View post (Your Favorite Guitarist?)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/27/2007 2:16 am
Yeh I've since had a look at his tutorials.. amazing stuff.. way beyond my tapping capabilities at this point.. I'm not sure whether I want to spend 3 to 6 months devoted to a single style just to get nearly good enough to begin that "touch tapping" technique. I'm finding it increasingly easier to realise that I am never going to be able to learn every possible style of guitar that I like... there's just too many styles and years (even decades) of practise involved in each.. *sigh*..

A style that I would most love to get down once and for all.. is more of a expression, slow, melodic, "with feeling" sorta style. Here's an example:

Deep Purple (Steve Morse) - Total Abandon Tour 1999 - Sometimes I Fell Like Screaming

I was not at that concert, wish I was.. but I have been at every other concert they have done here in Australia. Deep Purple with Steve Morse as the guitarist, just sound so refined to me.. I've listened to Richie Blackmore stuff and while I appreciate it, I don't find it as appealing..

Anyway, other famous guitarists who play similar styles I like are Carlos Santana, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton.. heck even Hendrix played some nice slow-hand stuff, not surprisingly since one of Hendrix's idols was Clapton..

I really struggle with creating nice melodies.. I'm getting better at it but as I come up with a melody, I think to myself.. "This makes me think of that...song." .. that is.. it reminds me of other music by other artists.. not that I meant it to.. it just sorta ended up like that.. then I feel that I shouldn't use that because I am obviously taking bits of melodies from other artists and putting them into my own solos and songs..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog