Choosing a career!!!

rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/02/2002 10:53 pm
my mom wants me to be an educated lawyer and my dad wants me to be an accountant.

I say screw that Im going to be a musician for my career! Or else a TEACHER!

Am I wrong and should I be a lawyer /accountant. I wouldnt mind persuing music and living in a small quiet apartment for my whole life.....

I have my university funds and college **** to get me into a good education.....I would be getting a degree on teaching and fine arts.....although Id rather be a musician. If being a musician dont work than Ill be a teacher and make some $$ and just do guitar for spare time things....Id rather make Guitar my full time job!

What should I do?!

# 1
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/03/2002 12:04 am
if you got the funds, might as well go to college to be a teacher, then after college just be a musician, if it doesnt work out for you, you always have that college degree.
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/03/2002 12:56 am

Go for the gusto, dude. Screw that lawyer/accountant crap. Sure, you can make a lot of money, but what's the point if you hate what you're doing??? Lawyers are leeches, leeching off other people's misfortune. And accountants . . . well, pushing little meaningless numbers around is a fate worse that death. So grab that ax, and rock on!

(disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for your actions concerning these comments, and these comments/opinions do not necessarily reflect those of guitartricks.com.)

# 3
rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/03/2002 2:04 am
ALRIGHT

music it is than!
# 4
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
10/03/2002 2:06 am
Teaching doesn't pay much, if you were getting that idea. You could probably work the night shift at home depot, and get paid more. Not that money is everything, but those are my thoughts. The only teaching job that pay is to be a profesor, and thats just because you'll end up writing expensive ass text books which aren't worth the paper they are written on. Stupid opinionated bastards.
Also, I don't think any of us need to tell you that it doesn't amount to **** what your parents want you to do... unless they're affluently supplying you funds.
Now you all can tell me that I am wrong, and that would be the typical way things work. I will now go do my english homework about a LAWYER name Aticus... even though a non-fiction character... ya now I'm babbling read to kill a mocking bird and you migh change your preception of lawyers. We are all leeches do not fool (I almost put full ha)yourself.

# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/03/2002 2:43 am
haha, you are well misinformed. Where i live, Wisconsin, just about any teacher over the age of 25 or 26 gets $40,000 to $50,000 dollars annually, as well as 3 months off during the summer, full state pension, an awesome insurance package, and when they retire they get 10 years full life/medical insurance. Bottom line? Teachers have it made.
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
10/03/2002 2:49 am
I'm not misinformed... 40 to 50 isn't **** if you have a family. In Virginia it's from 20-40. Lawyers have it made, doctors have it made, accountants have it made, a lot of people have it made but not teachers. No one who teaches does it for the money.

# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/03/2002 3:18 am
who says he has/wants a family? if your pulling down $50,000 and you are a single guy, i'd say your livin pretty nicely (considering your not living in L.A or new york).
Yeah, I expected to hear that, most southern states cost of living is crap, and therefore wages are crap.
# 8
rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/03/2002 3:36 am
thats right I plan on having no wife or GF until I atleast get my own apartment. Having GF will REALLY slow me down and Im sure many people will agree. And I want money for myself and not a family

40 000- 50 000$$ a year is great money and since your in the states and Im in canada that like 70 000$$ canadain.

Incidents Happen has a good point....why would I be a lawyer if I hate what Im doing. I dont wanna sit in an air tight office being stressed and yelling all the time. I dont wanna be docter cause I dont wanna kill things and I dont wanna be sitting in a stuffy room pushing buttons and screwing with math. Id rather be jamming at night with my friends and just partying and doing pot. I dont wanna be a dad cause Id rather be lonely and just Guitaring all day than having to watch over a kid and get stressed out all the time.

There isnt much point being something I dont wanna be I wanna be a musician and be poor but its what I wanna do. Besides being a docter, lawyer, or accountant will take up WAYYYYYYYY to much time and I cant do much gigs or play guitar often.

I never knew that teachers made that much!

[Edited by rockinfreak09 on 10-02-2002 at 10:49 PM]
# 9
rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/03/2002 3:55 am
money and videogames is a second worry....I dont need money I just need a job that I like. When your a musician you blow ALL your money on guitars, drum sets, and pianos!

Musician quote:
Music and enjoyment live first, money is second
# 10
trendkillah
trendkillah
10/03/2002 8:32 am
I'd say(if you have a brain, and can make a well thought-through decision), do whatever you damn well please! ;)

Seriously though, you have to do what's most important to you. If you think you can pull off being a professional musician, go for it!

# 11
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
10/03/2002 10:29 am
Well... do what you want, of course, but...

Being a lawyer doesn't have to mean being the spawn of Satan. Pick an area of law where you're going to spend the majority of your time helping people. In the UK, when you buy a house you need a solicitor to do the "conveyancing". It's pretty simple stuff; checking contracts, doing registry searches and so on, but it pays well and you're actually providing a useful service.

I would imagine that there's something similar in most countries; law that helps people. No litigation, no criminal cases, just procedural things. Worth a look.

I'm an AV engineer; I work on huge video conference and presentation systems for big internationals. It's hardly a shildhood dream job, but:

a) It pays nicely.
b) I start at 8.30 and finish at 5, every day.
c) I have plenty of free time at work, when I can do (within reason) what I want.

That's not a bad job for someone who wants to play guitar a lot. I have evenings and weekends, and I can spend them playing - or shopping for all the new gear I can afford.

Why not consider music your career, but also have a job that pays ok, doesn't suck up all your time and keeps your brain working?
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 12
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
10/03/2002 1:11 pm
Just tell Mom and Dad that you can't make up your mind between being a teacher or a musican and that you would like their advice, I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to help you get that teaching degree. Your parents want the best for you, but your education is an investment in your future, and it should prepare you for something you can see yourself doing, hopefully something you have a passion to do, and if teaching doesn't work out for you, you can still become a big superstar musican like Sting, I still want to be a cowboy when I grow up...............
# 13
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/03/2002 2:34 pm
Well, most people try to go into law because they are passionate about it and because they want to help... well a lot do anyway. The legal system may be screwed, but a world in which there aren't trained people to represent you in a court would suck. It's already pretty bad, because the big companies can afford better lawyers who know the loopholes better than those who act for the little guys. Oh well. Teaching is not something you should do for the money. Too many **** teachers make being a student seem **** without adding one more. If you care about teaching, and you like the idea of helping others learn, then go for it.
Of course, you do realise that the middle ground is quite good. That is, teach music! I reckon the best thing an aspiring musician can do is to study to become a good music teacher, cause that's the best way of earning an income a lot of the time from music, and if you want to teach, what better than to teach what you love?

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 14
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/03/2002 4:41 pm
Originally posted by rockinfreak09
Incidents Happen has a good point....why would I be a lawyer if I hate what Im doing.

Heh . . . I said that first. When your life bombs out and you're living in a crappy one room apartment, working at Home Depot to pay the rent, I at least want to have credit. :D

By the way, lawyers are indeed leeches. Whenever you have a problem they come swooping in with their briefcases to help defend you in court . . . from some other sap who's lawyer convinced him to sue you. See a pattern here?

# 15
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/03/2002 9:03 pm

"They don't get jobs . . ." LOL.

Interior design, huh? . . . maybe you can go on that show Trading Spaces.

# 16
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/03/2002 10:06 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne

Incidents, my dad is the head of the english department of one of the most wealthy school districts in the US, and he makes $50,000. Not bad if you're single. But to get a job like that, you've got to go to school quite a bit. So my dad has bills from Yale, Harvard, the University of Washington and Seattle University to pay off, plus my mom's Seattle U bills, and teachers get the WORST benefiets package in the career field, meaning that every year they pay for at least half to 3/4 of their medical per year out of their own pocket. If teaching was such a great profession, a lot of the bad stuff that happened to me throughout my life wouldn't have happened. And have you ever stepped into a public school?

Wisconsin??? Yippie skippy, I'm going to pack my bags and run off to the cheese capital of the US... i can't contain my excitement.... BLLLLAR!!!!! Oh man, I just wet my pants.....

every ****ing thing i say, you tear it apart. its like you can't take any legitimicy in any of my posts. sheesh.
# 17
rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/03/2002 11:02 pm
Originally posted by Bardsley
If you care about teaching, and you like the idea of helping others learn, then go for it.
Of course, you do realise that the middle ground is quite good. That is, teach music

Id love to do that but the only instrument I can do is Guitar and a touch of Electric bass. For that teaching you probably might wanna learn piano or clarinet. But a Guitar teacher is fine.

To Christoph: Sorry about that I got a little confused!

To PonyOne: I thought you just needed a University or College degree in teaching :P and the teachers get 3 months off work per year thats pretty great. Remember! Money is a second chore.....I mean Im probably going to be renting an apartment for my whole life so why bother with $$
# 18
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
10/04/2002 3:34 am
Hmm... don't dis home depot man *blinks*. What am I talking about I hate that store witha passion. I like the music teacher idea, but I don't see how you get paid much for that unless you charge a lot and give many lessons. Maybe I should do the math, and not make an uneducated guess. Maybe pony will "tear up this post"... maybe no one will pay attention.

# 19
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/04/2002 6:52 am

Heh . . . when Pony is on the warpath, anyone is game. IH just happened to be in the way.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.