the computer and my guitar

thegloor
Full Access
thegloor
Full Access
03/14/2014 1:28 pm
So picked up my guitar again a year ago and as a gadget guy I finally bought a Stealthplug and a M-Audio M-Track to connect my guitar to the Computer over USB.

After installing all the stuff on my PC (don't get me started on the copy protect of pro tools) and downloading tha asio4all driver it 'kinda' works. If I boot my system and directly open Ohm Studio I sometimes get my guitar to be heard in the speakers, but then all the other programms can't use them and are just silent. Most of the time the Computer doesn't 'play' the guitar sound and just roots it back to the M-Track.

While I still can record stuff like this, I can't play the guitar and hear sound from the other programs through the same headphone (poor neighbours and such ;))

So in theory it sounds really cool, you have your amplitube or other programs for effects and you can play along a tutorial or a guitar Pro tab and annoy friends with my poor sounding recordings... But like this it's just half as cool as it could be.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this behavior normal? Would it be any better on a mac?
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/14/2014 5:50 pm
I can't help you with your specific computer issues, (sorry) but it does make me want to comment about my own experiences with this kind of stuff. I too bought some hardware/software to enable me to plug my guitar into my Mac, play along with backing tracks and record. I had the same kind of issues you're experiencing, and the software based effects always sounded pretty poor.

A few months ago I bought a BOSS JS10 used for $200. Its got built-in effects, and a built-in speaker system... sounds passable through speakers and great through headphones. What I love about it and could not now live without is the ability to walk in to my practice space, and within 10 seconds I can be up & running, playing to a backing track, or working through instructional audio tracks. While there are lots of cool features (the ability to record, great sounding effects, being able to loop-repeat sections that I want to specifically work on, being able to slow them down, change the pitch of a tune etc) its really this instant "plug 'n play" factor that makes it all worthwhile. Its the best practice tool I've ever used. It reads MP3's off of a thumbdrive. I have multiple thumb drives... one that is basically jamtracks and ideas, another that is all my instructional audio. Its very easy to use and to keep organized.

Totally worth checking out and bi-passing all the computer hassle. I get so much mileage out this thing... I cringe when people complain how expensive they are, and then brag about how many guitars they own... I just think there are some really great practice tools available now (the JS10 isn't the only one out there), and people who are struggling with their computer or playing just with an amp & metronome are really missing out.
# 2
Removed by 165603 via wipe user button 2021-06-09
03/19/2014 12:35 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardI can't help you with your specific computer issues, (sorry) but it does make me want to comment about my own experiences with this kind of stuff. I too bought some hardware/software to enable me to plug my guitar into my Mac, play along with backing tracks and record. I had the same kind of issues you're experiencing, and the software based effects always sounded pretty poor.

Hi Lizard,
I picked up what is called the M-AUDIO.
The small box is loaded with in and out jacls and 5 control knobs.
I got the whole setup with phones,cables and a cheap MIC.
But I read a lot about others having problems.
One of the output jacks allow for a speaker but I still need the computer for the phantom power.
I paid $239.99 shipped so I like to get it going.
I looke at what you have and it up near $500.00
I guess I can hook the speaker to the computer also but several people said the unit is not connected
http://www.m-audio.com/
Mine must be outdated as it's not listed.
As for other audio gear I have commercial grade MIC's and stands,cables and a equalizer
BOB

Former member of the 12:00 Oclock Skydiving Team

o

# 3
03/19/2014 7:53 pm
Can some member here tell me why when it comes to music the big speakers are called monitors?
Some lady moving out of here is giving me an older tube radio stereo set that has 2 big 12: speakers so I may be able to use those with that M-Audio box I have,*BUT* I sure like what Lizard has.
BOB

o

# 4
maggior
maggior
03/19/2014 9:19 pm
Monitors (aka Studio Monitors) have a very flat response. Regular stereo speakers with have parts of the audio spectrum emphasized or de-emphasised to give them more a pleasing sound - more bassy, more trebbly, lower mids, etc. Compared to stereo speakers, monitors can sound harsh.

When you are mixing audio tracks, you want an accurate representation of the sound through flat monitors, otherwise you may be compensating for speaker characteristics in your mix.

Many monitors you find have built in amps, so you just have to input an audio source (like the M-Audio device connected to your computer) and you are good to go.

I have a pair of M-Audio BX2 5" monitors I use that I'm happy with. For listening to music, I added a polk audio sub to round out the bass. When I'm mixing, I turn the sub off.
# 5
03/20/2014 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: maggiorMonitors (aka Studio Monitors) have a very flat response. Regular stereo speakers with have parts of the audio spectrum emphasized or de-emphasised to give them more a pleasing sound - more bassy, more trebbly, lower mids, etc. Compared to stereo speakers, monitors can sound harsh.

When you are mixing audio tracks, you want an accurate representation of the sound through flat monitors, otherwise you may be compensating for speaker characteristics in your mix.

Many monitors you find have built in amps, so you just have to input an audio source (like the M-Audio device connected to your computer) and you are good to go.

I have a pair of M-Audio BX2 5" monitors I use that I'm happy with. For listening to music, I added a polk audio sub to round out the bass. When I'm mixing, I turn the sub off.

Thanks maggior,
I have the full set M-Audio so all I need are the right monitors.
Not far from me is a store that sells,buys and even swap but the last time I was there the ones he had were more like a 3 foot square.
Many thanks for responding with the information
BOB LECH

o

# 6
03/30/2014 10:18 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardI can't help you with your specific computer issues, (sorry) but it does make me want to comment about my own experiences with this kind of stuff. I too bought some hardware/software to enable me to plug my guitar into my Mac, play along with backing tracks and record. I had the same kind of issues you're experiencing, and the software based effects always sounded pretty poor.

A few months ago I bought a BOSS JS10 used for $200. Its got built-in effects, and a built-in speaker system... sounds passable through speakers and great through headphones. What I love about it and could not now live without is the ability to walk in to my practice space, and within 10 seconds I can be up & running, playing to a backing track, or working through instructional audio tracks. While there are lots of cool features (the ability to record, great sounding effects, being able to loop-repeat sections that I want to specifically work on, being able to slow them down, change the pitch of a tune etc) its really this instant "plug 'n play" factor that makes it all worthwhile. Its the best practice tool I've ever used. It reads MP3's off of a thumbdrive. I have multiple thumb drives... one that is basically jamtracks and ideas, another that is all my instructional audio. Its very easy to use and to keep organized.

Totally worth checking out and bi-passing all the computer hassle. I get so much mileage out this thing... I cringe when people complain how expensive they are, and then brag about how many guitars they own... I just think there are some really great practice tools available now (the JS10 isn't the only one out there), and people who are struggling with their computer or playing just with an amp & metronome are really missing out.

Hi Lizzard,
I ordered a open box demo from Sweet Water for $389.10 Shipped.
I should have it WED. of next week then everything here will be set up.
BOB

o

# 7
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/31/2014 3:47 am
That's great Bob... I think you'll get a ton of use out of it! :)
# 8
04/04/2014 7:55 am

Hi Slipin Lizard,
My BOSS JS 10 arrived today.
I just unpacked it and I guess this weekend i'll start playing with that.
I haven't read the book but I don't think software comes with it so I hope it works with WIN 7.
Got it as a demo and it looks factory new for $386.10 shipped.
BOB

o

# 9
04/27/2014 5:23 am

I still have the JS 10 and now it's to late to return it so it's still for sale for any reasonable offer BOB (609)638-1629

o

# 10

05/25/2014 9:48 pm
Hey bob.what dont you like on the boss js10?
Is it the speakers ?
Like slip said , which I agree on is plug and play.
Not to mention its portable,
what is it that ur looking for?.an amp ect.
Well maybe the boss js10 is not for everyone, as there are way to many toys to be bought.for me I love it,and thank slip for the introduction.
It keeps me on my toes , playing in all 12 , all kind of genre's.
And at times I use it just for the tracks alone, pick out a btrack and plug my axe into my DSL OR BLACKSTAR .well I wish you well.
# 11
wwdog60
wwdog60
08/30/2014 12:07 am

Hey Lizard this is wayne from ny,all I have is my guitar and my amp,would love to spice up the sound ,it sounds like you know what your talking about,could you steer me in the right way as far as buying some hardware or software to help me out just want to get some different sounds to make mt music more appealing,do you think the js10 would do it or is it to complicated for a beginner on recording and things,i would appreciate any help from anyone thanks
# 12
mbliss01
mbliss01
08/31/2014 1:10 pm
Originally Posted by: thegloorI finally bought a Stealthplug and a M-Audio M-Track to connect my guitar to the Computer over USB.

After installing all the stuff on my PC (don't get me started on the copy protect of pro tools) and downloading the asio4all driver it 'kinda' works. If I boot my system and directly open Ohm Studio I sometimes get my guitar to be heard in the speakers, but then all the other programs can't use them and are just silent. Most of the time the Computer doesn't 'play' the guitar sound and just roots it back to the M-Track.

While I still can record stuff like this, I can't play the guitar and hear sound from the other programs through the same headphone

Am I doing something wrong, or is this behavior normal?[/QUOTE]
It sounds like you are experiencing a common problem due to misunderstanding......
When you add a device such as what you mention, and run the ASIO driver, you are bypassing the on-board sound card. The device becomes the dedicated sound-card or audio device. This is done to provide the potential for reduced latency (The delay between what you play and what you hear.)
Listening via either the headphone output of the added audio device, or the monitor outputs of an added device should be the first fix for this. Getting the computer routing settings sorted and things functioning as desired another step, and getting buffer settings sorted for playback and recording performance yet another step.
This is all intimidating at first, you are not alone in that. But stick with it and once through a bit of a learning curve you will get it.
Further tips: The ASIO4All driver is a generic compromise that sometimes doesn't work to well and leads to frustration, it is best to use a device that provides its own ASIO drivers, such as is likely included with the M-Audio product for example.
Pro-Tools, and many other Daw programs are very complex and not very beginner user friendly. I would recommend a less difficult to learn program for starting out. There are several options, Audacity is free and a good basic place to start and see if PC based recording is for you. Next up, I would recommend checking out Acoustica Mixcraft. Free demo, user friendly relatively intuitive interface yet powerful and loaded with features for the price range. They also host a very helpful user forum that is a great place to learn and get help.

[QUOTE=thegloor]Would a Mac be better?

No. The same complexity, same learning curve.

This can be conquered. If this old guy can figure it out, you can. Google, You tube, Manufacturer websites, books, study. Then Jam.
# 13
KDford67
KDford67
09/01/2014 3:58 pm
I retired a year and a half ago, seems like yesterday, with the intention of getting serious with guitar and related subjects including songwriting and recording. Best isn't always the most expensive. The more expense the more savvy you have to be to stay afloat. First thing I did, okay call me an old fart, was got a Fretlight guitar. Read and listen about them and on youtube before you judge. Sound is terrific and works well with future venues. Anyway, first came Mixcraft 6 Home Studio software. It was tolerable and I did a few backing tracks but the ASIO4all wasn't up to par. Didn't care for the software either and plugins/interface not included. Remember, I'm not a techie. Then comes Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface. It's a joy for guitar, midi and mic plug ins and sound. A joy to pay for but don't get their additional, you pay dearly for it, hardware that includes headphones, microphone and patch cords. Get your own, I like my Shure SM48 and as long as headphones response goes up to 20,000 Hz I'm happy. Still like the driver that comes with it but absolutely hate the Ableton Live 9 included software. My deliverance has been Band-In-A-Box 2014, it has RealBand with it. And still prefer the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio driver and inexpensive hardware interface. Good luck.
# 14
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/07/2014 2:08 pm
Originally Posted by: mbliss01
Originally Posted by: thegloorAm I doing something wrong, or is this behavior normal? Would it be any better on a mac?

No. The same complexity, same learning curve.

I know this is an old thread but...

With a Mac, you get Garageband pre-loaded for free. Garageband is very friendly and much easier and understandable for the newby. Also, it is pretty powerful and capable of pro-sounding recordings.

Home recording, when your new. is not super easy no matter what...even though Garageband may not be as robust as Pro-Tools, there is little you can't get out of Garageband that you can't get out of other DAW's and particularly if you are new to it.

I should note that I just picked up a new Mac with the newest version of Garageband. Kinda frustrating...while the interface is cool, apple has sorta of dropped support for third party amp Sims/virtual instruments.

What is loaded with it is great but I have a whole suite of Amplitube stuff that I have to somehow redirect to the old songs I've recorded so far...So if you are an old user of Garageband, beware. If you're new to recording and are getting a Mac, don't worry about it. What's preloaded is pretty cool.
# 15
09/18/2014 11:40 pm

YUP,I agree,
It seems that we can't do a thing with no software or computer and the bugs they develop
I'm playing Fire & Rain and Stand by me.
I just need more time on being faster with cord changes
BOB LECH

o

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.