Artificial harmonics?

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/02/2002 9:22 pm
Hey...
Can somebody please help me with artificial harmonics. Mine sound bad...or rather like palm muting.
Any excersizes or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
Kirk Hammett worshiper
Kirk Hammett worshiper
09/08/2002 7:43 pm
Practice.

That's all.
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it can get pretty crappy these days.
# 2
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/08/2002 9:08 pm
Boy, is this Deja Vouse or what.
Andrew, if you'd like, I can e mail you some demonstrations and excercises that should clear up your troubles.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/09/2002 1:45 am
if you mean the pinch harmonic (adding thumb to pick attack) , you should try different picking spots (some will work , other won't) , memorize them by their position from your pickups... (there are theories for this, changing the pitch of the harmonic and stuff like that, but having the pickups as your landmarks is the easiest way of learning them)

actualy the word artificial harmonics has a lot of meanings , so if what I explained isn't what you want , check out the artificial harmonics link at Guitar tricks home page, it will help.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/09/2002 10:02 am
try these....
http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/trick.php?trick_id=4227&s_id=35
# 5
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
09/12/2002 11:57 am
You should listen to Zakk Wylde. HeĀ“s the best when it comes to A.H.

But I think it depends on how much distortion you got. My amp distortion really suck but when I put on wah, I can get an A.H. whenever I want.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/12/2002 3:06 pm
Dimebag is a great A.H. abuser too !
# 7
servinservant
servinservant
09/13/2002 5:38 am
I got heaps clear and high pitched pinchys using a really really thin pick
# 8
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/13/2002 10:27 pm
I should (yet again) point out that pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are not the same thing. Im getting tired of saying it.
Anyway, back to the subject. Andrew, I know I've tried explaining this to you before over the forums, but thats not the best way to explain guitar technique.
If you have any more troubles, I'll send you some real basic, simple explanations over e mail. That would be better than trying to explain this over the web.
-And it was good
# 9
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/14/2002 4:51 pm
Originally posted by Josh Redstone
I should (yet again) point out that pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are not the same thing. Im getting tired of saying it.

I don't know why do some people hate to hear others calling pinch harmonics as artificial harmonics...
Natural Harmonics are those standard harmonics that we found on the frettboard, Artificial Harmonics are every other way to sound the harmonic, be it (Pinch/Tap/feedback/or whatever)... I don't mind calling it P.H or A.H, but the word A.H seem to be very popular online , and it's not so wrong too ..

[Edited by SLY on 09-14-2002 at 11:53 AM]
# 10
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/14/2002 6:02 pm
But it is wrong. Sorry if I seem to be pesky or nagging, but this is comeing from someone who knows what they're talking about.
The problem is, nothing is for certain over the internet, terminologies get confused as they travel along. I remember a discussion a while ago about ghost notes, and no one could agree on what they really were. Thats why certain things have certain names. Thats why, when I talk harmonics, I use terms like pinch, tap, feedback, etc, not just natural and artificial, because I want people to not get confused.
-And it was good
# 11
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/14/2002 7:03 pm
Man, it's not only spread over the net. I've found the term A.H. as reference to P.H. in the tab legends of many Books (Tabs or Methods) for well known artists (metallica/vai/satriani) and from known publishers like Hal Leonard ... also other Books use the term P.H. .
It's just different ways of callng it, like 'legato' & 'hammer-ons/pull-offs' , 'glessendo'(not sure of spelling) & slides...
Don't bother urself with those terms, even if it causes some confusion for beginners, they'll gain the experience in a short while and they ain't confused no more..
Also you can't make the whole world speak one language, and I'm sure that a lot of people will insist using the word A.H. to refer to the (add thumb to pick atack) thing.
# 12
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/14/2002 7:37 pm
to something else but cant get it accross because of the terminology.But you see, right in your example is another one of those things. Legato and hammerons arent the same thing. Its suttle difference in terms that people get confused. Sorry if I seem nasty to point that out.
Legato just means smooth and flowing, not hammer on or pull off, you could use slides to make something sound legato, or just pick softly, as long as its flowing and nice.
And a glissendo is a rapid slide between two notes a great distance apart from each other. Slides that arent indicated by the word glissendo in music are usually a shorter distance apart.
Anyway, as far as harmonics go, I just find it weird that I could say natural harmonic, and everyone would know what to play, then say artificial harmonic and have one guy pinch, another tap, another do the string touching thing and another guy go over to his amp and make funny sounds.
An artificial harmonic is essentially a harmonic created on a stopped string, BUT, most books will tell you that it is most commonly played by touching the string one octave higher from where its being fretted, and then plucking it with your thumb or another finger.
All harmonics are harmonics, the same thing, but they are given different names because of the way they are created to avoid confusion. If you are educated in this, you'll have the edge over someone who pickes up there terminology over the internet or from a 6 year old guitar player quoting out of his lesson book. And Im not trying to put anyone down here, okay? Good.
I am happy that when someone says tap, artificial, pinch, ect. that I know what to play. I would rather that than play the wrong thing when the guys refering a different technique and doesn't know that they're wrong. Imagine the confusion there. I even got a little confused writing this.
-And it was good
# 13
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/14/2002 11:59 pm
I know that the word legato means to play smooth and flowing... but this is in the general music world ... but in guitar world (I mean in tabs and notes) it's only used to refer to hammer-ons & pull-offs, and about the slide thing you mentioned, they call it 'legato slide', and if I didn't mention it , this doesn't means that I didn't know it..
And about 'glissendo' & 'slide' , I don't see any difference except for the spelling and the word 'glissendo' is Italian (not sure, but it's a europian language anyway), while the word 'slide' is English...
Plz don't reply telling me that English and Italian are both Europian languages !!
I don't know why are you trying to be very precise with this terminology, I don't like to take music mathematicaly, bec it's not a science, it's more about imagination than it is about books & education..
Don't misunderstand me, I'm studying elec. engineering, and I like science a lot, but I like to do every thing as it should be done, in my college, there is right & wrong, but here in the music world, absolutely no body is wrong , every one plays his music as he/she likes.. there ain't exist anything in the music that could be 100% right or wrong.. is there a perfect (amp/guitar/strings/effect/strings/or even a pick) that every body agrees about?! is there anything that we all agree about, from music genres, to your fav. bands , and the best guitarist, etc...
Finally, no offence , I was just saying my opinion ..
# 14
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/15/2002 2:05 pm
I know that the creation of music isn't a science, but you have to know how to write it down.
If you know the right terminology (which you oviously do) then other peope can play and enjoy your work. But if not, then they'll get all confused.
I just like to make sure Im absolutely right when it comes to terminology before I write down an idea. And sometimes when Im learning something new, I like to cross reference it with other scources of info. In fact, the little thing about artificial harmonics was confirmed by a classical guitar book which I was using for reference and my old guitar teacher.
-And it was good
# 15
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/15/2002 8:08 pm
Well, not all books, publishers & artists use the same terminology for a given technique, this is due to the different places they belong to...
And that's why every book have a 'Tab & Notation Legend' , just in order to read it & understand it correctly...
Also I'm sure that I've seen some people write guitar tabs upside down !! also some guys string their guitars upside down .. I know it's very stupid , and that's why it's not popular, but it exist, but I always respect others as long as they respect me..

Keep On Shredding Folks !
# 16
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/16/2002 12:58 pm
Yeah, things are done stupidly. But one thing I really hate is when people uyse terminology that they should know doesn't make sense. I've heard people refere to there whammy bar as a wah wah stick!
-And it was good
# 17
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/16/2002 3:34 pm
Originally posted by Josh Redstone
...I've heard people refere to there whammy bar as a wah wah stick!

WAH WAH STICK !!! Man, I have to admit that this is the funniest thing I've ever heard from guitarists ! lol
# 18
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
09/20/2002 8:02 pm
Hey Josh Redstone.
I have just noticed your offer to email me some excersizes or other stuff to help me...I have taken your advice and am better because of it...still not perfect though. I would appreciate it very much if you could mail me some stuff at phoenix@zanet.co.za
thanks
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 19
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
09/20/2002 8:04 pm
oh and wah wah stick..new one on me aswell.
Here in South Africa I have even heard a poor misled guy call it a volume lever...how he got that I do not know
Andrew
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.