

Ah - manXcat - I feel it!

My current love...

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
04/10/2023 11:21 pm

You did post a pic of your Gretsch once before Rumble mentioning the model, but the new forum software wasn't co-operative in locating it. Is that the smaller bout/bodied G5655TG centre block in Apsen Green? If so, here's a magnificent aesthetic presentation of it. I love Bonners' presentations of their guitars for sale.

One of the  things I really like about Gretsch's Electromatics, are their pickups. Although not Gretsch's premium or prestige segment models, nevertheless, the FT-5E Filter'Trons and Black Top Filter'Trons and Broad'Trons sound so good OOTB, no need to change for performance excellence.

Amazing how all of their body shapes and builds have discernable unique sound signatures with the same Broad'Tron or Filter'Tron pickups aboard. I like the mids of the Black Top Broad'Trons too. I think I need another Gretsch. Haha. 

I was looking for a review from one of my fav demo people, but he hasn't demonstrated the G5655TG. Guitarist, who also reviewed my G5422TG, does a pretty good job though. So I found this there, although not in Aspen Green. Short, but shows off the fullness and richness of those Black Top Broad'Trons in this guitar well. Thought this one finesses and shows off its bluesy tones over the pickup selection range well.

👍 

edited
# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/11/2023 10:22 pm

That's it manXcat!  Thanks for the links.

My original intent the day I bought the Gretsch was to pick up a Gisbson 335 or similar.  While running through the rack, that Aspen Green 5655 caught my eye so I pulled it down and feel in love with it.  Not the most expensive.  Not the best stock tuners.  Not snazzy at all.  Really just an entry level, kind of low end electric.  Of all the guitars I picked up that day though, I kept coming back to it.  Pretty light to hold - smaller body than I intended, but I guess the shop had it setup just right because it just really fit me well and sounded great.

My first Bigsby tail piece.  I haven't really done much with that yet, but I'll get to it.

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
04/12/2023 5:09 am
#4 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

That's it manXcat!  Thanks for the links.

My original intent the day I bought the Gretsch was to pick up a Gisbson 335 or similar.  While running through the rack, that Aspen Green 5655 caught my eye so I pulled it down and feel in love with it.  Not the most expensive.  Not the best stock tuners.  Not snazzy at all.  Really just an entry level, kind of low end electric.  Of all the guitars I picked up that day though, I kept coming back to it.  Pretty light to hold - smaller body than I intended, but I guess the shop had it setup just right because it just really fit me well and sounded great.

My first Bigsby tail piece.  I haven't really done much with that yet, but I'll get to it.

Those OEM tuners hold tune well enough even with tortuous B70 Bigsby string routing. I have the same ones on my G5232T. Same string routing but the B50 Bigsby to accomodate the smaller body. Lots to compare them with from truly rubbish to locking Grover etc. Just not a label snob.

The Electromatics are Gretsch's mid segment series. Streamliners are their entry level. Upon inspection of both you can see the noticible difference in build quality, particularly finish and hardware fitout. I nearly bought a G2420 or G2420T Streamliner tempted by Fender AU recently reducing stockholding exposure for a short time with killer dealer sale pricing, but went to my sole LMS who I knew had several Gretsches in store to check them out. They had it on the shelf along with other Streamliners. Owning Electromatics, I came away disappointed. I'd possibly have bought the G2420 if I could obtain Gretsch parts as easily and inexpensively here as in the US, but unable to decded not to. Decided I'd rather pay the premium for the Electromatic G5420 (hardtail) or T (Bigsby) if I wanted that style.

IDK what you paid, but in AU the Gretsch Electromatics are pitched at the same price point as highest end Squiers/and model dependent, lower thru mid end Fender, mid to mid upper level Ibanez again model dependent. Pricing certainly isn't anywhere near entry level here.

Even though your G5655T is  a semi-hollow, with the centre block it should still have a bit of heft to it. Do you know what it weighs? Must be the smaller body? My larger bodied full hollow body is lightish at 3.3kg, but the chambered solid body has a bit of weight about it as does my Ibanez semi-hollow (with centre block) at 3.8kg, although the latter is the similar bout size as the Gxx22 series Gretches and an ES-335.

I actually prefer the smaller Gxx55s body for body English fit, but prefer the sound of the Gxx22s, and fortunately the slimline of the larger body types avoids the reach and comfort problem full body Dreadnoughts cause me. 

edited
# 5
hendersonross145
hendersonross145
02/06/2024 4:03 pm

That's such a cool story! 😊 It's amazing how sometimes the guitar that speaks to us isn't necessarily the flashiest or most expensive one on the rack. It sounds like you found a real gem for the budget! 💰 There's just something special about a guitar that feels like it was made just for you, isn't there? Happy strumming!👍

# 7
krystinafeeney22
krystinafeeney22
03/27/2024 8:34 am

When comparing Gretsch Electromatics and Streamliners, what are the noticeable differences in build quality, finish, and hardware fitout? Could you elaborate on your experience with both series and why you ultimately chose the Electromatic G5420 over the Streamliner G2420 or G2420T?

# 8
manXcat
manXcat
03/29/2024 3:10 am
#8 Originally Posted by: krystinafeeney22

When comparing Gretsch Electromatics and Streamliners, what are the noticeable differences in build quality, finish, and hardware fitout? Could you elaborate on your experience with both series and why you ultimately chose the Electromatic G5420 over the Streamliner G2420 or G2420T?

I ended up never buying either a G5420 or G2420. I was considering it, and so comparing them hands on IRL prior to pressing the buy button. 

In the particular examples in store at the time -it was my local music store in a regional city here in AU so a smaller guitar store, although they had a good range of Gretsch guitars, they didn't have multiple examples of each model nor the exhaustive model range of a large city multi store chain. The G5420T Electromatic I compared with the G2420T Streamliner I saw was superior in attention to finish, some aspects of build and detail quality as well as of course, the pickup models and with different accessories like the plastic knobs fitted to the Streamliner. IDK about the internal Electronics although as you see in a moment, AFAIC that latter is largely academic unless there's an audible issue. 

Both Gretsch I bought previously were double cuts, one top of the Electromatic range, so my expectations were set high. 

Since I last posted in this thread, I've acquired another Gretsch. This time a Streamliner, another double cut but this time a semi-hollow with V-Stoptaill and fitted with Gretsch FideliSonic P-90s. Long story short, I had lusted for this guitar for a while when it came up at a too good to refuse price. So it was an impulse purchase sight unseen other than many online demos and Gretsch's website purchase.

The model is their G2622-P90 Streamliner, which sadly appears to have since been deleted from Gretsch's 2024 model lineup. Although I was happy to compromise on the differences of the Streamliner vs Electromatic builds because of the price and desire for those FideliSonics, I was surprised by the build quality and finish of the example I received. WOW! Accessories and detail things like the different headstock logo notwithstanding & modest yet unique and stylish inlays, finish and overall build quality wise it was as good as both Electromatics. I can't fault this Streamliner's tuner mechs either. I would buy the same guitar again in a heartbeat.

I had planned to swap out the Streamliner's selector switch and knobs for chrome Electromatic ones, but TBH I liked the tasteful retro cream plastic knob and switch tip matchup with the cream pickup surrounds fitted OOTB to the dark Claret Burst stain body from the outset. I had already sourced the chrome Electromatic parts, but in hindsight decided not to fit them saving them for another project as this guy has done here with his G2420 , if I ever get one with black plastic knobs.

Now to the essential part. My Streamliner plays like a dream guitar, feeling every bit as good in my hands as either Electromatic. I find swapping between the Classic "C", thin "U" and soft "C" neck profiles of my three Gretsch instruments a complete non-issue. The frets and edges of the Streamliner are well finished, as is the entire guitar. The FideliSonic pickups are fantastic to my ear for my wants & needs, tonally the primary reason for my purchase of this guitar. 

This demo demonstrates the G2422T-P90 version (w/ Bigsby), but I included it as it offers an alternative superb tonal demonstration of quintessentially the same guitar and pickups.

On the basis of my subsequent experience I wouldn't hesitate for a heartbeat to buy any Streamliner if I liked the tone of its pickups and it was the body/guitar style I wanted. Ultimately the experience is subjective, but I hope that supplies info useful to you.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.