Your Set up?

Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/08/2002 4:46 pm
Hey,

Its not that I have any problems with the width of a fretboard personally. I actually have really big hands so maybe its not really an issue. I always research guitars before I buy them adn I love http://www.harmonycentral.com there I noticed alot of users made reference to the large radius of the fretboard on the standard compared to the classic. I guess I just have to go and try out a few. Maybe those with the problems have little hands? I dont mind the weight of a guitar it makes me feel like I got my money's worth(lol). Anyway did you try out any classics or studio's before going with the standard? If so what did you like that made you choose the standard? Also do you think the money was well spent? I have a great Fender thinine 69' tele reissue that I love but somehow I am just positive that if I put forth the cash for a les paul I will be happy. "If you build it they will come" sort of deal. I am also going to buy on ebay so it makes matters a little harder.

Thanks for your feedback

Thomyorke575

# 1
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/09/2002 5:51 am
here's mine

Then there was sound
# 2
LeftSide
LeftSide
06/09/2002 6:20 am
well those pictures are really pretty.. but can u name the stuff... i can id an MXR pedal (distorttion?), the Mesa/Boogie, the DOD, and the smalltone (overdrive?)... wuts the rest?
# 3
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/09/2002 5:57 pm
I see a sparkle overdrive in their and on the left an electro harmonix pedal, is it the deluxe electric mistress? I also see a good old mesa a/b switch. What kind of guitar do you have? How do you like the sparkle od, and have you ever tried the maxon od820? In my humble opinion its the best od there is.

# 4
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/09/2002 7:39 pm
LOL, I'm sorry I dunno what i was thinking.....Anyway this is the Signal Path:
Guitars Peavey Generation w/ EMGs (Basically an Anderson copy)
and a BC Rich Neck thru

FX in order:
Modded Crybaby(trubypass,vocal mod, fulltone pot,repainted)
DOD Juice Box used as a Booster
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Rocktron Tsunami Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
MXR Dynacomp(soon to go to AnalogMike for his dynaross mod)
EHX Deluxe Memory Man w/ true Bypass

Amp: Mesaboogie Rocket 20 watt w/ a Boogie 1x12 ext cab loaded with a 90 watt celestion.

I don't need a lot of watts, so this is perfect to record in my house and playing live, plus I have a bad back. Anyway, I love my Sparkle Drive, it's a very musical OD. I know it's modeled around the Tubescreamer as is the OD808. I like the Maxon, but chose the Sparkle because of the clean blend knob.
Have you ever tried a Visual sound Route 66 or a Jaques Fuseblower II? Those are cool too.

Then there was sound
# 5
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/09/2002 8:08 pm
"Have you ever tried a Visual sound Route 66 or a Jaques Fuseblower II? Those are cool too".

No I have not. I did alot of research and finally decided to go with the maxon od808, I loved it I actually loved it so much I decided to get another like trey anastasio(uses two I believe), but before I bought another I thought why not do some more research and find out if their is another od that may be even better. Well there is it the big bro to the od808 it is called the Maxon pro series od820. Wow!!! I didnt know that od could kick this much a**. Its much better than the od808, or any tube screamer mods or reissues or probally even the real deal. It is similar to the od808 however has two of the coveted jrc chips and tons of headroom. It is not meant to be a solo distorion pedal however it probally could be used as one depending on your tone preference. Well I hve my set up like this now.

Fender 69' thinline telecaster reissue MIJ
Vision wah
Voodoo-1
Z Vex octane 3 (wow!!!!!!is this a pedal or what)
Voodoo Vibe
Z Vex lo-fi loopy looper
mxr analog delay
fender Blues Jr amp

My tone is unreal, when I pickup my guitar I dont want to put it down the sounds I can create would have Hendrix in ough, however I couldnt imagine what a genious like hendrix could do with my setup. As you may or may not know from my setup I love hendrix and the hendrixian tone and style, I'm also a big jimmy page fan!
# 6
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/10/2002 2:00 am
Cool, I see you are an Anastasio fan. But according to his Tech and this page http://www.redmedia.com/chords/tabs/gearhead/treys_overall_setup.htm Anastasio uses two Ibanez Tubescreamers not two Maxon's unless he has changed recently. Has He?
But all that is relavent since the Maxon is said to be an almost copy of the original Ibanez. As you have mentioned it carries that beloved JC chip, as does the Sparkle Drive and the Route 66, that is why they all sound pretty close except for the latter having their distinguishing features.
The Sparkle Drive has a clean blend knob that lets you blend in as much of the original clean signal with the OD circuit, and the Route has a completly seperate(footswitchable) and good sounding compressor.

Zvex pedals are amazing, god choices, I've thought about getting a Super Hard On.
Have you considered getting a compressor? I know that Trey's Ross compressor is a very important part of his sound. It is also good to point out that he places it after the ODs. You might want to ck out http://www.analogmike.com since you are a Booteek fan.
Then there was sound
# 7
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/10/2002 2:08 am
I think your right I just consider the vintage tubescreamer and the neew maxons one and the same. However the maxon I have is not the tubescreamer it is as I said before "its big brother" it has two of the jrc chips not one. And the increased head room is awesome.

As for z vex he has a disclaimer on his page about people blowing their amps becuase of the extreme boost that the "super hard on" gives. I dont have a compressor I read that mxr makes a quality compressor. I dont know if I need one I really like my sound now. I do like trey however am not trying to find his tone. I am more into hendrix hence my roger mayer pedals. THe z vex octane 3 is just obserd I have never used a pedal that screams like it I think some with think its too much but not me and probally most "tone freaks"

Does trey play a les paul? I thought so? I want to get a les paul classic but dont have the money right now unless I sell some stuff. Do you have a compressor? What type?

Thomyorke575
# 8
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/10/2002 2:32 am
Wow, I'll be careful witht the Zvex SHO if I get it then!
Trey uses Langueduc which is made by Paul Paul Langueduc, his soundman. I think there are only three made.
The MXR you see in my pedaboard pic is a Dynacomp compressor. I too have been searching Trey's elusive tone.
So that is why I'm gonna have Analog Mike do the dynaross mod, which basically restores a Dynacomp to Ross compressor specs, which is what Trey uses. I understand what you mean about being content with your sound right now.
Hey, if you do go for one, Maxon makes an excellent comp, said to be one of the most transparent out there.
Also consider this guy out of OKC:

http://www.robertkeeley.com

Hey man, nice converstaions!
Then there was sound
# 9
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/10/2002 2:59 am
Thats funny you mention the maxon compressor I was thinking about mentioning it but I dont want to sound like I'm trying to throw plugs in for the company. I heard they made a great compressor in fact. How do you like yours? I also like your amp alot a friend of mine has the same one I believe and it sounds great!!

If anyone out there wants the lakers to loose tonight join me for a prayer!!!!!!! Lets go Nets!!!!!

Yeah I would highly recommend anything z vex makes just casue I am so happy with what I have bought of his. If you read reviews of his products I havent come across anyone whose really dissapointed, the only drawback it the price is steep!! Real steep!! The octane 3 cost me $240 and I got a deal. Compare that to the mayer octavia they run $179 or the boss octave ~$89. But I think z vex pedals will be collectors items and they look cool as hell!!!

How do you like that memory man? I had a deluxe electric mistress and it was noisy, too noisy but beside that the sounds were great I just dont use flanger much so I sold it.

THomyorke575
# 10
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/10/2002 4:00 pm
Yeah, I love my Deluxe Memory Man, it can get noisy, but I kinda like the low fi vibe it gives. It does not color my signal with the true byass mod. I've had three EHX products, And this is the one I've liked the most.
I'm thinking of ridding my Small Stone in favor of an Akai intelliphase.
Then there was sound
# 11
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/10/2002 11:46 pm
I had the small clone and thought it was great at first but soon after god sick of it. It is basically Kirt Cobain's signature sound.

I use an mxr analog delay from 1978. Its in great condition and produces a mystical great delay.

I just bought a Z Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky that is true bypass like all z vex products. I like it however dont know if its worth the $310 I paid for it? His products are great but really expensive. I am going to have to fiddle it for a while before I give my final opinions. Some effects take time to get use to and learn so we'll see. There is a compressor in it apparently as well.

I have heard some good stuff about akai but cant say I've ever tried out anything they made personally.

Have any of you ever used a Looper? Where did you place it in your pedal chain? Begining or end?

THomyorke575
# 12
mesabooger
mesabooger
06/11/2002 4:40 pm
No I never have, I want one though. But everyone I know who has one has told me they place it last.
Then there was sound
# 13
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/11/2002 4:47 pm
Yeah I have mine right before my delay which sounds cool. I srewed around with it for a while last night and had a good time creating some really cool sounding rythm's. Thats why I never give an opinion on gear till I have had it a while. Some effects are rather elaborate and take time to get used to and understand their full potential so for now I will just wait and see.

THomyorke575
# 14
joekrebs
joekrebs
06/14/2002 2:36 am
Where to start???

I have:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard in Black
-Epiphone Noel Gallagher Supernova w/ Union Jack Paint job
-Ovation CS257 in Plum Blurst
-Abilene Acoustic Electric

-Marshal 50R
-Kustom 10 watt
-1 personally built 4x12 speaker cab (I'm buying a 100watt marshall head soon)

-Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Vox Wah in Union Jack

I think that's it.

Cheers

Joe
# 15
Migs4
Migs4
06/14/2002 3:01 am
Custom Guitar
-Neck Through
-EMG 81 and 85
-PRS Low Mass Locking Tuners
-Wilkinson Bridge VG300

Yamaha APX-3

Crybaby Wah
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Super Phaser
Ibanez Delay Echo
DOD Super Stereo Chorus

Peavey Rage 158

# 16
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
06/14/2002 7:33 pm
Custom Ibanez RG570 - with an internal Roland GK2 hex pickup, a Sustainiac Stealth and Seymour Duncan '59s.

That goes into a Roland VG-88 hex processor, which feeds...

A Sirocco Crossfire 4.1 amp and subwoofer with 4 Boston Acoustics CR6 monitor satellites.
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.