legato tip

BarHook
BarHook
11/10/2002 7:04 pm
I stumped on legato, Ive been practising it for a while now and i still have a while to go before it even sounds like proper legato, myy hands seize up halfway through a long lick. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
thanx alot
You are only free to do anything,
Once you've lost everything.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/10/2002 9:42 pm
Legato is simply a matter of fretting a new note while the string is still vibrating from the last note. This process gets helped along by some timely hammer-on and pull-off action. You may need to use your pick each time you move from one string to the next one, but the hammer'n'pull technique should cover most of what you do.

For practice, fret a note with your index finger and hammer'n'pull the note one fret up with your middle finger. When you can keep that trill going for as long as you want to, hammer-on the next note up with your ring finger, pulling off to the index finger, pulling off to your index, and then hammering your way back up again. Then add the next note up, played with your pinky. When you've got that down, you can add jumps to other strings.

As with any new technique, you have to start with a small step, and progress further when you can play that step accurately. Forget about being fast. By the time you're good you'll also be fast.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
BarHook
BarHook
11/10/2002 9:45 pm
thanx for that, nething else
You are only free to do anything,
Once you've lost everything.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/10/2002 9:52 pm
If your hands are 'seizing up', you're probably pushing too hard. Slow down, make it smooth, and if your hand starts to tighten up, stop before it gets painful. Doing something again'n'again'n'again is the definition of the cause of Repetitive Stress Injury. You [u]don't[/u] want that!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
u10ajf
u10ajf
11/10/2002 10:00 pm
Try four note/string legatos (I'm talking non-chromatic runs so big stretches here). Yes they are a bitch from hell. I hate them but they're a great work out.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 5
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/11/2002 1:35 pm
One important thing to keep in mind while practicing legatos is not to waste your energy...
Don't pull or hammer so hard, and try to free your fingers from any tensions...

There's a point that if you hammered harder after it, you won't get a louder legato and same for pulling.. so anything stronger than this point will be a waste of energy, and will affect your speed in the future badly.
# 6
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
11/11/2002 9:16 pm
I'm also having trouble with legatos -- the notes I hammer/pull are way more quiet than the one that I pick and actually when I play three notes per string to prictice I get pretty bad dynamics.
What should I do, it seems that I can't get the legato notes enough loud.

The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 7
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/12/2002 12:47 pm
Originally posted by Slow Diver
...What should I do, it seems that I can't get the legato notes enough loud.

You just need to develope some strength in your fretting hands fingers... try trilling with each pair of your fingers individualy.
i.e. (index & middle) , (index & ring) , (ring & pinky) , etc.

Also keep in mind not to waste energy.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.