View post (Studio Musicians)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/07/2002 8:47 pm
I'm always amazed at how little most engineers know about getting good guitar sounds, maybe cause most engineers I've encountered have been keyboard players.
The one thing I've found out is that the electric guitar is like no other instrument in the studio, and what works for other instruments (bass, drums, voice) does not work for the electric guitar. Here's some tips I've learned, unfortunately the hard way.

1)NEVER record direct, always insist on being recorded w/a microphone through an amp.
2)when recording solo parts never place the amplifier in a isolation both. This is fine for rhytm tracks but solo's will come out sounding like your playing in a closet.
3) Avoid using low end floor board multi effect processors, they create a lot of hum that cannot be filtered out through the mixing board.
4)Get the tone you want out of your amplifier before you start recording, don't rely on amp simulator plug ins during mix down. No matter what the engineer tells you, if you don't like the sound your hearing during the recording process fix it, becuase only so much can be done to alter the sound once its been recorded.
5) Educate yourself as much as possible before going into the studio, engineers are often lazy and will often tell you they can't do this or that and your gonna just have to live with it just because they don't want too. Beware of engineers who will prolong the process just to get more money out of you.