View post (Just starting and feel like it’s impossible already please help!)

View thread

rah618
rah618
11/29/2022 12:03 am
#1 Originally Posted by: kyward812

Hi I'm Kyle and have always wanted to play guitar so I seen GuitarTricks online and thought it's time. Well it was going good until I got to chords. I am trying to learn the 1st ones G major I feel like it is impossible for me. I am trying to twist my arm up and anything else just to make my middle finger not touch the fifth string and nothing will work. I don't understand it's fine until I add the 3rd finger on the 6th string and then my middle touches the other one. I'm at a loss this early into and I already don't know what to do. Does anyone maybe have a tip or something? I'm so frustrated I don't know what else I can do to get this to work.

I've been learning for some time myself. I can say, I still have issues with my third finger (on the low E string) touching the A string at times - so I get the best I can for now and move-on. Early-on I learned though, that I was pressing way too hard causing my finger tip to flatten-out and touch nearby strings. Trust me, no chords are easy. You will want to work with that for many hours. Just practice releasing the fingers and resetting them on the G chord over and over and over. Maybe while you watch TV. You might want to try adjusting the guitar so it is straight to your body - no on an angle - - that will cause your fingers to also be on an angle. In short, there are many factors that can be causing this, but quitting will not resolve any of it. I urger you to practice the hell out of it until you accomplish this. Oh, yeah, your finger tips will toughen-up, then it will natuarlly be easier also.