View post (Why I love Gretsch guitars!)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
04/12/2023 5:09 am
#4 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

That's it manXcat!  Thanks for the links.

My original intent the day I bought the Gretsch was to pick up a Gisbson 335 or similar.  While running through the rack, that Aspen Green 5655 caught my eye so I pulled it down and feel in love with it.  Not the most expensive.  Not the best stock tuners.  Not snazzy at all.  Really just an entry level, kind of low end electric.  Of all the guitars I picked up that day though, I kept coming back to it.  Pretty light to hold - smaller body than I intended, but I guess the shop had it setup just right because it just really fit me well and sounded great.

My first Bigsby tail piece.  I haven't really done much with that yet, but I'll get to it.

Those OEM tuners hold tune well enough even with tortuous B70 Bigsby string routing. I have the same ones on my G5232T. Same string routing but the B50 Bigsby to accomodate the smaller body. Lots to compare them with from truly rubbish to locking Grover etc. Just not a label snob.

The Electromatics are Gretsch's mid segment series. Streamliners are their entry level. Upon inspection of both you can see the noticible difference in build quality, particularly finish and hardware fitout. I nearly bought a G2420 or G2420T Streamliner tempted by Fender AU recently reducing stockholding exposure for a short time with killer dealer sale pricing, but went to my sole LMS who I knew had several Gretsches in store to check them out. They had it on the shelf along with other Streamliners. Owning Electromatics, I came away disappointed. I'd possibly have bought the G2420 if I could obtain Gretsch parts as easily and inexpensively here as in the US, but unable to decded not to. Decided I'd rather pay the premium for the Electromatic G5420 (hardtail) or T (Bigsby) if I wanted that style.

IDK what you paid, but in AU the Gretsch Electromatics are pitched at the same price point as highest end Squiers/and model dependent, lower thru mid end Fender, mid to mid upper level Ibanez again model dependent. Pricing certainly isn't anywhere near entry level here.

Even though your G5655T is  a semi-hollow, with the centre block it should still have a bit of heft to it. Do you know what it weighs? Must be the smaller body? My larger bodied full hollow body is lightish at 3.3kg, but the chambered solid body has a bit of weight about it as does my Ibanez semi-hollow (with centre block) at 3.8kg, although the latter is the similar bout size as the Gxx22 series Gretches and an ES-335.

I actually prefer the smaller Gxx55s body for body English fit, but prefer the sound of the Gxx22s, and fortunately the slimline of the larger body types avoids the reach and comfort problem full body Dreadnoughts cause me. 

edited