Studio Musicians

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/06/2002 3:31 pm
I was wondering who of you has already been in a recording studio - either once or on a regular basis as studiomusician.

i personally am recording stuff in studio on a regular basis for various bands and artists. i still remember my first studio experience. i came in, sat down with the guitar and the dude said: "lets start!"

he played a song consisting of drums, vocals, bass and keyboards and said: "now you play something with the guitar - we need a rythm part here and here, and maybe a small solo here - go ahead". i was like "WTF??? ive never heard this song before - what shall i play?" (didnt say that - only thought it)

so i had to come up with more or less a whole song spontaneously, which was everything but easy.

that was a while back - now i´m doing that sort of thing on a regular basis and i´ve become quite good at it - so i consider myself a studio musician. this kind of work has heped me alot and imroved my ability to play and improvise, no matter what sort of style that song might be.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/06/2002 7:26 pm
Never been in a real studio but I have recorded 2 demos and 2 cover demos so far. The first one when I was 17 and the last one when I was 19 wich is our latest demo.

I guess real studio is pretty fun but on the other hand not ´cause of the pressure and stress as long as you´re not Metallica who can afford 2 yrs. of studio time.

But I´m lookin´ forward to real studio sessions if I ever made it so far. However I rather prefer world tours than just sit in studio and record music for others. But actally both would be good it´s just that when you are a studio musican, you gotta good and allround. It would be nice to record somthing with B. Spears. Not hard but hell of a good time.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 2
MANA EX
MANA EX
11/06/2002 8:31 pm
ah studio! I love the studio!

I am a student, and one of my courses is spent in a recording studio! which rocks, except all the other guitarists at my college are weak! so I kinda have to record myself which is never easy!

I like the fact I am a student in a studio rather than paying for the time, because it gives me time to just experiment with all the stuff and learn so much more than what some of the buttons do etc!

I definately want to do this for a living!
MANA EX<
# 3
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/06/2002 10:43 pm
It´s cool when you got time to experiment in studio but unfortunatly, most unfamous folks that step in studio step out pretty fast ´cause of money. It´s to damn expensive so most of them don´t get much time over to experiment wich is sad.

Some people like recording in a studio alone but I really don´t. I always want to have my band members along so that they can help me to judge if the stuff I´ve just recorded is ok our not. And to press rec button too of course. I´m not that good at those stuff so I might just press delete instead of rec, wouldn´t suprise me at all especially when being recording for 3 straight hours.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/07/2002 12:19 am
Yep, went there, broke things, got embarrass, leant from my mistakes.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/07/2002 6:43 am
I've never been in one,but I've always wanted to.And now I'm thinking my failing exama and having to repeat a class was a blessing in disguise,coz I met this guy who's in the room next to mine who's a year behind me and knows a host of studio owners ans is friends with a couple of producers and stuff.He's recorded some of his stuff and is working on it right now,and thro' him now I'll be able to get to these placecs I wouldn't have known how to go about getting in them.Plus,he'd like tp pursue a career in music.And so would I.His frriend is a haste in drums,and is learning bass.The three of us are still learners,and I'm thinking of asking us to start a band(we're more or less on the same skill level,and I'm sure forming a band would put in quite an impetus to our learning curves).
And when we finally get to the stage we're recording demos and stuff,studio's won't be a problem.
Suddenly my guitar future is beginning to look up;)
Didn't mean to divert your thread,Azrael.
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/07/2002 8:44 am
Originally posted by kingdavid
And when we finally get to the stage we're recording demos and stuff,studio's won't be a problem.

Dont take it too easy - i too have connections and i get in some studios for free, but it is damn hard if you have never recorded a thing before. my very first recording sessions (not in a studio) where horrible - it is extremely difficult when you are in a recording situation. when the red light flashes you´ll even miss the easiest parts - its comes with time and experience that you just walk in and BAM - first take fits!

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
trendkillah
trendkillah
11/07/2002 9:41 am
I've only recorded in a studio myself once. At least, it was a 2-day recording session for a band I used to play in.
I've spent a lot of time in studios recording other bands though, as an engineer. Hoping to land a job in one of those places in the future.

# 8
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/07/2002 12:41 pm
The feelin´ when evrything is done is amazing. I alwas feel before goin´ into studio that this will never work but I now I know that it will. I recorded only 4 times and all rady feel that I´m pretty good at it. Imagine after 20 times, it will feel llike a practice session our somthing. Recording is a big thing for me ´cause I don´t do that often.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 9
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/07/2002 1:25 pm
Originally posted by Dejan Sajinovic
Imagine after 20 times, it will feel llike a practice session our somthing.

actually its more like "what will await me today? will it be cool? what ideas will i have today?" - the fear of the first sessions changes into curiousity and anticipation. like a warrior that prepares for another fight *LOL*

# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/07/2002 6:52 pm
Live Raskolnikov > Studio Raskolnikov

Maybe it's because I've only been in the studio couple of times, but not being on stage or practicing with the band has great detrimental effects on my playing.

Any suggestions outside of "relax?"
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/07/2002 8:47 pm
I'm always amazed at how little most engineers know about getting good guitar sounds, maybe cause most engineers I've encountered have been keyboard players.
The one thing I've found out is that the electric guitar is like no other instrument in the studio, and what works for other instruments (bass, drums, voice) does not work for the electric guitar. Here's some tips I've learned, unfortunately the hard way.

1)NEVER record direct, always insist on being recorded w/a microphone through an amp.
2)when recording solo parts never place the amplifier in a isolation both. This is fine for rhytm tracks but solo's will come out sounding like your playing in a closet.
3) Avoid using low end floor board multi effect processors, they create a lot of hum that cannot be filtered out through the mixing board.
4)Get the tone you want out of your amplifier before you start recording, don't rely on amp simulator plug ins during mix down. No matter what the engineer tells you, if you don't like the sound your hearing during the recording process fix it, becuase only so much can be done to alter the sound once its been recorded.
5) Educate yourself as much as possible before going into the studio, engineers are often lazy and will often tell you they can't do this or that and your gonna just have to live with it just because they don't want too. Beware of engineers who will prolong the process just to get more money out of you.
# 12
trendkillah
trendkillah
11/07/2002 9:06 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
I'm always amazed at how little most engineers know about getting good guitar sounds.

Well, a lot of guitarists don't know how to get a decent tone out of their gear either. At least, that's been my experience. So, it goes both ways I think. ;)

I'm lucky to have a perspective from both sides, but it seems like engineers and musicians just don't understand eachother sometimes. Which doesn't have a good effect on the final result.
# 13
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/07/2002 9:57 pm
*L* well - chris has obviously had some bad experiences. the advantage i personally have is a free access to alot of studios in my area and in vienna, and when i record for someone i get payed. i am very lucky to have one of the best producers here that i can imagine. his feel for sound and mix is absolutely unique!

and as for the recording.. i mostly record directly into the mixer without an amp attached - and so does my producer - and hell - you have to hear some of his tunes!
he´s the only guitarist i´ve heard so far that can make his guitar sing and wheep like Jeff Beck (and no - he does not copy him - he sounds different). He uses a Digitech RP7 for recording, and i use a ART SGX 2000 Express.

Here´s a lil sample of one of the recordings of this exceptional guitarist called "Timelight" - now thats what i call excellent play! (its worth the download!!!!)

Timelight

if you have a good effectsboard you can of course get excellent results.

and btw.. a hammond organ has almost the same characteristics as a guitar ;)

# 14
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/07/2002 10:46 pm
I heard that John Petrucci when recording solos devides it in parts and than record it. It seems pretty easy but is it somthing to recomend for others. However it can be good especially when you have to record a long difficult part our solo but I don´t know if the solo loses the right feel than. What do you think about it. It seems to work pretty damn well for Petrucci.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/08/2002 6:56 am
thatz quite normal in studio work, especially when you record improvised solos and riffs - you make say 15 takes and it getsmerged from the best parts of each take. there´s no shame about that - the recording has to be excellent. live, you are allowed to make mistakes

# 16
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/08/2002 11:00 am
But I bet that you must have some great tools to make it work. Still, it sounds like a good idea.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 17
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/08/2002 1:20 pm
Logic Audio Platinum 5.3 running on a Mac G4 with double processors. ;)

# 18
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/08/2002 3:53 pm
digital editing is a blessed relief for studio musicians!!
# 19
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/08/2002 10:42 pm
Most musicians think "oh well - in studio it doesnt matter if i´m not THAT precise - and i dont have to care about my sound - the engenieer can fix that all on the computer."

... well.. even digital editing cannot turn sh*t into gold.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.