Just starting and feel like it’s impossible already please help!

kyward812
kyward812
11/16/2022 5:58 pm

Hi I'm Kyle and have always wanted to play guitar so I seen GuitarTricks online and thought it's time. Well it was going good until I got to chords. I am trying to learn the 1st ones G major I feel like it is impossible for me. I am trying to twist my arm up and anything else just to make my middle finger not touch the fifth string and nothing will work. I don't understand it's fine until I add the 3rd finger on the 6th string and then my middle touches the other one. I'm at a loss this early into and I already don't know what to do. Does anyone maybe have a tip or something? I'm so frustrated I don't know what else I can do to get this to work.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/16/2022 8:04 pm

I made this some time ago for another member having trouble with finger placement. Try this elbow tip, it may help.

https://youtu.be/LL3tKRceOYI

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/16/2022 9:44 pm

Hang in there Kyle!  You're in the right place and will progress.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/17/2022 4:35 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: kyward812

Hi I'm Kyle and have always wanted to play guitar so I seen GuitarTricks online and thought it's time. Well it was going good until I got to chords. I am trying to learn the 1st ones G major I feel like it is impossible for me. I am trying to twist my arm up and anything else just to make my middle finger not touch the fifth string and nothing will work. I don't understand it's fine until I add the 3rd finger on the 6th string and then my middle touches the other one. I'm at a loss this early into and I already don't know what to do. Does anyone maybe have a tip or something? I'm so frustrated I don't know what else I can do to get this to work.

Something to be mindful; let's say you're naturally a righthanded person and you use your right hand to write with. The put the pen in to your left hand and try to write as naturally and with good penmanship as you would with your right hand. You probably can't.

Well, that probably what it feels like learning new chords; all wrong.

If you took the 'ergonomics' leassons here at GT, you got some good insight about how to place a guitar optimally. If you haven't, watch it.

With that said, Think in terms of your arm, wrist and hand as a mechanical connect to the guitar. Somewhat like a physics thing. Each and every person is built differently. My arm and your arm are different so our relationship to the guitar neck will vary from me to you. What that means is that no single 'thing' answers how to be confortable making chords.

But, there are tools.

First, use a strap. Why? You can adjust the strap to be in an optimal spot for you. I've been playing for decades and unknowingly, when I started, I used a strap even when sitting. You can adjust to place the guitar in the best spot for you. Also, you don't have to 'hold' the guitar in order to play the guitar. Think of this stuff as a set up for success. This allows you to not have to worry about the guitar when you play it. It'll take a little time to find that optimal placement but it's worth doing.

Playing chords. I've said many times that it is worth just becomming comfrtable with just one chord at a time. For G Major, not an easy chord at the start. You have to fret the top and bottom strings. Simply place one figer at a time in the right place. Then just strum away on that chord. Don't try to change to another chord. The idea is that you simply want to be comfortable with your placement. This also means that it's not going to be perfect and you'll have some buzzing and moments that you think it ain't gonna work.

It's just gonna happen.

So, first get that guitar placement/ergonomic thing down. THEN take time drilling on that chord. It's about building. Get comfy with one chord. Then another. Then practice changes from that first chord to the second. As much as we want to be good fast, it's much more methodical to really build from at the start.

# 4
Off-GridOverview
Full Access
Off-GridOverview
Full Access
11/17/2022 4:45 pm

All great advice above! So I wont try and add any more.

Stick with it, it seams hard now but in a month you wil love tha G!

I was told this countles times and didnt beleive it, you will get it, it literally just takes allot of practice.

I told my kids whe they first started... It seams hard now but that is just because you know nothing yet. As you learn this and that, it starts to get allot easer. Things start to just fall into place and light buls go off

Keep at it, you wont regret it.

2013 Gibson SGJ 

2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom 

Roland Cube 40 Amp

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/18/2022 9:57 am

to Jeff

but also applies to Kyle

I'm sure I'm like many I trawl around the internet watching other tutorials and videos

JustinGuitar is another well known lesson site

He is an accomplished guitarist and tutor but he is doing a range of lessons as he relearns the guitar left handed

He is constantly being surprised by the difficulty and awkwardness of the movements he is trying to ingrain in his new positions. He admits it has made him rethink about how he teaches his lessons

Having to go back to using a very paper thin pick . Having to go very slow and a step at a time and not rushing to the next step that his right hand brain knows so well.

It's something we have chosen to attempt . We know a new skill is never easy and yet we constantly beat ourselves up when we aren't playing full songs after 5 minutes.

keep it fun. Find some recognisable one string licks, even if it is Smoke on the Water,  it's something you can easily do which you can go back to and get something which is recognisable as musical and cheers us up at the same time. 

We need to get our fun anyway we can to overcome those frustrations which everybody had and we can see so many got through

Dave

edited
# 6
kyward812
kyward812
11/18/2022 11:06 am

Thank you all so much. I found some stuff about playing G with 2 fingers and can do it so I'll work my way up. I'm going to take everyone's advice and see how that goes too. I'm not quitting though I need to do this! Thanks again everyone

# 7
kyward812
kyward812
11/18/2022 11:08 am
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

I made this some time ago for another member having trouble with finger placement. Try this elbow tip, it may help.

https://youtu.be/LL3tKRceOYI

I just watched and it seems like some good advice. Im going to try it this morning thanks.

# 8
kyward812
kyward812
11/18/2022 11:10 am
#4 Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Something to be mindful; let's say you're naturally a righthanded person and you use your right hand to write with. The put the pen in to your left hand and try to write as naturally and with good penmanship as you would with your right hand. You probably can't.

Well, that probably what it feels like learning new chords; all wrong.

If you took the 'ergonomics' leassons here at GT, you got some good insight about how to place a guitar optimally. If you haven't, watch it.

With that said, Think in terms of your arm, wrist and hand as a mechanical connect to the guitar. Somewhat like a physics thing. Each and every person is built differently. My arm and your arm are different so our relationship to the guitar neck will vary from me to you. What that means is that no single 'thing' answers how to be confortable making chords.

But, there are tools.

First, use a strap. Why? You can adjust the strap to be in an optimal spot for you. I've been playing for decades and unknowingly, when I started, I used a strap even when sitting. You can adjust to place the guitar in the best spot for you. Also, you don't have to 'hold' the guitar in order to play the guitar. Think of this stuff as a set up for success. This allows you to not have to worry about the guitar when you play it. It'll take a little time to find that optimal placement but it's worth doing.

Playing chords. I've said many times that it is worth just becomming comfrtable with just one chord at a time. For G Major, not an easy chord at the start. You have to fret the top and bottom strings. Simply place one figer at a time in the right place. Then just strum away on that chord. Don't try to change to another chord. The idea is that you simply want to be comfortable with your placement. This also means that it's not going to be perfect and you'll have some buzzing and moments that you think it ain't gonna work.

It's just gonna happen.

So, first get that guitar placement/ergonomic thing down. THEN take time drilling on that chord. It's about building. Get comfy with one chord. Then another. Then practice changes from that first chord to the second. As much as we want to be good fast, it's much more methodical to really build from at the start.

Ok thanks I'm just going to start drilling it until I get it

# 9
kyward812
kyward812
11/18/2022 11:14 am
#6 Originally Posted by: ddiddler

to Jeff

but also applies to Kyle

I'm sure I'm like many I trawl around the internet watching other tutorials and videos

JustinGuitar is another well known lesson site

He is an accomplished guitarist and tutor but he is doing a range of lessons as he relearns the guitar left handed

He is constantly being surprised by the difficulty and awkwardness of the movements he is trying to ingrain in his new positions. He admits it has made him rethink about how he teaches his lessons

Having to go back to using a very paper thin pick . Having to go very slow and a step at a time and not rushing to the next step that his right hand brain knows so well.

It's something we have chosen to attempt . We know a new skill is never easy and yet we constantly beat ourselves up when we aren't playing full songs after 5 minutes.

keep it fun. Find some recognisable one string licks, even if it is Smoke on the Water,  it's something you can easily do which you can go back to and get something which is recognisable as musical and cheers us up at the same time. 

We need to get our fun anyway we can to overcome those frustrations which everybody had and we can see so many got through

Dave

Ya I have taken breaks with smoke on the water and the pentatonic scale I think is what it is and it helps. I was just frustrated but found a few shortcuts to make it easier until I build up to it. Thanks for the advice I think I will try a thin pick though

# 10
blajacl85
Full Access
blajacl85
Full Access
11/18/2022 11:51 am

I'm learning too. Do you want to zoom and be guitar buddies?

# 11
kyward812
kyward812
11/18/2022 11:56 am
#11 Originally Posted by: blajacl85

I'm learning too. Do you want to zoom and be guitar buddies?

Sure man I am completely new so I can't do anything yet really but that would be cool. When I get home from work I'll try and figure out zoom lol never used it before

# 12
jetandjaz22
jetandjaz22
11/27/2022 11:32 pm

there is a well known online guitar instructor who says he has small hands and drops the 3rd finger and only play the 2 and 1 finger.  that is what I do  

# 13
jetandjaz22
jetandjaz22
11/27/2022 11:34 pm

there is a well known online guitar instructor who says he has small hands and drops the 3rd finger and only play the 2 and 1 finger.  that is what I do  

# 14
rah618
rah618
11/29/2022 12:03 am

I've been learning for some time myself. I can say, I still have issues with my third finger (on the low E string) touching the A string at times - so I get the best I can for now and move-on. Early-on I learned though, that I was pressing way too hard causing my finger tip to flatten-out and touch nearby strings. Trust me, no chords are easy. You will want to work with that for many hours. Just practice releasing the fingers and resetting them on the G chord over and over and over. Maybe while you watch TV. You might want to try adjusting the guitar so it is straight to your body - no on an angle - - that will cause your fingers to also be on an angle. In short, there are many factors that can be causing this, but quitting will not resolve any of it. I urger you to practice the hell out of it until you accomplish this. Oh, yeah, your finger tips will toughen-up, then it will natuarlly be easier also.

# 15
innocci
innocci
04/11/2023 11:54 pm

Just hang in there. Your hands are doing things they haven't done before. It's ok to play a two finger G chord, but don't get too caught up in it, it will just limit your improvement. Don't give up because something is challenging, if you do, you will only be a mediocre player. Before long you will find it hard to believe that the G chord was so difficult for you. Believe it or not, before long the G chord won't take any thought at all, it's actually an easy chord to play.

In the martial arts we have a saying, "a black belt is simply a white belt that didn't give up."

# 16
RonJ66
RonJ66
04/12/2023 12:44 am

Hi Kyle.  Lots of us have the same problem you do.  So you're not alone.

I promise if you stick with it, you'll learn.

I was told that playing the guitar isn't a hobby or pastime, but a sport.

You have to put in the time and practice and don't give up.

I'm still very much a beginner, but I do see results.

My mindset went from "Never going to happen" to

"I can do this". 

BTW a big help with wrist and fingers was that I now place the guitar on my 

left leg (Like classical) and hold the neck up until it feels natural.  

Feels better for me.

# 17
innocci
innocci
04/12/2023 2:13 am
#17 Originally Posted by: RonJ66

Hi Kyle.  Lots of us have the same problem you do.  So you're not alone.

I promise if you stick with it, you'll learn.

I was told that playing the guitar isn't a hobby or pastime, but a sport.

You have to put in the time and practice and don't give up.

I'm still very much a beginner, but I do see results.

My mindset went from "Never going to happen" to

"I can do this". 

BTW a big help with wrist and fingers was that I now place the guitar on my 

left leg (Like classical) and hold the neck up until it feels natural.  

Feels better for me.

You have the perfect attitude, I've been playing for about forty two years. You keep that attitude and you'll be a great guitar player.

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.