Backtracking in my studies.

scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
04/23/2021 2:01 am

Hey everyone!

I've hit the point in my Rock course journey where I think I'm going to step on the brakes for a moment and revisit some old concepts.

I've been slowly chipping away at the Rock course over the last 1-2 years. Has obviously transformed my playing completely and I'm well on the way to getting over that intermediate hump.

I'm half way through Rock level 2 as we speak, and I just finished the arpeggio lessons. It was at this point that I decided to go all the way back to Rock level 1 and redo soloing 101. I think revisiting these concepts with better technique and more wisdom will really help solidify it all. For me, I have no problem playing any of the licks, including the arpeggios. It's more tying it all together and improvising with them in a way that's stylish.

I hope after revising soloing 101, lead secrets revealed, and the Arpeggio lessons once more, that'll really take my lead playing to the next level.

That, and my vibrato and bending still kind of sucks. Like, not terrible, but definitely unprofessional sounding. And it still just feels kind of unnatural.

When was a time you decided to pause your progression throughout a course to backtrack and work on some areas of opportunity?

Also, could anyone share their experiences of doing a live lesson with Anders on here; I'm thinking about possibly doing that to sort out some of the 'fine tuning' my playing requires.

Happy to be here! Still one of the greatest decisions I've ever made!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/23/2021 4:28 pm

This is a great idea! The great thing about Guitar Tricks is that you aren't locked into any particular curriculum. You can absolutely revisit lessons you've previously completed for a refresher. We would like to encourage other students to take this approach as well. Thanks for posting this and good luck on your journey!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/25/2021 1:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

This is a great idea! The great thing about Guitar Tricks is that you aren't locked into any particular curriculum. You can absolutely revisit lessons you've previously completed for a refresher. We would like to encourage other students to take this approach as well. Thanks for posting this and good luck on your journey!

I find that returning to a lesson, after I have had some time to practice, is frequently illuminating... in ways it was not the first time around. I come at it with newly developed eyes and ears after practicing a technique for sometime. What the instructor says often can be interpreted in a diffrent way the second and third time around. I view these returns as part and parcel of developing as a musician.

References that simply slipped by me the first time around, make sense after I have worked to understand and practice the technique a bit. I really do frequently find new eyes on an old topic. These new "ah ha" moments that deepen my comprehension and develop my ablities.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.