View post (Guitar strap)

View thread

manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/31/2020 8:15 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83.. so I gotta get up the nerve to drill a hole in my nice new guitar...

It's easy Faith. I do it for my acoustics supplied without. It just about confidence you won't screw it up installing on your new/fav guitar.

The 4 considerations I'd suggest are;

1. Think about where you want the heel button on your guitar [u]before[/u] you install it. There are two conventional alternative positions,

2. (i) Decide what shape/kind of button and straplock you want to use at the heel. (ii) Some e-acoustics have a seperate strap button from the TS cable input jack at the base of the body, some don't. For ones which do, you can fit Schaller lock style buttons easily in both positions. Those silicon locks can be a PITA fitting and removing a strap regularly on some shape and size conventional buttons.

3. Drill the [u]hole slightly undersize[/u] for a woodscrew. You can always drill a bigger hole, but not a smaller one. Use a [u]little[/u] dry lube applied to the thread of the screw to ease the screw into the hole.

4. Lastly. 'Mr. Murphy says' keep all tools away from the area you are working on your guitar except the ones in your hand. = ]

manXcat