View post (Choosing a career!!!)

View thread

dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
10/03/2002 10:29 am
Well... do what you want, of course, but...

Being a lawyer doesn't have to mean being the spawn of Satan. Pick an area of law where you're going to spend the majority of your time helping people. In the UK, when you buy a house you need a solicitor to do the "conveyancing". It's pretty simple stuff; checking contracts, doing registry searches and so on, but it pays well and you're actually providing a useful service.

I would imagine that there's something similar in most countries; law that helps people. No litigation, no criminal cases, just procedural things. Worth a look.

I'm an AV engineer; I work on huge video conference and presentation systems for big internationals. It's hardly a shildhood dream job, but:

a) It pays nicely.
b) I start at 8.30 and finish at 5, every day.
c) I have plenty of free time at work, when I can do (within reason) what I want.

That's not a bad job for someone who wants to play guitar a lot. I have evenings and weekends, and I can spend them playing - or shopping for all the new gear I can afford.

Why not consider music your career, but also have a job that pays ok, doesn't suck up all your time and keeps your brain working?
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.