View post (Just starting and feel like it’s impossible already please help!)

View thread

kyward812
kyward812
11/18/2022 11:10 am
#4 Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Something to be mindful; let's say you're naturally a righthanded person and you use your right hand to write with. The put the pen in to your left hand and try to write as naturally and with good penmanship as you would with your right hand. You probably can't.

Well, that probably what it feels like learning new chords; all wrong.

If you took the 'ergonomics' leassons here at GT, you got some good insight about how to place a guitar optimally. If you haven't, watch it.

With that said, Think in terms of your arm, wrist and hand as a mechanical connect to the guitar. Somewhat like a physics thing. Each and every person is built differently. My arm and your arm are different so our relationship to the guitar neck will vary from me to you. What that means is that no single 'thing' answers how to be confortable making chords.

But, there are tools.

First, use a strap. Why? You can adjust the strap to be in an optimal spot for you. I've been playing for decades and unknowingly, when I started, I used a strap even when sitting. You can adjust to place the guitar in the best spot for you. Also, you don't have to 'hold' the guitar in order to play the guitar. Think of this stuff as a set up for success. This allows you to not have to worry about the guitar when you play it. It'll take a little time to find that optimal placement but it's worth doing.

Playing chords. I've said many times that it is worth just becomming comfrtable with just one chord at a time. For G Major, not an easy chord at the start. You have to fret the top and bottom strings. Simply place one figer at a time in the right place. Then just strum away on that chord. Don't try to change to another chord. The idea is that you simply want to be comfortable with your placement. This also means that it's not going to be perfect and you'll have some buzzing and moments that you think it ain't gonna work.

It's just gonna happen.

So, first get that guitar placement/ergonomic thing down. THEN take time drilling on that chord. It's about building. Get comfy with one chord. Then another. Then practice changes from that first chord to the second. As much as we want to be good fast, it's much more methodical to really build from at the start.

Ok thanks I'm just going to start drilling it until I get it