View post (Guitar strap)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
12/31/2020 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83

Thanks, manX! #1 is the one that flummoxes me. I had no idea there were options for that and I have no clue where I want the button to be except, you know, on the guitar... LOL

Also the angle throws me -- figuring out what it should be. These are not things I've ever thought of and I'm a bit lost...

Read this. When in doubt and I want a definitive information or suggestion, Stewmac are my go to. Probably information overload, but common sense will sort out prefered acoustic options for you.

In my observation, the two [u]most common[/u] for acoustic are 2 & 5 in this image. 5 is very popular. I prefer 2 because it doesn't obstruct anywhere I want to place my hand at the neck/heel for access to upper frets already difficult enough on an acoustic guitar relative to electric, even a cutaway, and it provides a solid flat block of mahogany to easily drill a hole at the angle you want in this case perpendicular, into.

On my Yamaha APX600 the heel block where it's mounted is slightly recessed so the button doesn't stick out as far as it would otherwise, which might be a disadvantage as StewMac point out for lying down in a hard case without some foam/token mod for it. Not difficult, expensive or really cause to not choose it over its advantages as I see it. Soft case/gig bag it's immaterial. As is, my guitars all live on wall hangers, stands and in my hands, so moot, and I have a piece of high density grey foam redundant space filler from a GoPro case I've tailored for my acoustic hard case which lives in it.

As for the operational ergonomic of position 2, the guitar body English sit and fit hangs fine on the strap in that position IMPE. StewMac point out their preference for and advantage of "it pulls the guitar toward you" position 5.

I haven't fitted a strap button to my Dreadnought yet. When not sitting, been using a neck nut tie as becauseof its just 'orrible size/personal fit, regardless its tone I don't play it much. I might try position 5 when I do, because it needs the neck to be pulled toward me to counteract the natural tendency of it to push away because of its body bulk battle with my arm length. Not something that presents as necessary with the balance and ergonomics of my other acoustics.

Also a suggestion I forgot. Practice on a piece of junk wood to build confidence and apply the 3P method of preparation, practice, perfect before attempting the actual installation. Lastly, before you drill, remember the age old adage of 'measure twice, cut once'. Take a couple of days to be sure where you want to place the button. The right place is where [u]you[/u] want it.

Cheers,

manXcat