View post (Just starting and feel like it’s impossible already please help!)

View thread

innocci
innocci
04/11/2023 11:54 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: kyward812

Hi I'm Kyle and have always wanted to play guitar so I seen GuitarTricks online and thought it's time. Well it was going good until I got to chords. I am trying to learn the 1st ones G major I feel like it is impossible for me. I am trying to twist my arm up and anything else just to make my middle finger not touch the fifth string and nothing will work. I don't understand it's fine until I add the 3rd finger on the 6th string and then my middle touches the other one. I'm at a loss this early into and I already don't know what to do. Does anyone maybe have a tip or something? I'm so frustrated I don't know what else I can do to get this to work.

Just hang in there. Your hands are doing things they haven't done before. It's ok to play a two finger G chord, but don't get too caught up in it, it will just limit your improvement. Don't give up because something is challenging, if you do, you will only be a mediocre player. Before long you will find it hard to believe that the G chord was so difficult for you. Believe it or not, before long the G chord won't take any thought at all, it's actually an easy chord to play.

In the martial arts we have a saying, "a black belt is simply a white belt that didn't give up."