Your Favorite Guitarist?

robz0082
robz0082
03/01/2006 10:11 pm
Right now...Slash...I love the way he puts solos together. I like well crafted solos. David Gilmour got me into the guitar. Gotta love Santana, too.
# 1
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
03/09/2006 8:06 pm
Just because he is cool as Ice and play anything at any speed. :cool:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 2
timgibson
timgibson
03/13/2006 4:13 pm
Rusty Cooley, George Bellas, Jason Becker, Tom Hess, Michael Romeo, and Greg Howe are my favorite guitar players. Santana inspired me to play guitar.
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/13/2006 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusWhat happened to Syd? Is he still alive?

Yeah, apparently he lives with his mother. I heard that after his whole breakdown thing, he apparently either just sits and watches tv or paints all day. That's it. Of course, this is all just speculation, because no one's really seen him in decades.
# 4
leetyguy
leetyguy
03/13/2006 11:26 pm
finally somebody rcognizes ritchie sambora for how great he is. so you all probaly no about what i said about everything concerning axl rose and i apologize but that sort of of the point. so another favorite of mine is slash hes amazing even though hes not the only guitar player in gnr he still out played everyone else. ritchie and slash rock
i fur goin through hell, keep goin. :D
# 5
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/14/2006 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEcan play anything at any speed. :cool:

Except good music :rolleyes:
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 6
Rsam16
Rsam16
03/14/2006 3:46 am
I don't even have to say ;)
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/14/2006 4:46 am
What inspired me to play was whatever guitarist Manson used for his song "sweet Dreams." Its that particular song that made be actually find out how to tune the guitar and try to play my first tab. But after I got more into it I discovered more greats.

Top 5 in no order:
- Tom Morello
- Hendrix
- Alexi Lahio
- Vai
- Dimebag (even though I didn't know abot him untill the March 05 issue of gw :( )
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/14/2006 6:53 am
Originally Posted by: elklandercc
- Tom Morello

Tom inspired me to play as well. Rage's debut was one of the first real rock albums I ever listened to.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
kevdougwat
kevdougwat
03/17/2006 8:56 pm
Back in the 60's (yeah, yeah...another old fart) my parents took me to see Chet Atkins....nothing like hearing/seeing the best for inspiration when your a kid....so that's how I got started...been playing mostly fingerstyle for somewhere around 40 yrs or so. But after Chet came.. so did many others for inpiration....George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Santana, Stevie Ray, Satriani, Vai,Malmsteen, to Leo Kottke, Bruce Coburn, Lightfoot, to Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Tony Mottola, Wes Montgomery, and Julian Bream, Liona Boyd, Segovia, Montoya...or my favorites of today...Don Ross, Martin Taylor, and John Standefer. I used to complain to all my guitar teacher's about having so many genre's to pick from...and that I loved *all* of them. Finally one smart teacher talked to me about how that is a *good* thing for a kid to listen to....*all* different kinds of guitar music. And I agreed. It's helped me immensly
in being able to play all kinds of music. I wish I had been able to turn it into a career, but wife/kids/home and a steady paycheck took precedence. Maybe someday......
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen to the music play.....
# 10
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/18/2007 8:42 am
So I'm reading my music theory book today and it mentions that there is this guy called Stanley Jordan who does "chordal tapping".. So I wanted to hear this for myself and I found the piece of music, mentioned in the book, on YouTube. Since it is such a great technique that I don't see much at all, I thought I would share it with you all..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

There are other people who do this Chordal Tapping thing too of course but none quite like this guy, except for may be Andy McKee but he a little different again and plays acoustic rather than electric... The way Stanley plays towards the tail end of this long 9 minute piece, it's almost as if he is playing a different instrument.. such as a piano.. You'll see what I mean.. as an added bonus this piece is a cover song of a very popular guitar song, Stairway to Heaven. Enjoy!

Oh.. might as well post an Andy McKee YouTube video as well for comparison..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbSvsIVTwQ
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/18/2007 12:45 pm
This old thread again! Well my favourites change with the wind, currently I like:

1) Jason Becker (my main inspiration, changed the way I play and write music)
2) Vinnie Moore (this guy is incredible)
3) Marty Friedman (the older solo stuff and Rust in Peace)
4) David Valdes (this guy is amazing - so melodic and well structured)
5) John Petrucci (work on Liquid Tension Experiment - was dissapointed with his latest solo album...)
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/19/2007 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanThis old thread again!

Dude, I was here when it started!

/time flies...
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
la'guit
la'guit
10/21/2007 9:01 pm
Jimi Hendrix (my idol)
Jake, The fender king :cool:
# 14
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/21/2007 10:20 pm
Originally Posted by: light487So I'm reading my music theory book today and it mentions that there is this guy called Stanley Jordan who does "chordal tapping".. [/quote]
I saw Jordan in a little theatre in St. Louis (200 people max.) right after he had his first major label release (mid 1980s). Brilliant player! It was my first live introduction to idea that a guitarist could really play the entire song. It was very inspiring to hear so much beautiful music, all from one guy on one guitar, just up there by himself.

I never did enjoy his covers of pop or rock tunes as much. I personally prefer his more straight ahead jazz work.
[QUOTE=light487]
Since it is such a great technique that I don't see much at all ...

GT's very own Hanspeter Kruesi (HP Crazy) does all that stuff. And very well. Check him out here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=193
http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=223230
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 15
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/27/2007 2:16 am
Yeh I've since had a look at his tutorials.. amazing stuff.. way beyond my tapping capabilities at this point.. I'm not sure whether I want to spend 3 to 6 months devoted to a single style just to get nearly good enough to begin that "touch tapping" technique. I'm finding it increasingly easier to realise that I am never going to be able to learn every possible style of guitar that I like... there's just too many styles and years (even decades) of practise involved in each.. *sigh*..

A style that I would most love to get down once and for all.. is more of a expression, slow, melodic, "with feeling" sorta style. Here's an example:

Deep Purple (Steve Morse) - Total Abandon Tour 1999 - Sometimes I Fell Like Screaming

I was not at that concert, wish I was.. but I have been at every other concert they have done here in Australia. Deep Purple with Steve Morse as the guitarist, just sound so refined to me.. I've listened to Richie Blackmore stuff and while I appreciate it, I don't find it as appealing..

Anyway, other famous guitarists who play similar styles I like are Carlos Santana, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton.. heck even Hendrix played some nice slow-hand stuff, not surprisingly since one of Hendrix's idols was Clapton..

I really struggle with creating nice melodies.. I'm getting better at it but as I come up with a melody, I think to myself.. "This makes me think of that...song." .. that is.. it reminds me of other music by other artists.. not that I meant it to.. it just sorta ended up like that.. then I feel that I shouldn't use that because I am obviously taking bits of melodies from other artists and putting them into my own solos and songs..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 16
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
11/01/2007 1:37 am
Man... not even the "best" and I hate saying that in the same sentence as guitarist anyways, but Jonny Lang was someone I recently stumbled upon. For someone with an absolutely flawless voice like his, he's not too shabby at guitar either. Just a thought. "Red Light" is a great tune BTW. :rolleyes:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 17
MaxVolume
MaxVolume
11/13/2007 4:32 pm
My ALL TIME favorite guitarist is Stevie Ray Vaughan. The guy was a Guitar God.

My lineup:
Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Carlos Santana, B.B. King, Albert King,
Rock - Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Van Halen, Nikki Sixx, Carlos Santana, Steve Vai, Angus Young, John Petrucci
Acoustic - Andy McKee, James Taylor
Jazz - Larry Carlton
Bluegrass - Keb' Mo'
GUITARS:
~2004 USA Stratocaster
~Kram Telecaster Copy
~No Brand Acoustic
~Hondo Les Paul
~Ibanez AW40(Hoping to acquire as a Christmas present. If not, I'll buy one myself.)

AMPS:
~Crate KBA-10
~Line 6 Spyder
# 18
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
11/14/2007 10:06 pm
It is hard to say.... there are so many greats out there..... From Brian May, to Jimmy Page....... to Slash...... I might have to go with slash.
# 19
Badge
Badge
11/16/2007 2:35 am
I have so many favorites! EC, SRV, Hendrix, Bonamassa, Duane, the list goes on and continues!!!

http://www.fenderpick.com
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.