Seem too be stuck

mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
02/23/2020 6:54 pm

I started playing electric guitatr about 5 yrs ago,(Lefty) when I was 53 yrs. old, so really has been a slow journey for me and being older my hands are a bit stiffer do too doing a job that is constant repetetive motion. I took some private lessons in the begining learned, strumming, D chord, then C, G ok now play songs with GCD and minor chords. I have practiced and played daily well not much sucess always wanted to play blues, well learned a few riffs, minor pent scale in A, bounced back and fourth on YouTube, bought amps and gutars and pedals, an endless rabbit hole, but fun and expensive, over that now, practic, practice.I have a Fender Strat and Tele and the Helix Floor , Power Cab and one small tube amp. I started GT's about 7 or 8 months ago from the begining in guitar fundimentals 2 now, power chords. I can play along with most of Lisa's songs which is awesome and Karen's beginners song Simple man which I love and a few other songs. I'm stuck when it comes too melodies and most rythms, been trying too learn B7 and F chord(stuck) and that is as far as i seem too get, trying too learn the Stones cant always get what you want, which should be easy.just cant seen too get past it., loving what I can do just want too be able too play more of a variety.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/23/2020 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

I'm stuck when it comes too melodies and most rythms, been trying too learn B7 and F chord(stuck) and that is as far as i seem too get, trying too learn the Stones cant always get what you want, which should be easy.just cant seen too get past it., loving what I can do just want too be able too play more of a variety.

Just curious if you are saying you are stuck on the B7 and F because you can't get the hang of them and don't want to move on or you are stuck because you can't find the motivation to move on?

If it's the former, I would suggest moving on. You can always circle back. On the Stones, are you doing the "made easy" version, or the full version? If you notice in my sig line, I have Honkey Tonk made easy down, but I am still working on the full verison. And trust me, I've been at it a while! But I am in no hurry. I will get it at some point. Until then, I keep moving forward and enjoying what I do learn.

Edit: Regarding the blues. In the little more than a year that I have been learing the guitar, I have found that I like to dabble in many genres, but I really need to focus on 1 - which happens to be the blues. Like any genre there is a lot to study, but I maintain my focus because of my interest in the music, it's history and it's influence on the music I grew up with.

I don't use GT for this. I use another online course. GT is great for learning songs and helping us get started, and the instructor feedback is top notch which is why I have a membership in both. But if you want to learn the blues and the way the "Kings" played it (Albert, Freddie, BB) ... maybe you should take a deep dive.

https://www.learningguitarnow.com/

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
02/24/2020 5:55 pm

Thank you. I am playing the simple version of can't always get what you want, I do have the motivation too move on, I can make and play the chords , F and B7, it's moving between F and C, B7 and A. I want too move on, but when I come back too it later, it's starting all over again. Thank you for your help. I will master it in time.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/24/2020 7:16 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

Thank you. I am playing the simple version of can't always get what you want, I do have the motivation too move on, I can make and play the chords , F and B7, it's moving between F and C, B7 and A. I want too move on, but when I come back too it later, it's starting all over again. Thank you for your help. I will master it in time.

Sorry if I'm repeating this for some but; go slowly. Not up to speed. When you feel difficulty going between chords, you're just not comfortable enough with the changes.

Obvious? Sure.

I've been playing since 81/82 and I can hold my own. I also have things that I need to practice. Riffs that I want to improve upon. Even seemingly simple riffs.

The singular most important tool is to slow it down. It may seem almost like drudgery to do chord changes really slow but you're trying to become comfortable with the movement. Slowing down will do that for you.

You're trying to train your fingers to do somnething they've never done before.

My wife is getting her first guitar lesson today (not from me...a good objective teacher makes sense for her). However, she grabbed her guitar and tried to do a chord I was showing her. She was struggling. She's never played before, really. She was all like 'I'm terrible and I'll never be able to do it.' It was pretty much her first time trying!!!!

I said to her; do you think the first time Patriots QB threw a football, that is was a perfect throw? (points to her; she replied 'Was the ball deflated or not?' If you're American, that was comedy gold!) Still, she got the point. For whatever reason, people think that they should progress more quickly and be more natural than is actually normal.

Take your time and get the changes as a slow speed. Don't be in too much of a hurry to play the song up to speed.Get the raw tools and then move on.

Remember, I've been playing for decades and I regularly do it.

# 4
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
02/24/2020 10:14 pm

Thank you so much. So great too hear from someone with such great insight that has played for many years. I look back and can remember when I struggled with A and C chords and many others. How did I learn? By slowing down, repetition and not giving up, repeat !!! I tend too get expectations. Thank you.

# 5
Mr.D.Bugh
Mr.D.Bugh
02/25/2020 2:59 am

When a chord is too difficult to get the fingering correct without missing the beat I will often just play 2 or 3 strings of the chord. For instance your B7, leave your pinky out of it and only strum the A,D,G and B strings. Sounds good enough to get you by. Also try changing those tricky barre chords to power chords.

# 6
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
02/25/2020 9:55 am

Thank you. Will give it a go.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.