Guitar strap

tysonbaudistel
tysonbaudistel
12/31/2020 6:58 am

Complete newbie here, just got a Yamaha F325d from my son to learn on. So I've started the videos on tunning. But I'm struggling with my left had and trying to get the strings with out pressing down on other strings. So I was wondering if I should get a strap and learn standing up to start. I noticed this Yamaha only has the one pin. So I'm kinda of lost on what strap and how to attach it, if anyone can shed some advice on what to look for

Thanks

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/31/2020 8:24 am

Acoustic straps will have a tie string for the neck. Standing up or sitting down is user preference. As noted in a response to your original post, fingers will have a tendency to touch other strings until you have trained yourself on how to position them. Lisa discusses this in her course as I noted in your original post. There aren't any shortcuts to this. You've got the guitar now you have to get into the habit of practicing and working through her course.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/31/2020 8:44 am

Hello

Many options, but for folk guitars without a neck heel button something like this is customary.

To strap or not when sitting is a polarising topic. I don't hold a dogmatic perspective on it and do both as I please acoustic or electric, so as [u]you[/u] please. Same with sitting or standing.

The [u]exceptions[/u] where I prefer to use a strap when sitting would be for Les Paul electric solid bodies with its imbalance idiosyncrasy and Dreadnought acoustic bodies which are an ill fit for me, and which the Yamaha F325D is.

Cheers,

manXcat

# 3
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
12/31/2020 3:10 pm

My new guitar is the same. No second button. I ordered one from Amazon and watched YouTube videos about how to install it. It's theoreticallly easy, but I haven't mustered up the nerve just yet to try it.

I did read that tying the strap to the headstock is a bad idea as it puts additional pressure on the neck, so maybe not something to do long term for either of us... so I gotta get up the nerve to drill a hole in my nice new guitar...

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/31/2020 4:28 pm

Securing a strap button on the heel of the guitar neck is really easy. Read/comprehend the instructions. Assemble the needed tools (a drill, bits, a center punch, a hammer, an appropiately tipped screw driver). Mark the location where the hole will be drilled and use the center punch and hammer to make a diviot where you will drill your hole. Make sure the dirll bit diameter is smaller than the screw you intend to install. This will assure that the screw goes in straight and establishes a firm hold on the wood. (just in case.... if you drill a hole that is too loose for the screw, you can make a second attempt to secure it by placing a match stick and a drop of wood glue into the hole before you tighten the screw into the same hole. The match stick will make the hole tight enough to secure the screw.)

Withe your strap attached to a button on the heel of the guitar neck, you will find that your guitar will hang in a steady position, right where you want it to be when you play it. The guitar will not slide left and right as you play. If you tie to the end of the neck the guitar will have a tendency to move around on your body. This complicates the very reason you got a strap in the first place. It really is easy to do the button instalutton on the heel of the neck. You will be much happier with that kind of attachment. It is a great first dyi guitar project and you are very much capable of accomplishing the job.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
12/31/2020 8:15 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83.. so I gotta get up the nerve to drill a hole in my nice new guitar...

It's easy Faith. I do it for my acoustics supplied without. It just about confidence you won't screw it up installing on your new/fav guitar.

The 4 considerations I'd suggest are;

1. Think about where you want the heel button on your guitar [u]before[/u] you install it. There are two conventional alternative positions,

2. (i) Decide what shape/kind of button and straplock you want to use at the heel. (ii) Some e-acoustics have a seperate strap button from the TS cable input jack at the base of the body, some don't. For ones which do, you can fit Schaller lock style buttons easily in both positions. Those silicon locks can be a PITA fitting and removing a strap regularly on some shape and size conventional buttons.

3. Drill the [u]hole slightly undersize[/u] for a woodscrew. You can always drill a bigger hole, but not a smaller one. Use a [u]little[/u] dry lube applied to the thread of the screw to ease the screw into the hole.

4. Lastly. 'Mr. Murphy says' keep all tools away from the area you are working on your guitar except the ones in your hand. = ]

manXcat

# 6
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
12/31/2020 10:23 pm

Thanks, manX! #1 is the one that flummoxes me. I had no idea there were options for that and I have no clue where I want the button to be except, you know, on the guitar... LOL

Also the angle throws me -- figuring out what it should be. These are not things I've ever thought of and I'm a bit lost...

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 7
manXcat
manXcat
12/31/2020 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83

Thanks, manX! #1 is the one that flummoxes me. I had no idea there were options for that and I have no clue where I want the button to be except, you know, on the guitar... LOL

Also the angle throws me -- figuring out what it should be. These are not things I've ever thought of and I'm a bit lost...

Read this. When in doubt and I want a definitive information or suggestion, Stewmac are my go to. Probably information overload, but common sense will sort out prefered acoustic options for you.

In my observation, the two [u]most common[/u] for acoustic are 2 & 5 in this image. 5 is very popular. I prefer 2 because it doesn't obstruct anywhere I want to place my hand at the neck/heel for access to upper frets already difficult enough on an acoustic guitar relative to electric, even a cutaway, and it provides a solid flat block of mahogany to easily drill a hole at the angle you want in this case perpendicular, into.

On my Yamaha APX600 the heel block where it's mounted is slightly recessed so the button doesn't stick out as far as it would otherwise, which might be a disadvantage as StewMac point out for lying down in a hard case without some foam/token mod for it. Not difficult, expensive or really cause to not choose it over its advantages as I see it. Soft case/gig bag it's immaterial. As is, my guitars all live on wall hangers, stands and in my hands, so moot, and I have a piece of high density grey foam redundant space filler from a GoPro case I've tailored for my acoustic hard case which lives in it.

As for the operational ergonomic of position 2, the guitar body English sit and fit hangs fine on the strap in that position IMPE. StewMac point out their preference for and advantage of "it pulls the guitar toward you" position 5.

I haven't fitted a strap button to my Dreadnought yet. When not sitting, been using a neck nut tie as becauseof its just 'orrible size/personal fit, regardless its tone I don't play it much. I might try position 5 when I do, because it needs the neck to be pulled toward me to counteract the natural tendency of it to push away because of its body bulk battle with my arm length. Not something that presents as necessary with the balance and ergonomics of my other acoustics.

Also a suggestion I forgot. Practice on a piece of junk wood to build confidence and apply the 3P method of preparation, practice, perfect before attempting the actual installation. Lastly, before you drill, remember the age old adage of 'measure twice, cut once'. Take a couple of days to be sure where you want to place the button. The right place is where [u]you[/u] want it.

Cheers,

manXcat

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.