overlooked guitarists

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/24/2002 8:02 pm
this is a thread for those guitarists who don't even get mentioned in the underrated guitarist threads. guitarists who never get mentioned among the best even though they deserve to be. what are you guys thoughts?

mine would probably have to be Michael Romeo. this guy is supremely talented and skilled. i saw him live and he just blew everybody away. he's never mentioned by anyone, which i now think is criminal.

also my list would have to include:
Kai Hansen
Marty Friedman
Jennifer Batten
Joe Stump
The Guy from Manowar, i can't remember his name
Luca Turilli
Uli Jon Roth
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/24/2002 8:57 pm

I think the most over-looked guitarist are the one's who don't shred 3 solo's in one song, but who are the one's that dare to try different things with the guitar. My pick (with just this moments thought) would have to be Tom Morello of Audioslave (ex-RageAgainsttheMachine). This guy is a genius with his creativity and playing style. Yeah, he using mostly effects to get those sounds, but who doesn't. I once saw Petrucci and his effects rack was almost as big as his amp.

Not bashing on any others, their playing style, or what they choose to do creative on the guitar. I just think guys/gals like Tom Morello deserve a tip of the hat.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
12/24/2002 10:17 pm
Man Petruccis probably got 1m$ in effects/amps/guitars stuff. But I like VaiĀ“s live sound more but that one is probably million bugs too.

But despite all those amazing expensive sounds stuff, I like Brian Mays sound Ā“cause itĀ“s so unique. Guitar sound should be like singers voice, evryone should have different but still lotĀ“s have same but Mays definitlly sticks out.

Morello is cool but somehow I donĀ“t find effect guitar players that good and talanted. Morello is maby a exception Ā“cause heĀ“s really good but thereĀ“s lot of other players that just mess Ā“round with effects and at last it turns to nothing special.

Finally there are probably at least 10.000 guitarplayers in the world that are as good our as fast like big guys but reason is that they donĀ“t play in Guns NĀ“ Roses, Dream Theater, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica...
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/24/2002 11:34 pm
Morello is a good guitarist.. well maybe not guitarist but a musician.
I loved ratm and audioslave seems to be good as well.
I think that many blues/ swing / fusion players are really underated.
Johhny Winter, Robben Ford, Brian Setzer and probably others i dont know/ cant remember never get the attention they should get.

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
12/24/2002 11:39 pm
Brian Setzer(Stray Cats)
Noel Gallagher(Oasis)
Mick Jones(Clash)
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
12/25/2002 10:33 am
I would add Nick McCabe from the Verve(former) because he uses fx in a very creative way.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/25/2002 11:14 pm
When talking about greatest guitarist, or best under-rated guitarist. It's 'usually' the lead guitarist, or the guy who does the solo that will get the most credit in most cases. Maybe I'm just a simple person, but being the person who writes the songs, singing and plays guitar is the guy who is under rated. Most of you who write your own songs will understand this. Writting songs is a skill in it's own which takes alot of talent, especially to make it BIG. Metallica as an example, Kirk Hammett is the most recognized and respected with guitar players. I mean he even has his own link of this particular site. Well where's Jame Hetfield in the discussion?? He writes most of the songs, but he gets less credit for what his skill is. It may just be me, but he is far under-rated compared to Hammett. I'm not saying Hammett isn't better at guitar, cause he is amazing but Hetfield is the unsung hero in my eyes. Even in the band, he is the most respected amongst the band members. I think that deserves something if your talking about under-rated guitarists. It is just my opinion and the guitar soloist deserves every amount of credit they get for their skill, but their is more too it than that. The guy, who writes the songs that achieve levels that every inspiring musician dreams about, has an amazing gift that usually goes unsaid by many.

I know this is not really what this particular discussion is about, It's over all guitarist who we think is under rated. It's just on this site, I find this point of view is rarely recognized or talked about.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 12-25-2002 at 05:19 PM]
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/26/2002 12:30 am
dude , dont you think youre the only one who thinks so around :)
Many guys can play fast (and frankly, when talking about hammet i find it hard to find something hiding behind the speed), but how many of them can actually WRITE songs, and not just throw up on the fretboard faster than some f-15 airplane?
Im not a big fan of metallica but i really do agree james hetfield is a good song writer and defenitly should get more credit for the stuff he does.

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/26/2002 4:26 am

hey thanx Zeppelin, I appreciate the support and I dont think I'm the only one. I just needed to say it, you know. Alot of songwriter's (guitarists) don't get the credit they deserve cause they are over-shadowed by soloist/lead guitarists. I also think alot of lead guitarists, especially the one with just speed, do miss the fundamentals that a make a good solo, a melody. The ear needs that to make sense to what the guy/gurl is playing. My favorite lead guitarists, far from under-rated, are guys like Slash, Brain May, and alot of blues guitar players. I think even shredders can learn alot from blues guitarist, alot of melody and emotion. Blah! im writting too much already, goodnight!
# 9
Seiko_Hejiro
Seiko_Hejiro
12/26/2002 7:12 am
Dudes,

Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel totally underrated.
Erik Rutan from Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal.
Jason Becker rules but is not terribly overlooked.
Marty Friedman kinda but not really.
Chris Poland off the early Megadeth albums and his solo stuff.
Ricky Kotzen, this dude is insane in everystyle. I remember reading a quote by Jason Becker one time about how he joined Butch Vig during a recording of one of Kotzen's albums and they jammed and he got "smoked."
hmm...cant think of too many other random metal and insane guitarists. Michale Romeo is definately overlooked for sure. Chris and Michael Amott of Arch Enemy are also overlooked a bit, as they are part of the newer meoldic death metal scene.

Meh that's my 10 cents...
# 10
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/26/2002 12:57 pm
Originally posted by zepp_rules

also my list would have to include:
Kai Hansen
Marty Friedman
Jennifer Batten
Joe Stump
The Guy from Manowar, i can't remember his name
Luca Turilli
Uli Jon Roth

yepp zeppo - but i would have to say that "the guy from manowar" (Carl Logan) is a big fraud. .. and i dunno joe stump *L*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 11
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/26/2002 5:20 pm
oh i also forgot..err, overlooked...vivian campbell. he's one of my favorites and i think he's very talented.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 12
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
12/26/2002 9:15 pm
Although he may be more poppy-edged, I think Ritchie Sambora is bar better than he gets credit for.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 13
N4Player
N4Player
12/27/2002 2:03 am
I think Steve Morse is probably the most overlooked guitarist of our time. Probably due to the fact that his stuff is mostly all instrumental. I started listening to him with the Dixie Dregs back in the 80's - tight band... I saw him play live with Kansas (when they were trying to make a comeback), which was real cool...Steve Morse and Kansas ! What a rip. I've heard talk that he and Petrucci were kicking the idea around of making some recordings together ...I can only hope.
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 14
trendkillah
trendkillah
12/27/2002 2:22 am
Me!

And Shawn Lane, Mattias IA Ekhlund, and probably about a milion players I've never heard of before.
# 15
icecool
icecool
12/27/2002 6:29 pm
totally Mattias IA Ekhlund
# 16
Devin11
Devin11
12/29/2002 5:31 am
bucket head
:) Metalica :)
# 17
Beal
Beal
12/29/2002 3:17 pm
Deron Miller from CKY is pretty good, i pretty much dig on every song hes written

James Hetfield fo sho

ima n00b to alot of the guys you peeps are naming so i got a short list

70's funk guitarists from random bands

Some good Guitarists in LTE

Lucca Turrelli is so Hot

Micheal J. Fox on Back to the Future, hahah

Not a Pro, Just like guitar
# 18
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
12/29/2002 3:19 pm
Collin James is really good.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 19
N4Player
N4Player
12/29/2002 7:01 pm
Josh - Collin James is cool, love his blues licks. I'll bet you're a Robben Ford fan also...
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.